Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1000 Posts

·
New 2009 SE Owner
06 Tundra 09 Camry
62 Posts
Probably a dumb question:
Will a brake override system not allow you to tail brake into corners with the accelerator and the brake?,
or will it only activate under extreme conditions?

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
It's just the clips really, if installed properly, it's not gonna move an inch. :facepalm:

·
It's Soo Hoo like Yoo Hoo
3,220 Posts
Dealers will be instructed on how to modify the pedals before the end of the year and will begin shortening the accelerators in 2010......Transportation officials said dealers will shorten the length of the accelerator pedal on the recalled vehicles and in some cases remove foam from beneath the carpeting near the pedal.
sounds like its gonna be a hack job to me...

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
i've had my '73 celica and other old cars w/o the mat clip for over 13 yrs and it has cheap floor mats from target. havent had any problems like this. not even close.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Although the floor mat caused the problem, I think to cause the deaths requires a V6 vehicle with 276 hp to do it. There is another incidence involving a Camry V6 in 2006 in San Jose that caused death. The v6 can move from 0 to 60 mph in just six seconds. So if you floor the pedal it will reach 120 mph in another six seconds. This is much shorter than making a 911 call.

·
0 Posts
That smart peddle fix...will be just a software reflash of the ECM?

·
Registered
273 Posts
With the smart brake, why do I need to modify the gas pedal? I don't get it. Is this just for public relation?

·
'08 SE
31 Posts
It's just the clips really, if installed properly, it's not gonna move an inch. :facepalm:
This. I don't see my floor mats moving, unless the clips are improperly positioned or somehow breaks off.

Maybe there is a deeper underlying problem, which is disturbing.

·
Dogging It
956 Posts

·
A Toyota's a Toyota
407 Posts
Obviously Toyota says it's the floor mats, this way it doesn't scare anyone. Then they are saying they'll fix the pedals and put in brake/throttle controls to give piece of mind to consumers. Personally, and I preface this by saying I love my Toyotas and I wouldn't trade them in for any other car on the road (in their class), I think they have discovered the problem and are fixing it without admitting there is a problem.

·
ConeKiller Camry
2010 Camry LE
1,043 Posts
Toyota also said it would provide newly designed replacement floor mats for the driver and front-passenger side.
I've been waiting for this. Whether or not the floor mats, aftermarket or not, are the cause, I hated how they poked holes through a brand spanking new floor mat. I hated the feeling of buying a brand new car, then having it vandalized the second I purchased it. Essentially, not a new car...

1 - 20 of 1000 Posts