Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Toyota Tercel 1992 3ee want to swap to 5e fe I need a hardness or I can use the same of the 3e

·
Registered
Prius
55 Posts
I doubt the 3ee ECU can run the 5efe engine properly??? Now if you can get the 5efe and the ecu engine harness then it's a plug and play deal. Short of that you'd have to match the 3ee and 5efe engine harness together. And depending on what year 5efe you use ... you may need to deal with the no fuel reline on the fuel pressure regulator and no distributor???

Both changes can be done but you need to know they are there. :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've done the 4efte swap in a tercel and I will tell you now that it's a waste of money and time to do a 5efe swap (unless this tercel is mint condition or you've heavily modified it with mods) you can easily find a 95-99 tercel for less than its cost to swap the 3ee to a 5efe
But if you love the body style and love the car just spend a little bit more and get the turbo 4efte engine. You'll have to send your wire harness to get spliced with the new one which is about $2-300 from gtrevva (legend among the tercel tuning community) unless you know the wiring diagrams

·
Registered
Prius
55 Posts
ugh well that sucks! I used to have phone number. He made a 3ee to 5efe harness for me! I should have kept the "DIS" but I'm a dumb ass at times so I had it config'd for a distributor ... my bad.

But it blew up ... I blame the freaking shop! They could not handle the return-less, line system or converting the Distributor, so I had to do it. And then they F'd up the timing Belt, Water Pump change??? T-Belt not properly secured???

I only found that because I decided to "double check everything they did! And found the tensioner not properly mounted??? I fixed it but you know ... to late! :(

But I can rebuild it, or put the 4efte in?? Don't know but no, GT Revva so mostly I'll go piggy back or Standalone??? I was crushed to see Tercelonline was gone??? There was a hugh wealth of knowledge on that Board! It really sucks to have lost it. :(

·
Registered
74 Posts
Jeez what kind of shop did you take it too xD
And that site closes and opens ALL the time but it might be gone for good, not too many people care about the good old tercel...
I'd maybe just find someone on craigslist to splice it if you arent comfortable, standalone is super expensive! Then again it has more tuning possibilities... the nice thing about gtrevva is that he had TONs of spare parts and sensors he could give/sell if your engine was missing any! He actually fixed my throttle position sensor that was smashed during importation
ugh well that sucks! I used to have phone number. He made a 3ee to 5efe harness for me! I should have kept the "DIS" but I'm a dumb ass at times so I had it config'd for a distributor ... my bad.

But it blew up ... I blame the freaking shop! They could not handle the return-less, line system or converting the Distributor, so I had to do it. And then they F'd up the timing Belt, Water Pump change??? T-Belt not properly secured???

I only found that because I decided to "double check everything they did! And found the tensioner not properly mounted??? I fixed it but you know ... to late! :(

But I can rebuild it, or put the 4efte in?? Don't know but no, GT Revva so mostly I'll go piggy back or Standalone??? I was crushed to see Tercelonline was gone??? There was a hugh wealth of knowledge on that Board! It really sucks to have lost it. :(

·
Registered
Prius
55 Posts
Jeez what kind of shop did you take it too xD
And that site closes and opens ALL the time but it might be gone for good, not too many people care about the good old tercel...
I'd maybe just find someone on craigslist to splice it if you arent comfortable, standalone is super expensive! Then again it has more tuning possibilities... the nice thing about gtrevva is that he had TONs of spare parts and sensors he could give/sell if your engine was missing any! He actually fixed my throttle position sensor that was smashed during importation
LOL well to be fair, I did kinda, mislead the guy??? I said 92 Tercel, 3ee and it needs a new motor that I can supply! I kinda sorta "neglected to mention?" 5efe JDM, Dis and no return fuel line. And another ECU with a new engine harness (GT Reva.)

I did not have the time to do it myself. And in retro spec had I just had him do the hardware and had it towed home?? It would most likely still be running?? But I chose to drive it home and it ran worst than it did with the blown motor!!! And when I decide to double check the work done?? That is when I found he'd f'd up the timing belt???

And I mean come'on a T-Belt on a job on a 5efe?? Any idiot can do that job. :)
But apparently in the 16 mile drive home with unsupported T-Belt, the damage was done?? It ran great after the Dizzy swap and the return line addition but then it started to rattle like a bucket of bolts??? So 4 grand down a rat hole! I parked it back yard years ago where it still sit's. :(

As to why that shop?? I met the guy at Auto Zone and he had a modded, customized BMW!
And spoke to him about the car and he mentioned the he owned an Auto Shop?? So I took my motor there and had him do the swap. Cuz you ow if he can handle a BMW a Toyota ... should be a piece of cake?? But yeah turns out ... I knew about the Tercel, then he did ... my bad.

But moving on ... times have changed and a Standalone these day's can be even cheaper than a "Piggy Back" ... if you know where to look. :)

For instance ...

That ECU is less than a "Piggy Back!" But of course a bit more complex, to set up and you have to build the harness, so there is that. :)

So yeah ... but it will again! I have a 4efe on the engine stand but hey a 5efte would be better! Longer stroke so 30 percent more torque out the gate. :)

Depending on what let go in my 5efe??? I don't know what let go?? It just rattles like hell??? It sounds like broken valves?? I don't know?? I was to depressed to look. I'd done a lot of work on the Terk, mostly all suspension stuff. And in the Canyon's 86 HP and all ... it was a "monster!"

And by way of comparison I have a modded 86.5 Porsche 944 and a well kinda crazy modded 944 Turbo aka 951. And I tended to favor the Terk! And if the road's were wet ie raining and or snow?? The Terk got the call. :)

But I plan on getting it back on the road next year and either a 4efte or depending on damage?? 5efte??

But yeah not having Tercelonline, around anymore ... just sucks! And there was a lot of info on those car's there! And I would know cuz I was one of the one's that dealt with suppression mod's! We rolled on 7x17, 205 45's and on the back road's we kicked butt! :)

2000 lbs car's with short wheel bases ... are hard to beat in the canyon's! And know doubt my modded 951 is faster?? But with that monster, you would often ask, is that a 100 mph+ blind off camber corner?? :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts