Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just looking over Toyota's web site. I haven't been on there since September when I "built" my truck, and the returned every day to drool over it.:lol:

A couple things I found interesting in the Tacoma section. First, they seem to have done some tailoring of the option packages available for the 2006 model year. There are more choices than 2005, and it seems some of the things that were port options are now part of factory packages. I think that's a big step in the right direction, but from the stories I'm hearing (about finding a particular vehicle) on this site, it sounds like that might not have "trickled down" into the dealership chain. Have any of you who have recently purchased or are looking noticed any effect from this?

The other thing I wished they'd do; Chevrolet's web site will let you search dealer's inventory and even print out the window sticker from a given vehicle, which is a pretty slick feature. I'd really like to see that type of mechanism. As it currently stands, they make you actually talk to a (YUCK!) dealer to see if they've got the truck you want.

Just my $.02! :D

·
Registered
344 Posts
Str8Bourbon --

I really enjoy Maker's Mark, by the way.

You can pull up an individual dealer's Web site (at least in Oklahoma) and check not only their inventory, but also a list of "available" vehicles that are on various lots throughout the immediate region. When you click on one of these vehicles, you can see the truck and how it's equipped, as well as it's price.

One thing, though...sometimes these vehicles are showing as "In-stock" when in reality they are being delivered, or in some cases even already sold.

So you probably want to call or e-mail the dealer to verify that the vehicle you're seeing is actually on the lot, and not special ordered for someone else. But at least this resource is one way to avoid having to actually go to the lot and check inventory this way.

Hope this helps.

Count

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Count said:
Str8Bourbon --

I really enjoy Maker's Mark, by the way.

You can pull up an individual dealer's Web site (at least in Oklahoma) and check not only their inventory, but also a list of "available" vehicles that are on various lots throughout the immediate region. When you click on one of these vehicles, you can see the truck and how it's equipped, as well as it's price.

One thing, though...sometimes these vehicles are showing as "In-stock" when in reality they are being delivered, or in some cases even already sold.

So you probably want to call or e-mail the dealer to verify that the vehicle you're seeing is actually on the lot, and not special ordered for someone else. But at least this resource is one way to avoid having to actually go to the lot and check inventory this way.

Hope this helps.

Count
Thanks guys, I was aware of being able to see the dealer's inventory on their own website. I guess my point, which I failed to stress, was being able to see the actual window sticker. Toyata dealer's (I've only looked at CA dealers) seem to use a boilerplate web template, and it hides any given vehicle's particulars. Still gotta call to find out.

I don't want to hijack my own thread here Count, but if you are fond of Maker's, try any of the Van Winkle bourbons you can find. They're pricey, but some of the finest on the market. If it says Van Winkle on the label, it's good; period. Replace the "8" in my username with "aight" and add a dot com to the end, and you'll get to my website.

Jim

·
Registered
34 Posts
I built the truck i wanted on the website, then punched in my zip code and found the truck at a dealer about 45 mins away. It wasn't even out of the plastic yet. So they update their website pretty fast. At least they do around here.

·
Tennessee Tacoma Pilot
Honda VFR800 & Taco
217 Posts
str8bourbon said:
I was just looking over Toyota's web site. I haven't been on there since September when I "built" my truck, and the returned every day to drool over it.:lol:

A couple things I found interesting in the Tacoma section. First, they seem to have done some tailoring of the option packages available for the 2006 model year. There are more choices than 2005, and it seems some of the things that were port options are now part of factory packages.
I checked the site and unless I am missing something, there doesn't seem to be that much changed except that I got the TRD sport option #2 package on my 05, I think it is called the PT option and it included the following:
TRD Sport Package #1 (PY) -- Sport suspension with Bilstein® shocks, 17-in. alloy wheels with P265/65R17 tires, limited-slip rear differential, 115V/400-watt deck-mounted power outlet, fog lamps, power windows/door locks/outside mirrors, remote keyless entry system, cruise control, variable intermittent windshield wipers, multi-function overhead console with compass and outside temperature gauge, color-keyed grille surround/bumpers/mirrors/door handles/overfenders, sliding rear window with privacy glass, sport seats with driver’s lumbar support and sport fabric trim, metallic-tone instrument panel trim, leather-wrapped steering wheel and shifter, sun visors with sliding extensions and vanity mirror, hood scoop, and TRD Sport graphics (V6 models)

AND

V6 Towing Package[2] -- Class-4 towing hitch, transmission oil cooler (automatic transmission models), supplemental engine oil cooler, heavy-duty battery, 130-amp alternator and 7-pin connector with converter

These options were taken directly from the Toyota site. I didn't see a TRD option #2 package like the one I got in the 06 line-up.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Perhaps it has something to do with the type of truck you configure. When I got on their site to "build" my truck back in September, I chose 4x4 dbl cab 6-speed. I was offered three option packages. Do the same thing now, and you get six or seven. For instance, the JBL stereo was an add-on. I don't know what to call it, it was on the page where you can choose a camper shell, floor mats, trailer hitch --- all that stuff. Now it's part of an option package, and so is some other fancy stereo.

Just goes to show that cars are kinda like computers; by the time you make a decision, it's already too late. :)

Jim

·
Registered
344 Posts
Thanks, Str8 (Jim),

I love the Maker's...been drinking it with Egg Nogg to get into the holiday spirit!

I'll definitely try some Van Winkle. Thanks for the suggestion!

Count

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just purchased mine last night. The only trouble I had was actually finding one that was configured the way I wanted it - for a price I wanted to pay. I ended up settling for the single disk CD player instead of the 6 disker. Not a problem though, because I put a CD/MP3/Sat Radio setup on order before I even got the truck. I figure once the newness wears off, I'll drop that in and have a better setup.

Aside from that, I didn't have any trouble, and actually saved myself some money.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hi Str8,

I took your advice and just returned from the liquor store with a bottle (the last in Oklahoma, I'm told) of 20-year-old Pappy Van Winkle Reserve bourbon. They tell me that only five cases are imported into Oklahoma each year. I could have bought a K&N filter kit and had change left over for what I paid for it, but it wouldn't give me as much horsepower as the Van Winkle! :)

Thanks for the recommendation!

Count

1 - 10 of 10 Posts