Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to an article in Forbes, Toyota is developing a "radically different" means of production that will substantially reduce the cost of designing and manufacturing its cars. This is not surprising, considering that ultra-cheap cars from China are expected to start hitting the USA market at the end of 2007.

http://www.forbes.com/markets/feeds/afx/2007/01/21/afx3347163.html

Hopefully, this won't have an impact on the quality of their products...

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
From http://www.breitbart.com/news/2007/01/22/070122074327.pbtqfqv6.html

"Watanabe declined to set a price for a low-cost car but said it would be "at least" less than the Logan.
Renault has started production of the Logan, which will cost from 5,000 euros (6,200 dollars) on up, touted as a budget model for consumers in emerging economies such as China and Russia that conforms to European standards. Watanabe said that Toyota could slash the price by targetting costs throughout production."

Less than $6200, Wow

·
Gen 4 XLE v6
02 Toy Solara V6 MT
3,192 Posts
every gen replement entails cost-cutting measures. I recall when gen4 camry came out, toyota made a statemetn that the front facia (bumper/headlights/indicators) had less parts than the gen3 model (and same goes for gen5 versus gen4). IMO, toyota does a great job trying to reduce cost at the engineering levels already. Stick to it...at the entry levels's bring out cheaper scion's and some with 4 door sedans and/or hatches'

·
Registered
2004 Camry
142 Posts
Word has it that China is bringing a car over here and it will be selling them for lees than 10k for any model. It will be interesting on how it effects the car prices then.

·
Newbie One Kanobi
2003 Toyota ECHO!!
8,984 Posts
As most of us know Toyota already implements some of the most cost effective production in the world but I'm concered they are going to or have crossed that line of too much compromise with quality of parts and material. I read from time to time how Toyota interiors (generally speaking) are "cheap" or not up to par as they were in the past. Anyway I'm glad Toyota is finding ways to improve effeciency just hope they don't go overboard. Just my .02:thumbup:

·
TN Member
Prius
5,461 Posts
Yeah, I'd be concern with quality reduction. We all saw what happened with Carlos Ghosn and Nissan with his cost-cutting measures. The 02 Altima and 03 G35 sedan were great cars but the interiors weren't up to par in their respective categories. Even the 03 Murano I test drove. I love the real aluminium trim and the funky design of the interior (which is to say stylish in my eyes) but sitting it it, it didn't exude the same feeling of quality as our (then newish) 02 Camry which cost Cdn$20k less and has fake woodtrim.

·
Newbie One Kanobi
2003 Toyota ECHO!!
8,984 Posts
Tideland Prius said:
Yeah, I'd be concern with quality reduction. We all saw what happened with Carlos Ghosn and Nissan with his cost-cutting measures. The 02 Altima and 03 G35 sedan were great cars but the interiors weren't up to par in their respective categories. Even the 03 Murano I test drove. I love the real aluminiun trim and the funky design of the interior (which is to say stylish in my eyes) but sitting it it, it did exude the same feeling of quality as our (then newish) 02 Camry which cost Cdn$20k less and has fake woodtrim.

You make very good points but the only difference with Nissan and Toyota, at the time Nissan was operating in the red and was pretty much on its death bed so Ghosn had to implement drastic cost-cutting measures and now that Nissan is doing better (for the most part as the past year there sales were down) they have much better interior (so I read) than previous gen Altima's. But still their quality overall isn't the greatest.:thumbup:

·
Toyota & Scion Sales
2000 Echo
114 Posts
CLIFFJONES said:
Word has it that China is bringing a car over here and it will be selling them for lees than 10k for any model. It will be interesting on how it effects the car prices then.
Look at Kia, and even Hyundai. Car prices will not change because China imports some cheap low quality cars. By quality, I mean engine, tranny, support materials, and I am sure theri crash test ratings are gonna be terrible.

·
Newbie One Kanobi
2003 Toyota ECHO!!
8,984 Posts
Tideland Prius said:
I just realised my post had some spelling errors. Well, I guess I was using Nissan as a worst-case scenario?

No worries!!!!:D :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
This is concerning. The cost-cutting measures used today are already apparent in Toyota interiors. I'd hate to see what else they'll do. Flimsy, cheap plastic is in.

You know, the silver plastic trim covers the cheapness of a certain type of plastic. Automakers love using it these days. Still, it's often noticable.

·
since 1996
05 Impreza RS 2.5
1,772 Posts

Here is an easy way for toyota to cut the price of cars with out even changine the line. As some of you already know Toyota artaficially inflates the prices of their cars because domestic auto makers (primarily GM) ask that they do so, probably threatening to have law makers increase taxes on import cars behind closed doors. They could throw caution into the wind and tell GM to go f*** them selves and suggest making better cars to increase sales instead of asking them to increas prices to ward buyers away from them to buy a pos domestic.

But... if Toyota does go trough with this current plan they'll just do what the domestic companies are doing now and use crappier materials and cut costs in the usual places. No doubt if they do this they quality will probably drop sugnificantly. The only way I see a good comming out of this is if they go the "make our own new materials" route but even then... Unless they plan on doing nothing short of getting their own mines and steel mills as well to really cut out the costs but I don't see that happening.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts