Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not the first time doing this. I have the air pressure right at the 30 PSI spec having check it again today. If anything two tires were at best 0.4 PSI low. It would flash now and then on the dash while driving with the winter tires. But now steady on and after several long drives still on. It went off pretty quick last year. I poked the spare tire and its hard and don't believe it will be low triggering it. I may have to lower it. I don't know why OEM must always put the tires upside down as a spare. The valve isn't accessible!! If and when I remove a spare I flip the tire over and they all fit the right way down.

I read about the reset button but it should not be needed for this to re-sense the wheels.

Anyone have this happen to them after removing winter rims.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Strange it would go all winter without tpms and never set a hard light until re-installing? No safety in that system.....no experience with it though, sorry.

·
6,429 Posts
See my video here.
If it blinks when you first start the vehicle. Then the system has an error, not just a low tire.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nah, battery is fine and voltage is good. I have a digital voltmeter in my lighter socket always. It was on and flashes now and then when the winter tires w/o sensors were on. The same the winter before!! Its on solid not and never flashes.

I guess I'll have to drop the spare and pump it up above 30 PSI to be sure. I doubt its that low though but the only item left I did not check.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dropped the tire but what a job. A fellow has to figure out how it all is done even though I'd done a few vehicles cranking down. I typically use a socket of my own and power it down with my 1/4" driver or normal ratchet. Toyota deemed fit not to use a lug sized end or one common enough that will fit. Seems like it might be 23mm, don't know I have to use the socket eye driven one and arms (once you figure out how to put them together).

Anyway, the tire was 24 psi, pumped it way up and before the first roll of the tire after starting the light went out. DONE

Tire fit is very very snug. I have a hitch and clearance is essentially zero. I have to go at it again as its not pulled in flat up there. I did not flip the wheel this time as I was pissed at the cranking tools I was forced to use.

I you've never dropped you spare wheel. You might want to on an nice sunny day (beer on hand). You'll be cursing on the side of the road trying to do it under adverse conditions I am very certain of that. If you have a hitch getting the tire back in is NOT straight forward as its jammed between the rear diff and hitch currently on mine. I got to sort that out soon.

·
Registered
258 Posts
This is a good reminder for all to check out the spare tire pressure and also to get familiar with how to operate the spare tire carrier. After doing it a few times over the years, I have thrown in a few spare gloves along with a small moving blanket in case I need to get on the ground to see what is going on.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I had gloves in the tools area, along with a dozen hand packets of wipes I get after foraging though a dozen or more Suicide wings at my various spots I feed at. Those packets can come in handy. I rarely use them in the restaurant as I don't like the sent and just to to the washroom and wash off the sauce. The packets are good to keep until you have too many.

Edit:
I always over pressure the spare in the event your spare looses some air over time I have buffer above what it needs to be when on the vehicle. Not very good to put the spare on and find its 10 psi too low. You can always let some air out. I shoot for the max rating at least 35psi but in this case it ended up at 36psi and no big deal.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I would suspect that the cable holding the spare is too short to be able to flip the spare and put it up with the business side down....another common sense automotive decision.

·
Registered
258 Posts
If business side down means to have the shiny 'face' of the wheel facing down towards to ground, then yes it possible to do this. The cable holding the spare is long enough.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, that is the point NME7, with it down owners can check the air pressure and top it up as required, if needed. These wheels are aluminum. However, if you have Steel Rims as spares you want to remove them and clean them up as well. I have had on used vehicle I bought rusted rims which were no longer holding air!!! I am in the rust belt of southern Ontario. I started doing this with an 1996 AstroVan AWD I bought. The rim had to be cleaned up with the tire off, resealed to the tire to hold air. Its only a matter of time before the edge rusts enough its useless as a spare. A good summer time job. Once done I put the rims back in upside down (which to me is the right side) and I can get at the air valve anytime I want. You off course want to rotate it so the valve either near the right rear or left rear so you can reach it. That will depend on whether you right handed or not.

All the vehicle have a long enough cable (thus far). LOL

Both this HL and my wifes Sorento have aluminum full sized spares which is a good thing. I hate those donut temp tires which can't be safe to drive in other than ideal dry road. Winter time would be a recipe for an accident.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Good info....I will wait on Tripplec to try his, he has so much fun doing it (with beer) and the hitch make it even more fun.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LOL

Yeah, well if and when I do it will be a nice hot day and maybe my son here to help with aligning the wheel and/or cranking it up while I align it to squeeze in the space.

You'll have to wait. That I can assure you.
Cheers, I am having a beer now!!!

It would be considerably faster if a fellow had a socket and could use other tools but of the 3 large socket sets I have they jump that size. Not even a sloppy fit with either as i may even be a in between odd size. I don't know. I can measure one day but not certain what was done. I just don't like it. Good thing I know when its not critical.

·
Registered
2011HL
1,431 Posts
It would be considerably faster if a fellow had a socket and could use other tools but of the 3 large socket sets I have they jump that size. Not even a sloppy fit with either as i may even be a in between odd size. I don't know. I can measure one day but not certain what was done. I just don't like it. Good thing I know when its not critical.
I believe it is a metric 21 mm

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
21mm is the wheel lug nuts size on these SUV's. 22mm still too small & 24mm too big from my black iron impact sockets. Also chrome alloy sets same results. British socket also did not fit. Most vehicle the tire iron is the same size to do the cranking, but not on the HL.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Guess I will have to go get some beer and try it.......and find a 23mm socket. Added to fair weather project list.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'll measure it with my digital caliper and see what it says on a nicer day. I just know nothing fits and there is no reason it couldn't be the lug nut size used for it.
0C hear this morning and not much bettter now. High winds for a few days. Monday extreme warning of 90km/hr gusts. Spring has blown away.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Agreed on socket size, no reason to be anything different. I was just joking about getting it done. It was funny to hear about your first go at it!! Keep up the comedy it eases the tension of being home all the time.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, LOL, Well I am not one to get my bits tied in a knot over tires or fixing stuff. But when some Dumb asssss engineer pull that off and thinking about it. Most vehicle I've had have a chart showing the tire changing tools and how its used etc. Now the rods, arms etc are all Black, so is the compartment and the truck light is as dim as a blown out candle. Knowone is going to figure it out when its pissing rain or -20C in the winter. They'd find us perished by the flat wheel with a blood drawn remark. Wheres the dam instruction wrench and jack!! (its hidden by the way)

Go to a different brand and model and likely see the difference. If you have family who have never had to deal with it. A step by step run through the tools and how it works could be a god send to them. Otherwise, get CAA to be sure!!

What can I say? Hmm I just said it. Didn't I the toyota setup sucks....ha .... ha

·
Registered
2011HL
1,431 Posts
Your lug nuts may have been deformed by using the wrong size socket with an impact wrench. A loose fit will hammer the leading edge of the nut so that subsequently the "right" size wont fit. When the nut is off a file may be required to remove the bump.. or, start using a pipe wrench. :D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts