Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Relatively new owner of a 2019 Camry XLE here! Finally made the move from my old 2003 Camry XLE back in the middle of August. Still getting used to the 8-speed transmission but I'm very happy overall.

I have been searching the forums and Google for some answers to questions I have but no solid results. Was hoping that the folks here at TN can help me out!

I know that ToyotaCare goes for 2 years or 25K miles (whichever comes first). Suppose I idle a ton and want them to change the oil at 5K instead of 10K. I don't see any text in the documentation that limits the actual number of service visits. Would asking them to change the oil at 5K somehow reduce the number of total oil changes I would get with the service - or is it SOLELY based on the time/mileage? I asked my salesperson via email the other day and he said that the service department would definitely try to steer me away from premature service but I could "do it externally if I wished" - Just need somebody to clarify the policy on this.

In a related sense - I've read that ToyotaCare Plus is not worth it. Is that the general opinion here as well?

Finally, the finance manager gave me a spiel when I was paying for the car about how the extended bumper-to-bumper warranty could pay for itself if the computer system goes bad. But I wasn't about to throw down $1500-$2000 on an extended warranty. I've had great luck with Toyotas in terms of reliability. But the amount of technology in this car does worry me a bit. I'm inclined to go without the extended...but with my luck I'll need it haha.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Glad to finally be in a new car for the first time in my life.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
If you want to do more frequent oil changes than recommended, most dealers will allow that provided you end up getting only two free oil changes total.

I think that the electronics in new cars is a concern, and makes getting an extended warranty a tougher decision that it used to be when there were not as much to go wrong. You can buy a Toyota Extended Warranty (technically known as the Toyota Vehicle Service Agreement or VSA) from any dealer in your state, so shop around.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you want to do more frequent oil changes than recommended, most dealers will allow that provided you end up getting only two free oil changes total.

I think that the electronics in new cars is a concern, and makes getting an extended warranty a tougher decision that it used to be when there were not as much to go wrong. You can buy a Toyota Extended Warranty (technically known as the Toyota Vehicle Service Agreement or VSA) from any dealer in your state, so shop around.
Awesome, thanks! I know ToyotaCare can be redeemed at any dealership - would it help if I went to the point of sale dealership for two oil changes and then got oil changed at another local dealership?

Also - is there a ballpark neighborhood I should look at for a "good" price on the Extended Warranty stuff? I read elsewhere of people finding it for around $800 at the absolute minimum (and in those cases those individuals were advising to go for it). I can't remember the exact number - but the finance manager at mine was pretty high - somewhere between $1500 and 2K.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Awesome, thanks! I know ToyotaCare can be redeemed at any dealership - would it help if I went to the point of sale dealership for two oil changes and then got oil changed at another local dealership?

Also - is there a ballpark neighborhood I should look at for a "good" price on the Extended Warranty stuff? I read elsewhere of people finding it for around $800 at the absolute minimum (and in those cases those individuals were advising to go for it). I can't remember the exact number - but the finance manager at mine was pretty high - somewhere between $1500 and 2K.
[/QUOTE
I can't answer your first question. I would think the service would be recorded in the Toyota computers, so I would not think that trick would work, but I don't really know.

With regard to the extended warranty, there are different levels (most people get Platinum), different miles and years that are extended, and maybe even different deductibles, so you need to specify which one for an apples to apples comparison. If someone told you a price they paid and didn't specify these details, it is not much good to compare. Also (obviously) different vehicle models and trim levels have different extended warranty prices.

·
Registered
286 Posts
My only comment on the extended warranty is if you get one go with 100% dealer service at perscribed intervals. They go by toyota records as far as honoring the warranty, doesn't matter if you have receipts from other shops.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My only comment on the extended warranty is if you get one go with 100% dealer service at perscribed intervals. They go by toyota records as far as honoring the warranty, doesn't matter if you have receipts from other shops.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
This is really good advice. Thank you!

I think I'll be using the dealer for all of my repairs for the foreseeable future on this car. I didn't mind taking my 2003 (got it used) to my local mechanic...but I'd rather stick to the book for the new one.

·
BOBfromNJ
15 Posts
This is really good advice. Thank you!

I think I'll be using the dealer for all of my repairs for the foreseeable future on this car. I didn't mind taking my 2003 (got it used) to my local mechanic...but I'd rather stick to the book for the new one.
Another idea is to put the money you would spend on the extended warranty in a safe investment. This way you will always have the money to fix any repairs in the future.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Relatively new owner of a 2019 Camry XLE here! Finally made the move from my old 2003 Camry XLE back in the middle of August. Still getting used to the 8-speed transmission but I'm very happy overall.

I have been searching the forums and Google for some answers to questions I have but no solid results. Was hoping that the folks here at TN can help me out!

I know that ToyotaCare goes for 2 years or 25K miles (whichever comes first). Suppose I idle a ton and want them to change the oil at 5K instead of 10K. I don't see any text in the documentation that limits the actual number of service visits. Would asking them to change the oil at 5K somehow reduce the number of total oil changes I would get with the service - or is it SOLELY based on the time/mileage? I asked my salesperson via email the other day and he said that the service department would definitely try to steer me away from premature service but I could "do it externally if I wished" - Just need somebody to clarify the policy on this.

In a related sense - I've read that ToyotaCare Plus is not worth it. Is that the general opinion here as well?

Finally, the finance manager gave me a spiel when I was paying for the car about how the extended bumper-to-bumper warranty could pay for itself if the computer system goes bad. But I wasn't about to throw down $1500-$2000 on an extended warranty. I've had great luck with Toyotas in terms of reliability. But the amount of technology in this car does worry me a bit. I'm inclined to go without the extended...but with my luck I'll need it haha.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Glad to finally be in a new car for the first time in my life.
This is how Toyota makes money by upselling. Don't worry about the computer system. Responding from my 7+ yrs old PC covered in dust and still working.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts