2008 tundra
5,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a quick write-up. Very Quick

You will need
---------------
1) Floor jack
2) Jack Stands
3) Impact wrench or 1/2" drive breaker bar.
4) Deep socket Metric and American sockets
5) Torque wrench

------------------------------------------------

The kit (pretty simple ehhhh?)

1) Jack the truck up from under the rear dif.

2) Support the rear end by placing the jack stands about 1/4 of the way back. (This pic jumps ahead) leave the jack under the rear after you let it down on the stands!

3) Remove both rear wheels

4) Start by removing the U bolts from one side of the truck. (Mine came right off, I just had the TSB done last month)

5) Lower the jack until there is enough room to slip the 1" block in.

6) Slip the block in and line up the pin (Centering facing pin Down).

7) Raise the jack up enough to line the pin up with the leaf spring. You may need to tug on the rear drum a bit to line it up.

8) Put the new Ubolts on and torque them up as per the directions (80 foot pounds) I used the impact gun on this. You really should use a torque wrench here. I have a built in wrench in my wrists :naughty: LOL so I don’t need the wrench j/k

9) Repeat 5-8 for the other side then install your wheels again and you’re done.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Thanks a lot! Awesome write-up. I will be using it soon as reference.

Just one comment: I noticed that you said the U-bolts need to be torqued to 80 ft*lbf. That seemed very high, so I looked it up in the service manual. It says 37 ft*lbf there. Just a little addition which may also help others who will use your write up :thumbup:.

·
aka David Neubeiser
Paddle Board
285 Posts
Outstanding write-up! :clap: Do you have any vibes following the install?

·
Registered
729 Posts
I installed mine yesterday;it went exactly like the write-up.I have a very very slight shudder at 25-30 mph,very faint then goes away.I am double checking everything tommorow just to be sure all is tight and correct.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I installed mine yesterday;it went exactly like the write-up.I have a very very slight shudder at 25-30 mph,very faint then goes away.I am double checking everything tommorow just to be sure all is tight and correct.
Buz, did you go for the 1" or 1.5" block and do you have the TSB rear springs in? Got pics? Did you extend the brake lines?

Thanks!

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

No vibs for me guys sorry :D Im glad it was helpfull.

Thanks a lot! Awesome write-up. I will be using it soon as reference.

Just one comment: I noticed that you said the U-bolts need to be torqued to 80 ft*lbf. That seemed very high, so I looked it up in the service manual. It says 37 ft*lbf there. Just a little addition which may also help others who will use your write up :thumbup:.

To tell you the truth. Im not sure where I got 80ft#'s from. I think it was in the install instructions. Check your out to make sure. I also have not re checked any of the bolts after driving it :hammer: I will check them this weekend or when it stop raining outside. :thumbup:

·
Registered
729 Posts
Buz, did you go for the 1" or 1.5" block and do you have the TSB rear springs in? Got pics? Did you extend the brake lines?

Thanks!
I went with 1'' blocks;Bought my truck from a Toyota exec. that used it as his Demo drive.Had 4,400 miles @ purchase and he had paperwork of all the TSB services ha had done including springs;he really nit picked this truck because he was going to drive it for awhile.He was at a local dealer one week and the sales manager put it in the inventory on the website.I saw it immediatley and sent them an offer telling them I could be there in an hour with a check and they accepted.I have installed a Pro comp 3'' spacer in front with AAL in rear.Had small amount of sag in rear then with addition of A.R.E. cap the front was slightly higher and wanted it level.Also installed Bilstein 5125's in rear.Just installed billet 5 piece grill and Rampage Dakar SS light bar w/2 Helo 500 driving and 2 Helo fogs.Will post pics as soon as it's cleaned.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
buzz, so you installed AAL's on top of the leaf springs and then the spacer? Did I understand that correctly? I bet you had to extend the brake lines in that case, right?
Yes, pics would be awesome! Sounds like you did a lot of work!

·
Three-Dog-Taco
2008 Tacoma 4WD DCab
206 Posts
Lotust, nice DIY! I also have a cap and did the rear TSB two months ago. I had the cap on before I got the TSB, and got a little over 1" of lift. The weight of the cap (plus all the junk I have in the bed) probably helped things settle, and there hasn't been any change in height since then. I'm figuring that everything that's going to settle has settled. My rear is about 1-1/4" higher than the front, and I'm thinking about a 1" lift in the back plus coilovers or 5100's in the front is what I need. I'll probably be conservative in my lift (less than 2" like you did), and I'd like to keep about a 1" rake (like the look). Seeing as you've done this already, what do you think? Can't tell you how much I'd like to avoid any vibrations, but that doesn't make me unique here...

Sechs: you gonna do the block? Pics of your truck at 1.75" looks level to me. Are you thinking 1" block at the rear to get a rake, or did the rear settle on you?

Thx guys

·
Registered
729 Posts
buzz, so you installed AAL's on top of the leaf springs and then the spacer? Did I understand that correctly? I bet you had to extend the brake lines in that case, right?
Yes, pics would be awesome! Sounds like you did a lot of work!
I have not seen a picture of the difference of the original compared to the TSB springs so I could not tell you for sure it has been done,all I can go by is the paperwork,but I do know that the front was slightly higher than the back a few days after the spacer and AAL was installed,especially after my cap was put on.I did not have to replace the brake lines,but I will be checking out the TSB deal,you got me suspisious,didn't even really pay attention to it till I read about it on TN.I have enjoyed the mods and am awaiting my bed mat,DTRL mod,and touch up paint should be here Wed.,I have a small nick that is driving me crazy.I hope my friend can do my wheels like I want;not the whole wheel,just everything but the face of the spokes and center of the cap,Indigo. Thanks again.Pictures coming soon.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
buzz, look at picture 4 or 5 above. Lotust does have the TSB 4 leaf springs. In pic 4 / 5 above, look between the bump stop and the block: you'll see 4 leafs. If yours is the same, then you have the TSB done. If you have only 3 leafs there, then it's not been done.

·
aka David Neubeiser
Paddle Board
285 Posts
lotust,

What kind of lift are you running in the front of your rig? I have 5100 Bilsteins on all four corners with the front set at .87 and was considering a 1" block in the rear and moving the front to 1.75".

I haul stuff from time to time and was unhappy with my initial setup. I was running 1.75" in the front and only the rear TSB and I experienced bulldog while carring a load.

Thanks,

Neubs

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
lotust,

What kind of lift are you running in the front of your rig? I have 5100 Bilsteins on all four corners with the front set at .87 and was considering a 1" block in the rear and moving the front to 1.75".

I haul stuff from time to time and was unhappy with my initial setup. I was running 1.75" in the front and only the rear TSB and I experienced bulldog while carring a load.

Thanks,

Neubs
I could have said that. That's exactly my situation. 5100's at 1.75, rear TSB, almost perfect level (1/4 - 1/2" high in rear, but looks 100% level). Any load and it looks funny. That's why I want a 1" block.

·
Rule #1: Don't be a Pussy
2008 Tacoma
152 Posts
Hate to hijack, but I just wanted to throw these out there...SUPER CHEAP !!!!

Originally Posted by J.D.
FOR SALE:

1.5" rear blocks from Toytec. I ordered these with a diff drop and then decided to go with a the HD Dakar leaf pack. I haven't even taken these out of the box. Here's the skinny:
  • 1 1/2" lift block kit works with add-a-leafs and/or shackles for an additional 1 1/2" of rear lift.
  • Solid T6 Aluminum block with pressed in steel pin
  • includes new u bolts, and two blocks
  • Fits all 05 - 07 Tacoma
I paid $92 shipped. I would return them but I then have to pay S&H and a 15% restocking fee.

Will sell for $80 OBO shipped to lower 48. PM if interested.

I really just want to get these off my shelf......

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Since I will be installing my 1" block this weekend, I got a question for Lotust or anybody else who knows:
In the pictures above, it looks like Lotust put the jack stands under the leaft springs instead of the frame. Is there a reason for that? Just wondering, and trying to make sure I don't miss something important.

Thanks!

·
2012/14 Stanley Cup Champ
1,883 Posts
Since I will be installing my 1" block this weekend, I got a question for Lotust or anybody else who knows:
In the pictures above, it looks like Lotust put the jack stands under the leaft springs instead of the frame. Is there a reason for that? Just wondering, and trying to make sure I don't miss something important.

Thanks!
You can put the jack stands under the frame or the leafs, it is probably safer to do it under the frame. The only drawback, you have to have a jack that can lift the frame that much higher. The key is separating the leafs from the spring perch so you can install the blocks.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Thanks zmtnbik! That's what I thought, just wanted to confirm instead of finding out the hard way.

Here is another thought: Could I just install the blocks one side at a time? I mean instead of lifting under the diff, could I put the jack under the axle on one side, thus only lifting one side at a time, and then following the instructions for that side. Then do the other.
It may take a little more time, but it seems a little safer with one of the rear wheels on the ground at all times. Am I missing something?

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks zmtnbik! That's what I thought, just wanted to confirm instead of finding out the hard way.

Here is another thought: Could I just install the blocks one side at a time? I mean instead of lifting under the diff, could I put the jack under the axle on one side, thus only lifting one side at a time, and then following the instructions for that side. Then do the other.
It may take a little more time, but it seems a little safer with one of the rear wheels on the ground at all times. Am I missing something?
Yes you can do one side at a time. Thats how I did mine. I thought I said that in the write up. Though my memory sucks. :lol:

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Lotust, I was talking about jacking up one side at a time ....

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Lotust, I was talking about jacking up one side at a time ....
Jack the truck up from the rear dif. Lower on to stands , Leave jack under dif and do One side at a time.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts