Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 96 XLE V6 is at the dealership now getting the valve cover gasket changed. It has a little oil leak.

While being fixed, the dealership is letting me drive a 05 Corolla LE. After driving it around a bit, taking in the interior and exterior body style, plus looking at the engine, I have to admit....I love my Gen 3 Camry.

The Corolla looks like an Asian version of the VW bug. The body has a similar dome design, similar antenna on the rear center of the roof, the 4 banger is loud like the Rav 4 and older corollas. The Gen 5 Camrys don't look all that different from the 05 Corollas.

To me, it is undeniable that Toyotas have superior technology and most reliable engines. When the Gen 4's came out, I was disappointed with the new body style. However, after looking at the Gen 5 body styles...the Gen 4's are not looking all that bad. However, I feel the Gen 3's are the best.

Does anyone else have an opinion about the new Camry body styles?

·
TN's furry friend
1995 Toyota Camry LE
4,472 Posts
the gen 6s will hopefully be bad azz

like the gen 5s but still too bland

gen 4 is nice but still not too stylish, 4.5 had better lights

love gen 3.5s because i have one :nana:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WhiteRabbit said:
the gen 6s will hopefully be bad azz

like the gen 5s but still too bland

gen 4 is nice but still not too stylish, 4.5 had better lights

love gen 3.5s because i have one :nana:
You know, I've read many referencess to Gen 3.5's and 4.5's. What makes a Gen 3 a 3.5? Modding?

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,304 Posts
Its the years. Gen 3 is 92-94. Gen 3.5 is 95-96.

As far as Gen 5s go, I have to disagree with both of you whole-heartedly, and the Gen 5 Camry looks nothing like the Gen 9 Corolla. Two different worlds.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
white3ch0c0late said:
Its the years. Gen 3 is 92-94. Gen 3.5 is 95-96.

As far as Gen 5s go, I have to disagree with both of you whole-heartedly, and the Gen 5 Camry looks nothing like the Gen 9 Corolla. Two different worlds.
Oh cool...that means my 96 Camry is a Gen 3.5.

Anyway, as far as the Gen 5 Camrys go, the body is definately more domed shaped than its Gen 3 and Gen 4 predecessors...although it still retains a bit of its longer sedan front hood compared to the Corolla. Both the Gen 5 Camrys and Gen 9 Corollas have the A-Frame front bumber...that seems to be the common feature in the newest models, for the Rav4 too...and perhaps some of the larger SUV's.

Has anyone actually measured the total length of the Gen 5 Camrys? It looks shorter than the Gen 3s, but thats just my opinion.

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,304 Posts
Gen 3 Length = 187.8 in.
Gen 3 Width = 69.7 in.

Gen 5 Length = 189.2 in.
Gen 5 Width = 70.7 in.

Each Gen Camry is always bigger than the last. Gen 2 was bigger than Gen 1. Gen 3 was bigger than Gen 2. Gen 4 was bigger than Gen 3. And so on. The 6th Gen is going to be bigger than the Gen 5.

The fact that its more dome shaped... which luxury sedans do you see on the road that aren't dome shaped? Bimmers, Lexus', Camry's, Avalons, TLs, RLs, Accords, Audis, and Benz's are all dome shaped, to name a few. (at least all except their sports models ie. Benz SL500).

·
Lost to follow up!
96 Camry Coupes
12,154 Posts
I feel the gen 3/3.5 are the best so far, of course I've had two of them, driven a gen 4, but I haven't driven a gen 5 yet...so i could be wrong...my daughter likes the 3.5 better than the gen 4 she just totaled, and my wife likes driving the 3.5 Coupe better than the 04 accord she usually drives......:disappoin

Shimpi...my V6 needs valve cover gaskets too, how much is the stealership costin ya?

I've been quoted 250 from my mechanic!! Thanks

·
Registered
200 Posts
I read articles about the Gen4 when it came out. Toyota was under extreme pressure to cut costs. They cut about $1600 out of the Gen4 compared to the Gen3's. I had a '96, it was a well made car that had gotten too expensive to sell against the Taurus. I am glad my 99 Avalon is built on the Gen3 platform. Toyota is not what it used to be. But, they are successful. I just don't think you will see the current cars running around at 300K as reliably as the pre-96 designs.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sloopercat said:
I read articles about the Gen4 when it came out. Toyota was under extreme pressure to cut costs. They cut about $1600 out of the Gen4 compared to the Gen3's. I had a '96, it was a well made car that had gotten too expensive to sell against the Taurus. I am glad my 99 Avalon is built on the Gen3 platform. Toyota is not what it used to be. But, they are successful. I just don't think you will see the current cars running around at 300K as reliably as the pre-96 designs.
Whoa. You know, come to think of it, I have heard the Gen 4's weren't as well made as the Gen 3's because Toyota was cutting costs on materials and stuff. I wonder what corners they cut to bring the cost lower.

Taurus....who the F- wants a Taurus?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Taurus....who the F- wants a Taurus?[/quote]

The Taurus and Camry were in a dogfight for the number one slot and Taurus won. The number one SUV is an Explorer. The American public's buying decisions amaze me. If you look at the depreciation curve for a Ford, they lose about 50% value each year. At 100K, you can't give them away, while a Toyota of similar mileage will still sell for at least 1/3 of it's sticker price. Go figure....

"No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public." Henry Mencken

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,304 Posts
^Which years, exactly? Because... Camry has been the #1 selling car for the last 7 of 8 years.

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
eyeball96 said:
I feel the gen 3/3.5 are the best so far, of course I've had two of them, driven a gen 4, but I haven't driven a gen 5 yet...so i could be wrong...my daughter likes the 3.5 better than the gen 4 she just totaled, and my wife likes driving the 3.5 Coupe better than the 04 accord she usually drives......:disappoin

Shimpi...my V6 needs valve cover gaskets too, how much is the stealership costin ya?

I've been quoted 250 from my mechanic!! Thanks

that sounds about right for the valve cover gasket(s)
it's a bitch to remove the intake plenum just to get to the valve covers

as long as your mechanic is back there though, get him to change your plugs as well- you may as well, as some mechanics don't like to forcibly reach back there and would rather charge more and do it properly by removing the intake plenum

·
The Greatest
3,830 Posts
Gen 6's look terrible. Look a lot like a Mazda3 and the front end reminds me of a rodent....

Gen 5 - I love how they are tankish and look very classy. I think big rims and making the car Luxury is a good option to go w/. Although My friend's neighbor has the TRD kit and some gun metal rims and it doesn't look that bad.

Gen 4 - They look good. I think the headlight design and especiailly w/ a TRD kit it looks pretty sick.

Gen 3 - Its decent but a little too round for my tastes.

Gen 2 - Too boxy.

·
Lost to follow up!
96 Camry Coupes
12,154 Posts
Eye8Pussies said:
that sounds about right for the valve cover gasket(s)
it's a bitch to remove the intake plenum just to get to the valve covers

as long as your mechanic is back there though, get him to change your plugs as well- you may as well, as some mechanics don't like to forcibly reach back there and would rather charge more and do it properly by removing the intake plenum

Thanks for the information, yea I was planning to change the plugs at the same time! I usually use bosch platluim plugs! Is there a spark plug that performs better in the 1mz V6?

·
Registered
95 Posts
The Gen 6 is unbelievable!!!! Huge change from current model.
The Gen 5 is nice....I really didnt think muich of them until I started working here, but they are nice.

No offense, but I HATE the gen4....probably because I LOVE the gen3 (which i have had 2) it is very obvious Toyota was cutting costs on that model, plus the ergonomics are awful.
I will admit, the TRD makes a vast improvement.

But i love my 3.5 coupe....she is a little banged up right now, but I think they are still one of the best looking cars on the road (I know I am biased) I love the shape, the driver oriented dash, everything.

And a note, about the gen 9 Corolla....a lot of folks at the dealership say it is actually riding on the gen3 Camrys chassis. Not sure if this is true, but if you look at the demision's they seem very similar, especially the interior

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,304 Posts
eyeball96 said:
Thanks for the information, yea I was planning to change the plugs at the same time! I usually use bosch platluim plugs! Is there a spark plug that performs better in the 1mz V6?
Oh... oh no... Bosch plugs = :eek:wnedsmas...use Denso or NGK plugs. People that use Bosch plugs in Toyotas end up with misfiring problems and junk like that.

·
Turbo S2000 FTMFW
2005 Honda S2000
2,047 Posts
I like the gen 3.5 the best, and there's no beating a camry coupe IMO :)

·
Lost to follow up!
96 Camry Coupes
12,154 Posts
white3ch0c0late said:
Oh... oh no... Bosch plugs = :eek:wnedsmas...use Denso or NGK plugs. People that use Bosch plugs in Toyotas end up with misfiring problems and junk like that.

Is that a fact! I've never had misfiring problems before using bosch, but I'll take your advice and use Denso or NGK...any special type? Which is better? IYO?...Thanks

·
hollywood dropout
2001 Camry
136 Posts
I currently own a gen 4.5, i think when they are released the gen 6 will be the best camry yet.
Gen 3/3.5 are ok if they are dressed correctly... I really like my 4.5 i just wish it had more power.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts