Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
500,000 vehicles! I think the high production volumes must be getting to their quality? This is terrible. Just check the steering before you go anywhere.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070119/ap_on_re_us/toyota_recall

WASHINGTON - Toyota Motor Corp. said Thursday it was recalling 533,000 Tundra pickup trucks and Sequoia sport utility vehicles because of potential steering problems.
Toyota said the recall involved 2004-2006 Tundra trucks and 2004-2007 Sequoia full-size SUVs. The automaker has received reports of 11 accidents and six injuries connected to the recall, said Toyota spokesman Bill Kwong.
The automaker said there was a possibility of excessive wear to a front suspension lower ball joint that could make it difficult to steer the vehicle and stay in the center of the lane. Drivers may also notice more noise coming from the front suspension, Kwong said.
Toyota recalled about 775,000 pickups and SUVs in May 2005 — one of its largest recalls ever — because of similar problems with the front suspension. The recall included 2002-2004 model years of the Tundra and Sequoia.
Kwong said the company received additional complaints involving newer models of the Tundra and Sequoia, prompting them to issue the recall.
Toyota, which is challenging General Motors Corp. to become the world's largest automaker, has aggressively touted its redesigned Tundra pickup as a strong competitor in the lucrative truck segment dominated by GM and Ford Motor Co.
The first Tundras built at Toyota's San Antonio plant are expected in showrooms next month. The automaker recently unveiled its Tundra CrewMax full-size pickup truck at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit. The large pickup will arrive in showrooms in March.
With its expansion, the automaker has struggled with some quality issues. Toyota had 2.2 million vehicle recalls in 2005, but showed improvements last year when its recalls fell to 766,000 vehicles. Toyota President Katsuaki Watanabe has repeatedly vowed to enhance quality controls.
Owners will be notified in mid-February of the Sequoia and Tundra recall and dealers will replace the left and right front suspension lower ball joint at no charge to the vehicle's owners. Consumers can contact Toyota at (888) 270-9371 or (800) 331-4331.
___
On the Net:
Toyota Motor Corp.: http://www.toyota.com/

·
Registered
98 Camry XLE V6
3,116 Posts
yes...most definitely their eyes are set on the wrong goals, and here are the ramifications.

but another way of looking at it is the probability of something going wrong increases at the same ratio as the amount they produce/sell.

Oh well this is another voluntary recall (i assume), so at least their once again stepping up to the plate, although i wish toyota could just stay benched.

·
Every road's a playground
2000 camry ce
1,338 Posts
^ i agree. yea they cant keep up with demand but they cant lose focus of what made them the company they are today and become another GM

·
Official Saipan Member
Hilux
1,019 Posts
its not a disaster

·
Registered
123 Posts
it would be worse if more people crashed and died and what not, but as of now, they are taking controll of it early. good for them. they just need to beef the ball joints up, and make sure they dont get scratched or anything during assemb. and everything will be good.....

·
GO PATRIOTS!
2007 Tundra
8,676 Posts
New year seems to be attracting trolls, WOW a RECALL!

·
Registered
139 Posts
IMO there is no question that Toyota isn't what it used to be. Given the transmission problems on the new generation Camry, the various complaints about the quality of materials used in the new Tacomas, now the Tundra/Sequoya.

To borrow a phrase from an extinct car company.....It's not your father's Toyota. :disappoin

·
Registered
2 Toys
412 Posts
Anyone remember mopar's balljoint fiasco? Not sure how many vehicles were affects, but it was through all kinds of lines of vehicles. I can't recall how many people I talked to who were affected by that (actually experienced failure) and were never reimbursed from chysler. I personally know over half a dozen people who this affected too and chyrsler was only willing to cooperate with one on the matter.

So I think Toyota is already doing a better job at handling this

·
Registered
937 Posts
Checking the front end is something that should be done at every oil change. Thats how you catch these types of problem before they leave you stranded....or worse. In all fairnes I think just about every manufacturer has had a ball joint recall at some point, especially on trucks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts