Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
'18 Corolla SE
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The market for midsize coupes has always been a volatile segment. In a culture obsessing with The New, the hairdressers of the world are likely to trade up their two-door barges for something of the SUV or crossover variety.

Toyota Motor Sales exec, Jim Lentz, recognizes this trend and feels that the automaker's development dollars could be put to better use. So in an interview with Ward's Auto, Lentz alluded to the fact that the Solara will likely be dropped from Toyota's lineup in the near future

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/01/19/toyota-to-honda-you-can-have-midsize-coupe-market-we-out-sort/

·
Newbie One Kanobi
2003 Toyota ECHO!!
8,984 Posts
As stated on the site comments its pretty ironic that Nissan and Honda are bringing or plan to bring a coupe to the market of course there is already the Accord coupe now. I think one reason why the Solara hasn't been as successful besides small market but also its not tuned to be "sporty." Its a floaty soft ride also its big (from what I read)! Don't get me wrong I like the second gen and I think it looks sharp. I think Toyota could be more successful if they made it more of a sporty coupe rather than a "soft" family coupe. Just my .02.

·
Registered
2007 Matrix XR
16 Posts
I've known 5 Solara owners

...All women age 28-45, none sports car enthusiasts, and all have gone on to buy another vehicle which was neither Toyota, nor sports car. Mostly SUV's or Honda sedans.

Just my curbside market research observations.

Could giving the Solara a sporty tuning improve sales? Well, they weren't aimed at sports car enthusiasts in the first place, so who can say?

The better question (to me) is... what will replace it, and what target market group will Toyota aim for with the new vehicle?

·
Every road's a playground
2000 camry ce
1,338 Posts
Its a floaty soft ride also its big (from what I read)! Don't get me wrong I like the second gen and I think it looks sharp. I think Toyota could be more successful if they made it more of a sporty coupe rather than a "soft" family coupe. Just my .02.
they can get the SE trim and yea it is big, esp the doors. theyre pretty heavy so once you open itll swing out

·
Millions &millions served
2013 Camry SE
8,078 Posts
trxr said:
I thought the Solara looked like ass from the start.
I agreed. I don't think that its not sporty enough, I think its the styling and the poportion - ugly ass and too godamn big.

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
Suites me fine. Solara only sells on average 1/2 of what the Avalon sells.
or, around 10% of what the new Camry sells.

If a car doesn't pull it's own weight. Nix it.

·
Registered
2 Toys
412 Posts
A camry coupe would be nice, but ya, the solara will be discontinued for 2008. Not sure if thats model year or actualy year of procution. The Ace will take its place

·
Millions &millions served
2013 Camry SE
8,078 Posts
the solara is not a camry coupe? anyways, they should have made the solara a hardcore 2dr camry or a "big" celica. why would ppl buy a solara when its the same as the camry....

·
Registered
2 Toys
412 Posts
The ace is basically a wagonish/ute vehicle that uses the 2GR engine and is supposed to be offered in fwd and awd. Too lazy to find a link to concept photos right now.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I heard that they might only keep the Solara Convertible...why not make it a Hybrid Solara Convertible?

I think that they need the extra capacity in KY to increase Camry sales, especially if the TCH takes off and most of the production is transferred here. They are already committed to farming out 100,000 more Camry units to the Subie Indiana plant so it looks like they are planning for 550,000 to 600,000 units of Camrys in the future.

They also might move some of the Highlander production to KY since this next Gen is reported to be on the Avalon frame anyway.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I always loved the Solara......but there was always something that annoyed me about it, must have been because it looks like a boat. This current generation Camry would make for a sexy coupe, so hopefully the Camry coupe will appear once again :clap:

·
Registered
187 Posts
the bulk of solara drivers were old(er). many accord coupe drivers seemed younger (women under 40 or so). probably 75%+ of the solara drivers I saw were over 40 (most of 50 or retirees)

i don't think the market is dead, I think the product-offerring has grown stale. either do a full makeover or find something else to fill the gap. sounds like they're going with the later.

·
Idon't brag I mostlyboast
MTA MetroCard
5,951 Posts
Sebas007 said:
Toyota Corp in Japan never confirm that the Solara would be discontinued yet !!
1) Its a North American only model, built and designed by TMS USA. It was never sold in Japan.

2) Camry coupe? It is officially called the Camry Solara.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts