Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Camry XLE
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I own a 2010 Camry XLE with 22000 miles in it with an extended warranty.. I live in California so no salt on the roads to damage the mufflers or exhaust system. I drive the car normally and it has never been abused. I had noticed that the paint or covering on my mufflers was peeling off. Links to photos here:

I took it to the dealer for repairs and this is the response I received.

I just got word from my Toyota representative and he is declining any assistance based on what he says appears to be outside influence on the parts and not a factory defect based on the images from the photographs. I apologize I am not able to assist you in this matter. Please contact me if you have any further comments of concerns.

I have decided to appeal the decision. I am looking for resources to make the appeal for Toyota or car warranty attorneys. Any information you think may help would really be appreciated. Thanks. Joe

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
i dont see anything wrong.
someone painted the muffler. the paint is now coming off.

grab a can of BBQ high heat flat black paint, and repaint it.
done deal.

·
CRESSIDA!!!
1984 Toyota Cressida
5,612 Posts
The paint has no effect on the performance of the car. Infact, Toyota is pretty much the only one that paints the mufflers and they've done so for ages. It's mostly done cosmetically since the shiny, metal muffler looks cheap.

·
TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
7,407 Posts
Like everyone said, just your typical wear and tear problem. Just repaint it. It's not enough to have Toyota cover it since it doesn't hinder the car in performance or reliability directly.

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
34,875 Posts
I second the high temp matte bbq paint idea. The muffler gets hot and rusts and the black paint is just a coating to keep em looking good while they're on the lot.
I agree with this approach too. The OP's situation is one of those where it's not worth it to go through the warranty hassle when a ready fix can be done so cheaply and easily. I've done this same "fix" on other cars I've owned over the years.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,442 Posts
OP - are you going to take everyone's advice & just paint it? Sounds like a pretty simple fix to me.

·
Save The Manuals
1999 Avalon XLS
1,837 Posts
Or if it fits your taste, swap it out for a set of Magnaflows :cool:

·
2013 Tacoma
2010 Yaris 4-Door LB
612 Posts
The muffler on my wife's '96 RAV4 was entirely exposed and was mounted sideways so it was very obvious. The whole things was painted and that paint began to peel within a year. So I masked off the back end of the vehicle and repainted it with some high-temp flat black grill paint. It lasted about another year and I had to do it again. At some point I remember just giving up....lol.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,442 Posts
He hasn't logged on since the original posting. :facepalm: Good answers gone to waste....
12 posts in 6+ years.....maybe he felt his quota for the year had been met. :lol:

·
My Other Truck
3,805 Posts
So What!! It still looks like Sh_t
Then why don't you just take everyone's advice and paint the SOB? Crap like this isn't worth a trip to the dealership.

Oh BTW maybe Caltrans doesn't salt your roads, but they dump tons of it in my part of the state, along with corrosive anti-icing spray solution.
I bet if you've ever been to the Sierras in winter, you've been exposed to the same stuff. At any rate, I don't see it as a Toyota warranty issue.

·
CRESSIDA!!!
1984 Toyota Cressida
5,612 Posts
Then why don't you just take everyone's advice and paint the SOB? Crap like this isn't worth a trip to the dealership.

Oh BTW maybe Caltrans doesn't salt your roads, but they dump tons of it in my part of the state, along with corrosive anti-icing spray solution.
I bet if you've ever been to the Sierras in winter, you've been exposed to the same stuff. At any rate, I don't see it as a Toyota warranty issue.
Never knew they used salt up in the Sierras. I know over in the Cascades (Lassen, Shasta) Caltrans doesn't use it, and they get lots of snow.

·
Premium Member
05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
13,973 Posts
Never knew they used salt up in the Sierras. I know over in the Cascades (Lassen, Shasta) Caltrans doesn't use it, and they get lots of snow.
They use it, just not like they do back east. Part of that is because the cinder they use is mixed with things to dry out the roads. Believe me though, there is plenty of salt piled in the sheds both up and down the freeway from me. And I can tell when they've used it (vehicles turn white and the roads are stained white from its use). Here's their policy:
http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/snwicecontrol.pdf

1 - 20 of 25 Posts