Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
7,426 Posts
The car has been on sale for awhile now it just has a propeller badge on the front.
What do you mean? If you're referring to the Z4 it shares the chassis and engine with, the new Z4 won't be in the dealerships until March.

·
straight cash homie
19,019 Posts
I watched the reveal and I really like the styling of the Supra as well! I like the 3.0L inline 6 as well but I wish a manual transmission were an option. Still, it looks to be a great car and I can't wait to see it compete with it's competitors!
I agree, I would want one with a 6 speed at least. They're making one with a 4 cylinder (not likely for our shores) that's asking for a 2JZ swap.

·
TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
7,426 Posts
As much as people are crying that it's more of a BMW than a Toyota, the only thing that BMW co-developed with Toyota is the engine, chassis, and infotainment.

The suspensions, interior, body is all developed by Toyota, some using BMW parts as you will notice some BMW stamping on the "arms and bars" of the suspensions.

BMW nor Toyota has test driven each other's cars during development so the engineers do not know how each car performs.

The transmission might be shared but the programming is different from the Z4.

All in all, it does not handle the same as the Z4 would.

·
CRESSIDA!!!
1984 Toyota Cressida
5,616 Posts
As much as people are crying that it's more of a BMW than a Toyota, the only thing that BMW co-developed with Toyota is the engine, chassis, and infotainment.

The suspensions, interior, body is all developed by Toyota, some using BMW parts as you will notice some BMW stamping on the "arms and bars" of the suspensions.

BMW nor Toyota has test driven each other's cars during development so the engineers do not know how each car performs.

The transmission might be shared but the programming is different from the Z4.

All in all, it does not handle the same as the Z4 would.
It’s a BMW. I could care less what Toyota did to the suspension, GM put Delco alternators in Corollas and Prisms. Doesn’t make them GM cars. BMW platform, engine, interior, built in Austria and not Japan. The VIN with the “Z” and no “T” to signify the manufacturer is the perfect symbol for what a disaster this pig is.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I don't get it

The original Supras had those super reliable straight sixes. Those were some of the best engines ever built. Bmw engines are OK. Some expensive flaws mostly in peripheral components. So why go there? Must be new generations of execs at Toyota. They may regret it. I hope they re-engineered some of those components. I have owned Supras and BMW. I would not care to buy a new Supre and end up sitting in a BMW interior. I like Toyota for what they are which is very un-bmw. I also think that they are competing with 440 hp C6 and C7 Corvettes.
The Supra will be fun to drive. Maybe the Toyota crowd will embrace it here and in Asia. Get a good warranty!

·
Registered
128 Posts
For all the naysayers, you'll get your answers as to why Toyota partnered with BMW on the new Supra here:

If you don't care for the overview of the car, go to the index link for his final thoughts:

I ran into Mark's videos by accident. I have to say he is one of the best reviewers of cars out there. I respect his opinion more than many so called experts on the Internet. And to tell you how much of a real car guy he is, he backs up his rhetoric with his wallet/actions. While the Toyota 86 wasn't the complete package, he bought one to show his support to Toyota for what they were trying to do. How many of you have voted with your wallets? To expect Toyota to dump tons of money into developing a sports car from scratch with the undeniable shrinking market for sports cars is foolish.

·
straight cash homie
19,019 Posts
I ran into Mark's videos by accident. I have to say he is one of the best reviewers of cars out there. I respect his opinion more than many so called experts on the Internet. And to tell you how much of a real car guy he is, he backs up his rhetoric with his wallet/actions. While the Toyota 86 wasn't the complete package, he bought one to show his support to Toyota for what they were trying to do. How many of you have voted with your wallets? To expect Toyota to dump tons of money into developing a sports car from scratch with the undeniable shrinking market for sports cars is foolish.
If people can live with M3s and M4s, I can live with the car as is though my biggest qualm about it is that it doesn't offer three pedals.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have owned both Supras and Z4s . The older Supra motor was used in racing in the old Firestone Firehawk Sports Car Series with none other than Dan Gurney. That series of motors are still running and some are putting out 1000 hp at the wheels using big turbos. The cars were considered quite heavy but had double wishbone suspension and 50/50 weight distribution. So it was actually quite competitive.
Toyota probably needed a more EPA friendly design and the BMW straight sixes have been undergoing continuous development all these intervening years. It is a silky smooth light weight design. The short block is very light. However back in the 80s when Porsche made well under 300 hp a well driven Supra with a boost controller could have a lot of fun at track events and the reliability was so very good, except for the brakes which were cheap and easy to work on.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts