Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 484 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Winter tires and TPWS

I am researching winter tires and would like to buy steel wheels and permanently mount my snows on them instead of having to mount and dismount twice a year. Can I simply disable the system as the manual suggests by putting on tires not equipped with a TPWS or am i missing something. I don't want to spend the $300 to outfit my winter wheels with a warning system. I am diligent about checking pressure so I am comfortable with not having the monitoring for the winter. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru WRX STI
4,407 Posts
It's perfectly fine to use other wheels and tires, although after driving ~50 miles or so in one trip the TPMS light will come on. It doesnt come on too often with me since I dont drive 50 miles all at once very often, but a lot of people solve it simply by putting a piece of tape over it.

·
Registered
1998 Camry CE
2,069 Posts
Since you are diligent in checking tire pressures, and will do so in the winter, you should not have any issues with low tire pressure. The TPM system is made for the users that just gas and go, some may not even visit the mechanic at suggested maintenance intervals.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Does anyone know if there are any audible alarms if the TPWS are not installed?
If so, how long to they sound?

On a related note, a Lexus owner tells me that the LOCATION of the TPWS has to be registered with the dealer. And .... if the tires are rotated you have to have the computer reprogrammed by the dealer.
Anyone know if that is true?

·
Registered
2015 Subaru WRX STI
4,407 Posts
Does anyone know if there are any audible alarms if the TPWS are not installed?
If so, how long to they sound?

On a related note, a Lexus owner tells me that the LOCATION of the TPWS has to be registered with the dealer. And .... if the tires are rotated you have to have the computer reprogrammed by the dealer.
Anyone know if that is true?
There are no audible sounds, just the light.

The dealer has nothing to do with it, however the TPM sensors on your wheels need to be programmed with the car, however you dont have to do that every time you have the tires rotated.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Tpms

Not too fond of the 16 inch wheels. Bought a set of 17 inch SE rims and they came with the tire pressure monitoring sensors. I can easily read and record the TPMS serials. Now my question. Is there a way to get the TPMS serial numbers currently on the 16 inch wheels without removing the tires? I'd like to keep them and put them back on the car in some future period.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru WRX STI
4,407 Posts
If you want to use the TPMS sensors on the 17" wheels with your car, you will need the dealer to reprogram it for you. If you want to swap the ones on the 17" with the 16" wheels, then they would need to dismount and remount the tires.

·
Registered
2007 Camry TCH
589 Posts
Geoff is correct, you can't just slap a new set of TMPS sensors on your car and have them work. Each set of 4 sensors (+1 if you have the full-size spare) is registered to the ECU in the car. Otherwise, you ECU could potentially pick up the readings from any other Toyota TPMS near your car. If you replace the sensors on your car (such as the new sensors you just got), then a dealer needs to reprogram the ECU to accept the new sensor's serial numbers, which would also deactivate your current sensors.

fyi, this is all covered in the service manual.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Tpms

Good answers, but I already knew all that. I'd like to know if it's possible to get the serial numbers off the ECU so when I install the new wheels with TPMS, I won't have to dismount and remount the tires just so I can copy down the serial numbers.

·
Registered
2018 Avalon Hybrid XLE, 2018 Highlander XLE
48 Posts
tpms question

I just had studded winter tires put on steel rims and did not buy TPMS to go on the winter set up. After they were installed on my Camry Hybrid the TPMS light did NOT come on the dash. Could this be because the dealer never activated it? If so, is there any issues with running like this so I don't have to look at the indciator light until I put the all seasons back on? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru WRX STI
4,407 Posts
I just had studded winter tires put on steel rims and did not buy TPMS to go on the winter set up. After they were installed on my Camry Hybrid the TPMS light did NOT come on the dash. Could this be because the dealer never activated it? If so, is there any issues with running like this so I don't have to look at the indciator light until I put the all seasons back on? Thanks for the help.
The light doesnt come on right away, it takes quite a while. So did you buy new steel wheels or do you mean you put them on the stock steelies?

·
Registered
55 Posts
To register new TPMS with ECU you have to inflate the tire to 44 psi and then rapidly deflate 6psi or more. This can be done without dismounting tire.

·
Registered
62 Posts
crasher17

Does this mean you don't need the sn's? All you have to do is the inflate/deflate and the ECU picks up the signal and registers the TPMS?

·
it is what it is
07 Camry SE
2,294 Posts
Does this mean you don't need the sn's? All you have to do is the inflate/deflate and the ECU picks up the signal and registers the TPMS?
You do need them. The light will come. Sometimes not for a while but it will come on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
TPMS and new tires

Most of you folks are far more technical than I am. I own a Camry Hybrid and would like to know if, when I go to Costco to buy my new tires next year will I still have a working TPMS? Do the Costco guys need to do something special? Do I have to go back to the dealer for anything?

Thanks,

Bob

·
Registered
2015 Subaru WRX STI
4,407 Posts
If all your switching are the tires, then no there won't be any problem and the TPMS will still work. Now if you are switching wheels, then that will be different.

·
The former Maxima guy
77 Posts
Might not be a bad idea to "inform" them that your wheels have TPMS and that they are very expensive to replace/reprogram... Some of the guys dismounting the tires are pretty rough.

1 - 20 of 484 Posts