Toyota Nation Forum banner

61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
I was going to ask you why not just get a MT Corolla. You can always teach you wife to drive a MT. I taught all 3 of my daughters and they love it. My wife already knew how to drive a MT when I met her. :)
Thank you for your suggestion . I think my wife is the kind of person that is always happy with what she has , she MAYBE interested in learning how to drive a manual car but she is definitely not interested in taking a second driving test :D I am not sure about the criteria to obtain the licence in the US and Canada but over here if I have a manual driver licence I can drive both manual and AT cars, but I only have the licence for AT car , meant I only took the driving test on an AT car I am not allowed to drive a manual car. If I want to upgrade my licence to MT I have to take a second driving test in a manual car. To be honest I think it's safer for my wife to drive with both her hands on the steering wheel at all time :D

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,467 Posts
Thank you for your suggestion . I think my wife is the kind of person that is always happy with what she has , she MAYBE interested in learning how to drive a manual car but she is definitely not interested in taking a second driving test :D I am not sure about the criteria to obtain the licence in the US and Canada but over here if I have a manual driver licence I can drive both manual and AT cars, but I only have the licence for AT car , meant I only took the driving test on an AT car I am not allowed to drive a manual car. If I want to upgrade my licence to MT I have to take a second driving test in a manual car. To be honest I think it's safer for my wife to drive with both her hands on the steering wheel at all time :D
Interesting, in the US a license doesn't signify either AT or MT. If you pass the test it's more for the rules of the road and handling of the car but nothing to do with shifting. That being said it wouldn't be that big of a deal to take the test if someone wanted to drive a MT. If they don't have the desire it won't happen. lol :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Token Aussie
1998 AE102, 2018 ZRE182
2,094 Posts
TTran what state are you in? From memory most states the automatic-only restriction is only when you're on your Ps, it goes away when you go on to your full license (since there is no practical driving test to go from Ps to full) unless it was for medical reasons

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
140 Posts
TTran what state are you in? From memory most states the automatic-only restriction is only when you're on your Ps, it goes away when you go on to your full license (since there is no practical driving test to go from Ps to full) unless it was for medical reasons

Hi, I am in WA , and yes we have to take a practical test in a manual car if we want to have a full licence to drive manual & automatic. Many female drivers choose to take the practical test for automatic car only :) I also heard the same thing that I don't need to take the practical test for a manual licence in eastern states, now you confirmed it (y) Thank you.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,467 Posts
Hi, I am in WA , and yes we have to take a practical test in a manual car if we want to have a full licence to drive manual & automatic. Many female drivers choose to take the practical test for automatic car only :) I also heard the same thing that I don't need to take the practical test for a manual licence in eastern states, now you confirmed it (y) Thank you.
That isn't true. I live in WA State and all 3 of my daughters had a choice of what car they wanted to get their license in. Even though all 3 of them learned to drive a MT only one took her test in a MT car, the other 2 took it in our Previa minivan that had a AT. I specifically talked to the DOL about this when I took them and it doesn't matter. If your wife learns to drive a MT she doesn't have to even notify the DOL.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,467 Posts
WA = Western Australia in this case, not Washington...

Good to maybe point that out. That's why I say WA State because most of us wouldn't guess that WA was Western Australia. I've always wanted to drive from Sydney to Perth though along the southern coast.

·
Token Aussie
1998 AE102, 2018 ZRE182
2,094 Posts
Good to maybe point that out. That's why I say WA State because most of us wouldn't guess that WA was Western Australia. I've always wanted to drive from Sydney to Perth though along the southern coast.
TTran had already pointed out that he wasn't in the US or Canada (and I knew he was a fellow Aussie) so didn't exactly feel like I needed to specify...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Sorry for the confusion and misunderstanding :) I should have stated that I am from Western Australia or from Perth as this is the US and Canada forum :) but it was because between the two Aussies I just stated "WA" :)

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,467 Posts
TTran had already pointed out that he wasn't in the US or Canada (and I knew he was a fellow Aussie) so didn't exactly feel like I needed to specify...

Well, unless I go through a thread from the beginning it would be hard to know. Just knowing that most of us are from North America I think of this area unless I already know where someone is from. No disrespect to you boys down under but it's just a numbers thing. I say I'm from WA State because if I just say WA people think I'm from Washington DC when I always think of that area as just DC. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

·
Token Aussie
1998 AE102, 2018 ZRE182
2,094 Posts
Well, unless I go through a thread from the beginning it would be hard to know.
Getting off-topic but he literally said it in the post that you quoted...

At least WA is the only Aussie state that shares an acronym with a US one, there's no SA or NT and the rest of ours are 3 letters.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,467 Posts
Getting off-topic but he literally said it in the post that you quoted...

At least WA is the only Aussie state that shares an acronym with a US one, there's no SA or NT and the rest of ours are 3 letters.
Yes, he said he was from WA. That's why I thought of WA as in WA State. Here is his first sentence and you can see how I could get confused.

"Hi, I am in WA , and yes we have to take a practical test in a manual car if we want to have a full licence to drive manual & automatic."

And yes, good thing that is the only place in Australia that uses the same 2 letters as we do in the states. I miss the old way that TN was set up since we could list our city and state that we were from so it was easy to see where someone was from. Now the only clue is a very small flag that none of us look at. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yes, he said he was from WA. That's why I thought of WA as in WA State. Here is his first sentence and you can see how I could get confused.

"Hi, I am in WA , and yes we have to take a practical test in a manual car if we want to have a full licence to drive manual & automatic."

And yes, good thing that is the only place in Australia that uses the same 2 letters as we do in the states. I miss the old way that TN was set up since we could list our city and state that we were from so it was easy to see where someone was from. Now the only clue is a very small flag that none of us look at. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
At least we have something similar : "WA" :D .

·
Token Aussie
1998 AE102, 2018 ZRE182
2,094 Posts

Was referring to the previous post (which you also quoted/replied-to)

indicating that he wasn't in either the US or Canada. That and the Australian flag under his avatar (on the website, not Tapatalk)...

Which state are you from Hiro Protagonist?
Nevada South Wisconsin

61 - 80 of 83 Posts