Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Its never been used before. Brand new and smooth.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
All right now, had a look and tried calipers and then and only then it struck me. I checked and rechecked. The Nut of the cable release is a 5 POINT NUT !!!! Come on now WTF they do that for. I double checked my driving sockets all are 6 Point and why I never even got a sloppy fit that would turn it.
You're pretty much stuck with the oem open looped Eye socket provided and cannot use alternative tools. Loose that supplied socket and the tire is not coming out when need as even vise grips aren't going to hold it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sounds like a way to sell more of those very special sockets! Just can't think of any reason for that unless there was an anti-theft lug on the wheels that needed that size also....go figure.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
You need to re read the earlier posts. you so far off the issue as it is.

The NUT for lower in the spare tire does not accept a garage socket size!!!! All tire well nut are not even part of these post!!!

·
Registered
2011HL
1,431 Posts
I doubted that enough to go out and check mine.. and damn.. it is a 5 point socket. Guess Toyota wants to be sure folk don't use an impact to raise or lower the tire. But yes.. lose it and you are stuck.

·
Registered
2011HL
1,431 Posts
You need to re read the earlier posts. you so far off the issue as it is.

The NUT for lower in the spare tire does not accept a garage socket size!!!! All tire well nut are not even part of these post!!!
Yes.. my bad, at some point I assumed (foolishly) that the socket not fitting referred to the lug nut size. My bad, sorry.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I am glad to hear your input and confirmation. Minnkato above doesn't get it1
That fact of the socket explains a lot why I was unsuccessful the first day. It didn't hit me initially as I'd never run into that sort of issue before in all my decades of Wrenching on my vehicles.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
@Ralph6410
Sorry, not this was NOT directed at you. It was in replying to MINNKATO who focusing on deformed lug nut etc. All are 100% good as is this virgin tire lower nut.
I did not pickup on any implication from you.

All is good, no worries. Mistakes are mistakes and I do misread some of the many post of various forum myself. Getting old...LOL

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hey Trip, I was well aware of the special socket being used to lower the spare, I have the same one..Just didn't know it was a 5 point till' you pointed it out..I have seen in vehicles past that wierd sockets would be used to on the lug nuts also for anti-theft purposes....so I made a reference to the lug nuts as for a reason they might supply some oddball socket.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts