Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Toyota Fanboy
4,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.nyse.com/interface/jsp/NHDetail.jsp?RequestID=2&pageID=NewsHeadlines&sid=ON%2001/10%20570&isdowjones=true
Toyota Motor Corp. (7203.TO) Chairman Hiroshi Okuda predicted Tuesday General Motors Corp. (GM) will likely receive support from the U.S. government if GM faces further trouble.
"I have the feeling that GM is in a difficult situation," Okuda was quoted as saying by Hisako Komai, a spokeswoman for the Nippon Keidanren, Japan's most influential business lobby. Okuda heads the lobby.
"But the auto industry is a symbol of the United States, and if GM faces further difficulty, I don't think the U.S. government will leave it," he was quoted as saying, at a press conference for the organization.

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,671 Posts
Very possible that they will, I don't think the US or Canadian governments would let GM go down too easy. The question is.. would it matter anyways? I mean GM is on a big slump right now, I don't think money is the only answer.

·
Toyota Fanboy
4,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I agree. GM needs new management and they need to reduce the power the unions have.
Im all for fair wages a good benfits for the workers, but the UAW has gone too far, IMO.

·
Idon't brag I mostlyboast
MTA MetroCard
5,951 Posts
GM's pension is fully funded. They're just complaining about the fact that previous management locked current management into writing checks they don't want to cash. If Bush is smart, he'd do like Jerry Ford did to NYC in 76 and not bail them out, so they actually fix their problems.

·
What the Pho?
2000 Solara
1,433 Posts
Deuce said:
GM's pension is fully funded. They're just complaining about the fact that previous management locked current management into writing checks they don't want to cash. If Bush is smart, he'd do like Jerry Ford did to NYC in 76 and not bail them out, so they actually fix their problems.

ah man, I'm getting super confuzzled. My business professor in fall did a whole class worth explaining pensions and why pensions is one major part thats screwing up GM right now...

So many probs/rumors out now, I don't know whats really bringing GM down...

Is it the past quality?
Bad marketing
Bad management
Bad source of suppliers
Outsourcing jobs
GM cars are just not tasteful as it used to be in american citizens, etc etc etc...

I'm confused.

:dunno::thumbup:

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
So many probs/rumors out now, I don't know whats really bringing GM down...

Is it the past quality?
Bad marketing
Bad management
Bad source of suppliers
Outsourcing jobs
GM cars are just not tasteful as it used to be in american citizens, etc etc etc...

I'm confused.
All of the above

·
05 Speedwayblue X-runner
1,787 Posts
BlueFusion6851 said:
If only GM made a product the american people REALLY wanted :rolleyes:
You hit it right on the button. Supply and demand. No demand No need for the supply. GM is in trouble not because of labor. The problem is in their product. They need consumers to buy their cars. It's plain and simple you need Vehicles that appeals to the consumers wants and large gas guzzlers are not what people want. Whoever is making the decisions on what kind of cars to make for GM should be fired. Most of their styles are out dated. If GM retroed the camero when the said they were going to do this year, this may have helped them get out of the hole they are in. Poor management is killing GM not labor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.