Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'm a learner driver, 17 years old. The car is relatively new, 25000 miles on the clock. When out on a lesson a week ago, I was changing down from third to second gear as I have done many times before - I'm not completely new and have had a fair few lessons - the clutch was in throughout. There was a minor judder in the stick that I felt, and a loud crunching noise. My instructor [mum!] told me to stop.. which I did so, and then upon trying to continue there was a clicking noise that was evident as soon as the car was in any gear.

We have had the car recovered and taken to the Toyota official dealer, in the hope to fix it, assuming the gear box has been knackered. However.. the car is quite new, and they have just got back to us today and said that the second gear has had "all the teeth stripped off it" and hence a new second gear will need to be rebuilt in the gearbox and the whole thing fixed up. Its going to be an expensive job.

My question is more to do with what I could have done to strip the second gear. We were in a car park, I was doing 12mph and was changing from thrid to second. The clutch was definitely in, so I really don't get what I could have done. I'm just more concerned about the future and it happening again if I don't know. Is there something obvious that I probably did to cause it? Or could it be a sign of previous wear and I just happened to be driving? Either way, I thought toyotas were supposed to be very reliable, so I am a little concerned. :confused:

Thanks in advance
-Ian

·
Gen 4 XLE v6
02 Toy Solara V6 MT
3,192 Posts
There are lemons in every manufacturer. May be its not you and its your mom! :dunno: I'd say ensure you and you mom know how to drive a stick. And if you all do know...then it could be a lemon defect in the car!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hehe thanks for the response. She probably revs the engine too much IMO :D

I don't see what it could have been that I did.. I mean maybe my gear changes arent the smoothest being new but I havnt been learning that long so I don't think it can be my long term effect on it. I was thinking more.. was it fine and then suddenly then it failed due to my action, or was it already damaged and I was just the final straw to break the back :p: ?

I guess I will never know..

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
I dont know what kind of car you are driving (am assuming a Yaris?... whatever the hell that is)... but.... I don't think there is any car that isn't geared to be able to go from 3rd to 2nd at 12mph. That is a very slow speed to downshift.... it should have went in like butter if you ask me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right.. what I was thinking :)

I think the American version is the "Toyota Vitz" but its called Yaris over here in europe

Toyota Yaris

Toyota Vitz

·
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
Looks like an Echo HB.... which we still don't have... haha. I think the Canadians got one though. We have an Echo... just no hatchback.

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
yep,

JDM = Vitz

UK/Europe = Yaris

Canada = Echo Hatchback

·
GT-i Crew
632 Posts
Hmmm that shouldn't have happened, I mean... my gearbox has 192.000 Km on it, the sycros have practically gone AWOL so I learned to double clutch so not to push what was left of the syncros; a few days ago my foot slipped off the clutch pedal right when I was pushing the stick into 3rd gear overtaking a bus on a single lane highway... imagine the rest :eek:

The crunching sound of my poor 3rd gear was heard all the way to Iceland, my girlfriend, who was with me, told me she had seen the horrified faces of the passangers on the bus after hearing the noise.... :hammer: but the gear is Ok and still runs strong.

I really don't think that your 2nd gear bought the farm, I would rather think is was the syncro (witch Toyota makes of plastic so you would have to replace sooner or later) that went rather than the gear itself.

AFAIK gears are solid metal, syncros are plastic... metal wins over plastic on my book any day. :D

·
Bootyologist
2004 Toyota Camry LE
1,531 Posts
ishcoleobo said:
Looks like an Echo HB.... which we still don't have... haha. I think the Canadians got one though. We have an Echo... just no hatchback.
I've seen a Toyota Echo HB before, I see a couple here and there in NY.

Edit: You should have it on warranty, it should be alright.

·
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
lcarocha said:
Hmmm that shouldn't have happened, I mean... my gearbox has 192.000 Km on it, the sycros have practically gone AWOL so I learned to double clutch so not to push what was left of the syncros; a few days ago my foot slipped off the clutch pedal right when I was pushing the stick into 3rd gear overtaking a bus on a single lane highway... imagine the rest :eek:

The crunching sound of my poor 3rd gear was heard all the way to Iceland, my girlfriend, who was with me, told me she had seen the horrified faces of the passangers on the bus after hearing the noise.... :hammer: but the gear is Ok and still runs strong.

I really don't think that your 2nd gear bought the farm, I would rather think is was the syncro (witch Toyota makes of plastic so you would have to replace sooner or later) that went rather than the gear itself.

AFAIK gears are solid metal, syncros are plastic... metal wins over plastic on my book any day. :D

Kinda sounds like today when I was setting my Manual Boost Controller. My first run... I had no idea where the thing was set... so I hit boost and the damn turbo shot up to like 22psi and shot my CEL!!! There were all these people jogging and crap.... they were like... what the hell?!

2k4CamThrilla said:
I've seen a Toyota Echo HB before, I see a couple here and there in NY.

Edit: You should have it on warranty, it should be alright.
It came from Canada then.... US didn't get them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The warranty is just out. They are willing to give us a small discount from the labour and parts cost considering the age of the car as a gesture of goodwill and it only doing 25k miles. It will still be over £1000 :(.

·
Country Hick
2001 Nissan Pulsar
1,339 Posts
ianb said:
The warranty is just out. They are willing to give us a small discount from the labour and parts cost considering the age of the car as a gesture of goodwill and it only doing 25k miles. It will still be over £1000 :(.
How longs the warranty for? Thats gotta suck tho..

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yaris=Vitz=Echo Hatchback=Scion xA?
Yaris=Scion xA with a few visual changes?

Sorry to get a bit off topic, just trying to clear some things up.

·
Country Hick
2001 Nissan Pulsar
1,339 Posts
JSVH said:
Yaris=Vitz=Echo Hatchback=Scion xA?
Yaris=Scion xA with a few visual changes?

Sorry to get a bit off topic, just trying to clear some things up.
According to the Latest Wheels Australia magazine (it has an article on Toyotas new direction and design plant):

USDM Scion xA = JDM Toyota ist (not Echo, vitz or yaris they are all seperate to the ist)
USDM Scion xB = JDM Toyota bB
USDM Scion tC = JDM Toyota tC

·
Registered
110 Posts
ok, but doesnt xA share their platform with the Echo? If so, is that also shared with Yaris?
Or is it just the engine that is shared between the xA and the Echo :confused:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts