Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Tacoma base Access Cab 2.7L 4x2 AT
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2008 Taco with 200+K on it finally had the TPMS failure.

Damned if I was gonna pay $150 each for the sensors times 5 Plus who knows how much for installation and programming.

Initially I fixed it with some black tape over the light

It stuck in my craw... Looking on Youtube for solutions most honest mechanics said the Toyota Sensors where the best / trouble free.

Cheapskates like me looked further. People are removing the sensor digging out the battery and soldering on another one...

I bought some appropriate batteries and went to work $24 on ebay for 5 batteries
CR2450HR batteries

The people in the videos used some sort of jack with the tire under the vehicle to break the bead. Which I did the first time, great if you know which sensor is dead. I did not and the sensors are original to the vehicle as far as I know so I'm replacing them all.

I bought the XM-450 bead buster directly from the MFG website since it's $10 less than anywhere else Plus free shipping

The Beadbuster was the ticket though care must be taken not to damage the tire, I had to reposition the tool after partially unseating the tire.

I have 4 identical rims T15x6J These rims use the PACIFIC PMV-108J

I have one mismatched rim J15 x 6JJ This rim uses the PACIFIC PMV-107J

My Google Photos Album (The photo thing on this website reeks)

I carefully removed the back cover exposing the potted sensor electronics

I used a small screwdriver to remove some of the potting compound from around the battery and circuit board

I inserted the screwdriver under the battery and gently pried up and then under the circuit board (CB), again priying up

Cleaned potting compound (PC) around where the battery attaches to the CB.

Here I have an advantage having a HAKKO FR-300 desoldering iron, but however you do it you have to desolder the battery

At this point I carefully removed as much of the PC as I could from the CB and the case. I found it works better this way.

The batteries I got the leads where too wide to fit the hole on the CB so I trimmed some off the width with scissors.

After soldering the battery on making absolutely certain I had POS and NEG in the right holes I test fitted the CB / Battery in the case.

I filled the case with bathroom silicone sealer and gently pressed the CB / Battery in making sure the CB goes on the post in the case and battery is in all the way then smoothed it over adding sealer if needed, Then snapped on the back cover and VIOLA! done

I checked the voltage of each battery and all except one where 1 volt or a bit higher.

I checked to see if the dash light went off after replacing each battery and found the one battery below 1 v was the trouble maker

Silicone Sealer vs Potting Compound . Self leveling electronic grade potting compound is available but the setting time is 24 hours and it is a bit expensive. I decided to take a "Spin of the wheel" and go with what I had on hand. I'd recommend high grade nitrile gloves when handling the sealer it gave me a terrific headache on the first day of this project when I didn't wear gloves

Don't know if this is of any help but I couldn't video it with my cell phone

Rectangle Font Gas Wood Signage
Snow Liquid Melting Freezing Art
Plant Automotive tire Bicycle part Material property Musical instrument accessory
Wood Fashion accessory Font Glove Rock
Wood Ingredient Cutting board Dish Hardwood
Wood Automotive lighting Fluid Watch Plastic bottle
Helmet Gas Wood Auto part Bumper
Gas Wood Font Hardwood Audio equipment
Liquid Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Water

·
Registered
2001 Avln, 2009 Taco
392 Posts
Great write up! I wondered if this was possible.

But you do know that you can buy VDO SE10002A Tire Pressure Sensor for $25-$30 each. I did so, and paid the local tire shop $8 each for programming and installation on my '09. I did this in December of 2020, and haven't looked back.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
After replacing the TPMS in my 2010 Corolla back in 2017 (cost $400 p/l), I saved the old monitors intending to do what you just did the next time needed. Good on you for doing this and succeeding. One thing though; Did your monitors resume operation without any resetting? The hardest part as I see it is opening up the tires. Thanks for the report.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Many aftermarket options that match OE, just have to do the research. Got 4 from tpms.com for $100 shipped and swapped them out myself using your listed bead breaking method with the provided tire jack underneath my hitch, worked great.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great write up! I wondered if this was possible.

But you do know that you can buy VDO SE10002A Tire Pressure Sensor for $25-$30 each. I did so, and paid the local tire shop $8 each for programming and installation on my '09. I did this in December of 2020, and haven't looked back.
Well this being Los Angeles area I went to 2 independent repair shops, both wanted $500. A couple guys on Youtube toyota dealer technicians running independent repair shops has seen many aftermarket TPMS not work properly with the vehicle electronics.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After replacing the TPMS in my 2010 Corolla back in 2017 (cost $400 p/l), I saved the old monitors intending to do what you just did the next time needed. Good on you for doing this and succeeding. One thing though; Did your monitors resume operation without any resetting? The hardest part as I see it is opening up the tires. Thanks for the report.
No resetting required. The XM-450 is easy once you get over the fear of damaging the tire OH and BTW I dropped one of the sensors in the tire. This was the J15 x 6JJ I couldn't retrieve it. I went over a local independent Tire shop RUDY'S TIRES and the owner kindly retrieved it for free! THANK YOU! If you were doing those rims I'd tie some string on it

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Many aftermarket options that match OE, just have to do the research. Got 4 from tpms.com for $100 shipped and swapped them out myself using your listed bead breaking method with the provided tire jack underneath my hitch, worked great.
Since I had 2 different rims I was almost certain I would need 2 different types of sensors, Sure enough PVM-108J and PVM-107J Also it is my (mis)Understanding the 08 taco has to be programmed to the controller for the TPMS

No where could I find definitive information I seeked in the dizzying array of information and misinformation on the internet through the manufacturers website or the various parts websites as to what sensors I needed. I opted for the cheap solution, since I wasn't going to spend anything like $100 in parts to fix this $24 problem. My original solution was my fall back, But after poking around I have found you can disable the TPMS altogether

Also I enjoy a good challenge

1 - 14 of 14 Posts