Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like Toyota is updating its powertrains with dual VVT-i for a smoother powerband, increased gas mileage, and cleaner emissions. The new 2AZ will first debut in the new RAV4, and then the 2007 Camry.

Toyota said:
The standard powertrain has also been improved, boasting a 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine with dual VVT-i and 166 horsepower, making it one of the leaders in four-cylinder power in the small SUV segment.

·
Registered
33 Posts
EKam said:
Dual VVT-i on a FE head? I call shenanigans. :bullshit2
http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/future/rav4/performance.html

Unless the person that wrote it online mistaken it for another engine or cut and pasted the information from the previous sentence referring to the 3.5L:

ToyotaUSAWebsite said:
Performance was key in redesigning the 2006 RAV4. Its optional, class-leading 3.5-liter Dual VVT-i V6 [1] engine has an astounding 269 horsepower. The standard powertrain has also been improved, boasting a 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine with dual VVT-i and 166 horsepower, making it one of the leaders in four-cylinder power in the small SUV segment. Add improved fuel economy ratings to the mix, and you've got one compact SUV to be reckoned with.

·
Registered
406 Posts
TRD4EVR said:
http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/future/rav4/performance.html

Unless the person that wrote it online mistaken it for another engine or cut and pasted the information from the previous sentence referring to the 3.5L:
Interesting. So it is indeed straight from Toyota.

It is strange then that here it is not listed as Dual VVT-i.

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/future/rav4/index.html

To be honest, I think it's more likely than not than it has Dual VVT-i. I mean fuel economy remains the same as the outgoing Rav 4 2.4L, despite the new one being heavier and having more power. With 4wd, the 2.4L actually gets better economy than the outgoing 4wd Rav, thanks to the electronically controlled system.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
You can find the same sentence quoted above in the Performance section of the new RAV4 page, AFTER the sentence on the 3.5L.

Dual VVT-i is important on the 2AZ because it's the volume leader, since it replaced the 5SFE in 2002. The 5SFE was sold in millions of vehicles, much like the 2AZ will be. I believe Toyota added DVVT-i to this engine to offset the on-paper horsepower/torque loss, for cleaner emissions, and for better gas mileage.

You can tune DVVT-i engines in two ways: economy or performance. The 2AZ's cams and valve timing programs are obviously based more towards economy. If you want performance, then opt for the 2GR-FE, which has a more aggressive profile. If you want a DVVT-i performance 4 cylinder, the engine will naturally be noisier and harsher than its economy based sibling: the blacktop 3SGE - 210hp @ 7600rpm/159lb-ft @ 6400rpm.

I don't believe Toyota added direct injection to the 2AZ, yet. It might be an improvement later on down the line. The 2AZ will be with Toyota for a while.

Performance was key in redesigning the 2006 RAV4. Its optional, class-leading 3.5-liter Dual VVT-i V6 [1] engine has an astounding 269 horsepower. The standard powertrain has also been improved, boasting a 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine with dual VVT-i and 166 horsepower, making it one of the leaders in four-cylinder power in the small SUV segment. Add improved fuel economy ratings to the mix, and you've got one compact SUV to be reckoned with.

I don't know of any other ways to increase power AND fuel efficiency without changing the valvetrain or injection scheme (i.e. direct injection).

EDIT: Forgot to add that DVVT-i on the 2AZ will go hand in hand with the updated Hybrid Synergy Drive in the new Camry.
Also, under the old SAE ratings, the new 2AZ would put out around 172hp. The tC should receive this engine in short time, unless it conflicts with the TRD Supercharger. If that's the case, the engine won't make it in the tC.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Okay, now I have actual proof: the 2AZ was updated with direct injection and not dual VVT-i as the text says. It is now known as the 2AZ-FSE in Japan, though this one puts out 163 metric hp @ 5800rpm and 170lb-ft @ 3800rpm. Power output is nearly identical to the RAV4, but the RAV4 gets a more powerful version, so I'd expect 166hp/173lb-ft.

Found in the Avensis sedan:
http://toyota.jp/avensissedan/dynamism/engin/index.html

It doesn't rule out dual VVT-i in the upgrades, but a power gain from D-4 is usually around 5 crank hp or so on 4 cylinders.

·
Registered
406 Posts
91MR2quickNA said:
Okay, now I have actual proof: the 2AZ was updated with direct injection and not dual VVT-i as the text says. It is now known as the 2AZ-FSE in Japan, though this one puts out 163 metric hp @ 5800rpm and 170lb-ft @ 3800rpm. Power output is nearly identical to the RAV4, but the RAV4 gets a more powerful version, so I'd expect 166hp/173lb-ft.

Found in the Avensis sedan:
http://toyota.jp/avensissedan/dynamism/engin/index.html

It doesn't rule out dual VVT-i in the upgrades, but a power gain from D-4 is usually around 5 crank hp or so on 4 cylinders.
Just checked Toyota.com ... new Rav 4 is up:
http://toyota.com/rav4/specs.html

2.4-liter DOHC 16-valve SFI VVT-i 4-cylinder
166 hp @ 6000 rpm/165 lb.-ft. @ 4000 rpm

Looks like I was correct in my guess, in that the 2AZ still does not have Dual VVT-i. If it did have DVVTi, power would be higher than this. Plus, DVVTi combined with D4 injection would yield close to 200HP.

For the Rav 4, the manifold and camshaft were modified to squeeze out extra power and refinement from the 2AZ.

Also, check out the fuel economy, it's even higher than originally estimated!

4-cylinder
2WD

4WD
24/30

23/28

V6
2WD

4WD
22/29

21/28

This is amazing ... 22/29 for the V6 Rav 4? 30mpg hwy for the 2AZ? This is midsize sedan level fuel economy, in an SUV! This looks to me like best in class mileage :clap:.

·
TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
7,832 Posts
situman said:
What does BEAMS stand for?
Breakthrough Engine with Advanced Mechanism System

It's actually a new design from their previous engines in the past. It's not much of a difference from their old designs, but it's mainly to give out more power but still maintain it's gas efficiency in the process. :)

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
BEAMS is just a name for VVT-i/DVVT-i/VVTL-i engines.

If I were to get a RAV4, I'd pay the extra $2000 for the V6. The differences in MPG between the I4 and V6 are almost non-existant.

·
Registered
406 Posts
91MR2quickNA said:
BEAMS is just a name for VVT-i/DVVT-i/VVTL-i engines.

If I were to get a RAV4, I'd pay the extra $2000 for the V6. The differences in MPG between the I4 and V6 are almost non-existant.
Agreed. The new GR V6 engine range continues to impress with it's power and economy.

If the Rav 4 V6 can get economy that good, then I'm guessing the Camry V6 fuel economy will also be class leading.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Okay, so maybe I was right afterall. Toyota did update the 2AZ-FE with dual VVT-i, but only selectively. I knew dual VVT-i served a higher purpose, and Toyota uses a detuned (Atkinson cycle) 2AZ-FE with dual VVT-i in the 2007 Camry Hybrid to achieve better emissions and fuel economy.

It is official.

Eh, the link didn't work. You have to look at the general eBrochure on Toyota's site for the 2007 Camry
http://www.toyota.com/toyota/vehicles/2007/camry/ebrochure.jsp
It is only listed in the brochure.

This should clear up any previous confusion in this thread.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Well what do you know :clap:.

Toyota, being understated as usual, hid the fact in an e-brochure that it's the Dual VVT-I version of the 2AZ in use in the Camry Hybrid.

I wonder if the other Camrys will get this engine as a mid cycle update, or if the next-gen Camry will have it?

I keep hearing that the next Corolla is supposed to have an all-new 1.8L engine. Toyota is right at the front of the pack right now in V6 engine development, as well as V8 engine development. They even have V10 and V12 engines covered. The only thing really lacking is their 4 cyl engines, but I'm hoping that on top of a new 1.8L 4 cyl, there will be a new 2.4L 4 cyl, or at least a more substantially updated 2AZ.

·
Registered
1 Posts
.e.e.r.r... -_-"...
since when toy has a Dual VVT-i for 2AZ-FE?
Dual VVT-i for the V6 is only implemented in the intake valves cams. because it has 2 intake valve cams, thus it called DUAL VVT-i.
if toy wants to upgrade 2AZ to Dual VVT-i, it has to be GE head cause of physical and mechanical reasons. so far toy has only 3S-GE in altezza (RS200) implemented both intake n exhaust cams with VVT-i, a. k. a. Dual VVT-i for 4 cylinders engine.

·
TN's Pilot in Command
1999 Lexus RX300 AWD
379 Posts
kanazai2001 said:
.e.e.r.r... -_-"...
since when toy has a Dual VVT-i for 2AZ-FE?
Dual VVT-i for the V6 is only implemented in the intake valves cams. because it has 2 intake valve cams, thus it called DUAL VVT-i.
if toy wants to upgrade 2AZ to Dual VVT-i, it has to be GE head cause of physical and mechanical reasons. so far toy has only 3S-GE in altezza (RS200) implemented both intake n exhaust cams with VVT-i, a. k. a. Dual VVT-i for 4 cylinders engine.

Sorry bro, you are wrong there. The new xGR series is a true dual vvti engine. Both on the intake and exhaust cams. I hope that you dont think that the i on VVT-i means intake. It means intelligence if you didnt know. As far as the 2AZ goes, the only 2AZ that has the dual VVT-i feature is the Camry hybrid. All other 2AZ engines are just regular VVT-i. The engines dont have to be G-heads for them to be dual. Just look at the IS350 engine code......2GRFSE....3.5L V6 engine with economy head(F), and with D4-S twin injection system (S).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.