Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to purchase a Toyota in the future, but I want an automatic transmission that's not a CVT.

Also, something that has a timing chain, not timing belt.

What year is the last Corolla that has a regular automatic transmission and a timing chain?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
What year is the last Corolla that has a regular automatic transmission and a timing chain?
2016 base model (L) was the last available with 4AT. Higher versions have the CVT since 2014 MY. No time belt in Corolla for the last 20 years or so, I think.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm looking to purchase a Toyota in the future, but I want an automatic transmission that's not a CVT.

The Camry has a geared automatic.
I believe it also has a metal timing chain

·
7,777 Posts
Camry Hybrid. Chain engine. It DOES NOT have CVT. Very smooth and torqy acceleration.

Let me elaborate. It is officially named CVT but it is not. It's epicyclical gear set. Has nothing in common with any CVT used otherwise. No droning. No shift points. VERY well working.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Statistically, the more bells and whistle in any equipment, the higher chances there could be issues. The Direct-Shift CVT and the Dynamic Force engine are some of the things that could go wrong because of the complex engineering and innovation. If you are concerned about reliability, you can always inquire about extended warranty from your insurance company and find out how much it costs.

IMO, I have higher confidence in Toyota quality than any Germany manufacturers.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
7,781 Posts
Less is more, I like that. On the other hand, more is more nowadays and it will stay like that whether you want it to or not. This is what the current trends are. Otherwise you WILL have to get a base model and you WILL have to find everything to make it as basic as you can get it. I built an Toyota Tacoma SR or SR5 and it seems that I could still decline a keyfob, Entune, and all that other fun stuff. But if I wanted a TRD, I will have to get it with all the technology with it. That is the sacrifice you must be willing to take. If I could get a brand new Avalon with none of the technology, I'd be willing to but that will never happen. So if I get a new Avalon, it will come with what it has but if I want "less is more" I will still have my 08 Camry because it is a base model with "only the basics". Either get with the new or get left behind. Getting left behind is not bad but eventually those parts will disappear.

Forgot to mention, everyone seems to hate the Automatics and everyone seems to hate the CVTs and you really won't hear much from the Manual's. So not getting a CVT may be a bad idea. People seem to not like the 8 speeds, people seem to not like the 6 speeds, people seem to not like the 5 speeds, people seem to like the 4 & 3 speeds but hey look! It's the 1990s again.

·
Registered
2001 Camry LE
582 Posts
All 2013 and older Corollas with the 1.8L had a 4 speed automatic. 2014-2016 Corolla L had a carryover drivetrain (1.8L/4SA). All other 2014+ Corolla trims had the CVT. Corolla has had a timing chain since 1998.

If you want to go Camry, 2010-2017 Camrys with the 2.5L had a 6 speed automatic that seems to be decently liked. 2018+ Camrys have an 8 speed automatic that has complaints about refinement but does seem reliable.

If you're looking for bulletproof and cheap to own, I would suggest a 2013 or older Corolla, or 2014-2016 Corolla L.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,467 Posts
All 2013 and older Corollas with the 1.8L had a 4 speed automatic. 2014-2016 Corolla L had a carryover drivetrain (1.8L/4SA). All other 2014+ Corolla trims had the CVT. Corolla has had a timing chain since 1998.

If you want to go Camry, 2010-2017 Camrys with the 2.5L had a 6 speed automatic that seems to be decently liked. 2018+ Camrys have an 8 speed automatic that has complaints about refinement but does seem reliable.

If you're looking for bulletproof and cheap to own, I would suggest a 2013 or older Corolla, or 2014-2016 Corolla L.
I would take it one more step and get a Corolla with a manual transmission. That was you get the most reliable option and the most fun. :D

·
Registered
437 Posts
The premise of this thread is that old tech is more reliable than new. Speaking of that: I wonder what (smart)phone you have in your pocket or a laptop at home? I bet (you name the $$$) it is not a Motorola MicroTAC or something with an 80386 processor :geek:

·
Registered
2001 Camry LE
582 Posts
Computers and phones are a bit different. It's essentially required to have a modern computer to complete tasks at a quick speed and run modern software if you have a job that requires it. That would be like driving a car from the 1930s - frankly, not fast enough for today's highways.

Buying new tech has its uncertainties. When I bought my Samsung Galaxy S6 Active about 2 years ago, I think they had just come out with the S8. I found that the S4 and S6 were largely trouble free, with a good number of complaints about the S5. So I avoided the S5. Buying an S8 would mean I had no idea whether it was a trouble free phone or not.

Simplicity is the key to reliability. I have a Chromebook as my personal computer - can't get a virus if your computer doesn't let you run any software.

·
Registered
21 Posts

The 86 is stupidly offered with an automatic.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,467 Posts
The premise of this thread is that old tech is more reliable than new. Speaking of that: I wonder what (smart)phone you have in your pocket or a laptop at home? I bet (you name the $$$) it is not a Motorola MicroTAC or something with an 80386 processor :geek:
I disagree. Just because a newer technology comes out doesn't mean it's better, more reliable and will stand the test of time. Electronics are very different from mechanic transmissions in a car. I think that CVT's are okay and do what they were built to do but are also the numbest form of transmission. I want to be engaged with my car and the driving experience so a MT is my favorite choice.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,467 Posts
Computers and phones are a bit different. It's essentially required to have a modern computer to complete tasks at a quick speed and run modern software if you have a job that requires it. That would be like driving a car from the 1930s - frankly, not fast enough for today's highways.

Buying new tech has its uncertainties. When I bought my Samsung Galaxy S6 Active about 2 years ago, I think they had just come out with the S8. I found that the S4 and S6 were largely trouble free, with a good number of complaints about the S5. So I avoided the S5. Buying an S8 would mean I had no idea whether it was a trouble free phone or not.

Simplicity is the key to reliability. I have a Chromebook as my personal computer - can't get a virus if your computer doesn't let you run any software.
If simplicity is better it's just another reason for the MT to stick around. And as far as reliability Apple has ruled that area for computers for well over a decade. I was just reading about that very point in CR.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts