Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to know what is the quality of Toyota synthetic oil and Toyota oil filers. I have a 2018 corolla. Oil and filter is supposed to be Changed every 10,000!miles. My question is: is the Toyota synthetic oil and filter good quality where it will last 10,000 miles or you should not go 10,000 miles on Toyota synthetic oil and filter.
Any info would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
522 Posts
First of all , I hope you don't think Toyota makes oil and filters . They are made by different suppliers to the standards Toyota wants. So yes they are good but why not just change every 6 months and be done with it.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
M70. I just wanted to know since Toyota recomenends 10,000 miles oil changes would the Toyota oil and filter last that long.
Also would it be better to do 5,000 miles oil changes. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
A few members have sent samples to Blackstone and 10k is perfectly acceptable.
Keep in mind that, until 2002-2006, depending on the model, Toyota recommended 7,500 mile intervals for "normal" use and 5k for severe. This was with non-synthetic 5w30. Look up the maintenance/owner's manual for a 2003 Tundra on the Toyota owner's site.
During those years, as Toyota "facelifted" dash displays, they added the "Maintenance Required" light, which was and still is just a 5,000 mile countdown timer.
Pushing everything to 5k was a simplification move. If Toyota had put some intelligence behind it like Ford and GM, most of us would have continued to 7k or so.
My '06 Silverado (Duramax) OLM recommended changes anywhere from 8k to 12k based on my driving conditions.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cb91710. Just asking. I have a 2018 corolla. Toyota recommends changing oil/filter at 10,000 miles. Is that what is should do or if I really want to take care of the car would it be better to change oil every 5,000 miles. What do you think.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Going by the manual will not void the warranty. But Good Grief , if it bothers you then just change at 5000 miles or 6 months . It is threads like this that caused one auto related forum to ban oil related threads because they do not have a half life.

·
Registered
985 Posts
10,000 miles is NOT what Toyota engineers would recommend for very long engine life and emission system componet life. 10,000 is the MAXIMUM odometer mileage an owner can go and still keep the 5 year, 60,000 mile powertrain warranty in effect. So it's OK to use 10,000 if you plan to sell/trade the vehicle every 5 years/60,000 miles.

Owners who want to keep their cars for many years and miles beyond 5 years/60,000 miles without facing four figure engine, transmission and emissions system componet repairs should change oil every 6 months or 5,000 miles. And do other services like transmission fluid changes, spark plug changes and coolant changes more frequently than the scheduled maintenance guide suggests too.

Oil analysis does not measure all the ways oil deteriorates so is an unreliable guide. Oil analysis is promoted by lube forums that market speciality lubes and additives in order to lure unsuspecting owners into thinking they need to purchase these specialty products plus purchase oil analysis.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kathy. I have a 2018 corolla. Just asking. Can the actual synthetic oil last until 10,000 miles. Also can the Toyota filter last until 10,000 miles or it clogs before 10,000 miles.
Is it better to follow maintenance schedule and change oil every 10k miles or
Really take care of the car and change oil every 5k Miles’s
That is the dilemma. Thanks

·
Raymond10078
220 Posts
10,000 miles is NOT what Toyota engineers would recommend for very long engine life and emission system component life.
I would like to communicate with the Toyota engineers you cite. Can you point me to a source? I mean, I assume you are speaking first hand from communicating with them.

I will add that the Toyota maintenance schedule that came with my car extends out to 120,000 miles, maintaining the same 10,000 oil and filter change interval.

I will also add that some of today's oils certainly possess the ability to run more miles or months before a change. In my opinion, I'd rather change out the filters every 5,000 miles, and the oil every 10,000 miles. I base my desire to change the filters every 5,000 miles on my own personal experience. I've noted that a dark oil (at 5,000 miles) will lighten a bit when the filter is replaced, so there must be some benefit. I can't say that the benefit is worth the extra cost, but I feel better about it.

I use Mobil 1 Extended Performance (or something like it - I didn't go to the garage and look - that is supposed to retain its necessary properties out to 15,000 miles. I'm not advocating that - and I choose to replace at 10,000 miles - which, for me - is about every three or four months.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Once it's out of warranty then it's your problem. So the 3 years extended oil changes will certainly the car should have no problems making that but I'm still waiting on the guys that use the 10k and keep there cars for 15+ years like I do to see how they survived. I'm going 5000 miles on the oil changes because it takes about 9 months to get that mileage. And as pointed out Toyota specs the products and I'm sure goes with the cheapest supplier. Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
Cb91710. Just asking. I have a 2018 corolla. Toyota recommends changing oil/filter at 10,000 miles. Is that what is should do or if I really want to take care of the car would it be better to change oil every 5,000 miles. What do you think.
It is entirely up to you.
Personally, I go 10,000 on my Corolla... which is roughly every 4-5 months.
I go once a year on my wife's Rav4... it's a '15 with less than 30k on it.

It won't hurt anything (other than your wallet) to change at 5k if you aren't comfortable at 10k, but honestly, *especially* with modern engines and synthetic oils, 5k is overkill if you aren't towing. Even non-synthetic is acceptable to 7,000 miles under "normal" conditions.
If most of your trips are short and the engine doesn't get up to full temp and maintain long enough to boil out the condensation and combustion acids from the oil, then it would certainly be a good idea to change sooner... but then again, under those conditions, you aren't likely running 10k/year anyways. Go every 6 months if that's the case.

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
Once it's out of warranty then it's your problem. So the 3 years extended oil changes will certainly the car should have no problems making that but I'm still waiting on the guys that use the 10k and keep there cars for 15+ years like I do to see how they survived. I'm going 5000 miles on the oil changes because it takes about 9 months to get that mileage. And as pointed out Toyota specs the products and I'm sure goes with the cheapest supplier. Just my opinion.
Almost 70k on my '16 Corolla. Doesn't use any oil between changes.
Went 160k on my '08 Tacoma... I went 7,500 miles on synthetic on that one, OEM filters. Traded it in on the Corolla in '16.
Wife's '04 Rav4 went 150k changing at 7,500. It was an oil-burner, but it was consistent from when it was new... a little under a quart every 3,000 miles, so we knew what to expect. Traded it in on the new Rav in '15, so it was 11 years old.
'94 Pickup, went 225k changing with non-synthetic every 7,000, traded it in on the '03 Tundra in late '02, so it was 8 years old.

No smoking, no oil usage (other than the 4.2 Rav), no engine failures, inside of the oil cap was clean on all but the '94.

You aren't going to find anyone with a car 15 years old who has followed Toyota's recommended 10k with 0w20 synthetic since they did not start recommending the extended intervals until around 2008-2010, and it was gradually introduced as models were updated, and even then, sometimes they went to 10k on the 4 cylinder but held the V6 models to 5k.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Kathy. I have a 2018 corolla. Just asking. Can the actual synthetic oil last until 10,000 miles. Also can the Toyota filter last until 10,000 miles or it clogs before 10,000 miles.
Is it better to follow maintenance schedule and change oil every 10k miles or
Really take care of the car and change oil every 5k Miles’s
That is the dilemma. Thanks
When Toyota specifies 10,000 mile oil change intervals, they are following requirements in some countries (notably in the EU) to extend oil change intervals in order to use less hydrocarbons and to reduce the amount of used oil disposal (which is an environmental issue). Although Toyota engineers have bought off on the 10,000 mile oil change, it is not their idea, and not necessarily the absolute best for engine longevity. One of the things that Toyota engineers have said is that to go 10,000 miles, a synthetic oil must be specified.

The same is somewhat true of oil viscosity. Extremely low oil viscosity (0W-16 and maybe 0W-20) will provide better gas mileage (a big concern in many countries), it is not necessarily be the very best for engine longevity.

The idea that oil specifications, oil change intervals, and warranty terms are 100% up to the Toyota engineers is a false narrative. They are often given constraints that cannot be altered for environmental and regulatory reasons, and told to do the best they can with them.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I wanted to know what is the quality of Toyota synthetic oil and Toyota oil filers. I have a 2018 corolla. Oil and filter is supposed to be Changed every 10,000!miles. My question is: is the Toyota synthetic oil and filter good quality where it will last 10,000 miles or you should not go 10,000 miles on Toyota synthetic oil and filter.
Any info would be great. Thanks.
A synthetic oil like Mobil 1, or especially Mobil 1 EP is at least as good as Toyota branded oil. If you can get Mobil 1 cheaper at Walmart than the Toyota brand, that is what I would use.

Oil filters are a little more tricky, especially for cartridge type filters now used by Toyota. I don't think the filter element is anything special on a Toyota branded filter, but at least you know the Toyota brand is exactly the right size to fit inside the canister, which is much more important for a cartridge system as opposed to a metal spin-on filter.

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
Who has good cartridge oil filters for 2018 corolla. Thanks.
I stick with OEM.
Buy a case of 10 from a dealer online for $40-$50 shipped.
Mobil-1 and K&N filters are good, but WAY overpriced at $15 or so.
Bosch, Wix, Napa, and Purolator filters are good and reasonably priced.
Stay away from AC/Delco, STP, Lee, Champ, Supertech (Champion Labs non-synthetic)
Pennzoil, MicroGard, Fram (Fram produced).
Supposedly, the $$$ Fram filters are decent, but personally, I just avoid *all* of their products except for cabin filters.

But for my Toyota vehicles, I stick with OEM filters and fluids except for oil.
I don't replace them often enough to where saving a couple of bucks, or the convenience of 3rd-party brands at the nearby auto parts store is really worth it, and dealers who sell online are generally VERY competitive, as long as you are placing an order that's over $50 or so (due to the minimum shipping charges), or you aren't ordering heavy or bulky items.

A few of my favorite dealerships to buy from:
Camelback Toyota
Carson Toyota
Cool Springs Toyota
Titus-Will Toyota
Toyotapartsdeal.com

·
Registered
522 Posts
Bull6791 , just go to the dealer while your vehicle is under warranty and have them do it so you will have records. After that just use the correct weight and type oil. Any brand name is good enough . Now , find something else to obsess over .

1 - 20 of 42 Posts