Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 484 Posts

·
Sienna owner
83 Posts
If all your switching are the tires, then no there won't be any problem and the TPMS will still work. Now if you are switching wheels, then that will be different.
Actually, there should not be any problem even if switching wheels as long as the installer does not physically damage them and they fit the new wheels correctly.
Both our '07 Sienna and '08 Hybrid have the same TPMS and I switched wheels on both vehicles (Lexus wheels on both) with zero issues.

·
Registered
17 Posts
low tire pressure indicator

Hi fellow TCH owners.
My wife drives our TCH and she called saying the low tire pressure light came on. She inspected the tires and couldn't tell which one was actually low so she put a little air in all 4. Any ideas what tire pressure sets of this sensor? or which tire may be low? Thanks for your help.:confused:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Set the tire pressure to what you need in all 4 tires. Re-set the monitor to that base pressure by using the button in the glove box (see your manual) and the system will then alert you when the pressure drops by aprox. 20% from the preset value.

You need to give her a gauge to keep in the car to find out which one is low. The tires will swap around when they are rotated and the car has no method to discover which wheel a TPMS sensor is located on.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks GeorgiaHybrid. I've been meaning to get her a tire gauge and air compressor for the car. You've just solved my 'what do I get her for Christmas" dilemma. Nothing says love like a set of fully inflated tires. Thanks for your help.:lol:

·
Hoffedge
2009 Camry Hybrid
7 Posts
Great post and replies. I'm have sveral gauges and have never trusted any of them. Any suggestions where to get a reliable one?

·
Registered
205 Posts
hoffege,

To save time I copied most of my post here from another forum that I frequent (greenhybrid.com) you should also check that forum out.

I guess I am one of those anal people when it comes to maintenance. I used to have a very nice Moroso gauge back in my youth when drag racing. It went to the 1/10 of a pound and was sent back to Moroso at the end of each season to be re-calibrated. That gauge is long gone but when looking for a new one a couple of years when gas prices started going thru the roof, that old Moroso became my standard to compare against.

The old gauge only went to 25psi (drag tires don't need that much in the way of air pressure) so I searched for a gauge with the same accuracy but capable of a higher pressure reading. The best that I have found (and bought) is an Accutire racing gauge that reads to 60psi in .1 psi increments. It re-calibrates before each use and has been spot on each and every time that I have had it checked.

It is a liitle expensive but it has a bleed valve to decrease pressure if you have added too much air, a 10" hose to make getting into tight spots easier and a nice display that is easy to read. I have several other gauges that I keep in my cars and at work but I check them all against this gauge to "re-mark" them to the pressures that I should have.

The following link is the gauge that I have but mine was purchased at Nothern Tools. If you can find one there, they will be a LOT cheaper.

http://www.autogeek.net/racing-tire-gauge.html

GH

·
Hoffedge
2009 Camry Hybrid
7 Posts
I checked Northern Tools.com and they didn't have this item. But I found it on Amazon for $38.41 with free freight. Thanks very much. In looking at the close up of the unit it's similar to the old Brookstone unit I had years ago which had an analog dial instead of digital. Thanx again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi

I just found this site. Pretty cool. Excuse a newbie question, but when I get my tires rotated, can I reprogram the TPMS myself, or do I have to go to the dealer? BTW, it's a 08 Camry hydrid without the nav system.

Thanks

·
Registered
'07 XLE 4 cyl.
6,123 Posts
Hi

I just found this site. Pretty cool. Excuse a newbie question, but when I get my tires rotated, can I reprogram the TPMS myself, or do I have to go to the dealer? BTW, it's a 08 Camry hydrid without the nav system.

Thanks
I've rotated mine several times without doing anything.

Don't worry about it.

·
Registered
'07 XLE 4 cyl.
6,123 Posts
To register new TPMS with ECU you have to inflate the tire to 44 psi and then rapidly deflate 6psi or more. This can be done without dismounting tire.
HA!!!!!!!

·
Hybrid Newbie
Camry
20 Posts
will the TPMS re-learn when I change rims?

What I'm wondering is when I put my winter rims & Snows on, will the car re-learn and re-pair with the new sensors after a few km's of driving.
(Both sets of rims have the sensors installed)
(This is for an '09 Camry Hybrid)
Please don't tell me I need to go to the dealer every Spring & Fall.

·
Registered
'07 XLE 4 cyl.
6,123 Posts
What I'm wondering is when I put my winter rims & Snows on, will the car re-learn and re-pair with the new sensors after a few km's of driving.
(Both sets of rims have the sensors installed)
(This is for an '09 Camry Hybrid)
Please don't tell me I need to go to the dealer every Spring & Fall.
OK, I won't tell you that..........

·
Paul_09WhiteV6
09 XLE V6 White
6,677 Posts
no it means you need to get the others programmed once to your car. though there are people who don't have them in their summer rims and don't have the light as long as they don't drive cross country.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Hmm...thats an interesting question. Im not sure if it actually stores more than 4 or 5 (if theres one in the spare) sensor ID's at a time. I'll have to look into that.

·
Hybrid Newbie
Camry
20 Posts
2 completely different answers.
One says the programming is a one time deal. Which I don't have a problem with.
The other answer infers I have to have it done twice a year ($50x2=no thanks).

Is this something that has to be done at a dealer or can I initiate some kind of self learn sequence?

·
Registered
'07 XLE 4 cyl.
6,123 Posts
2 completely different answers.
One says the programming is a one time deal. Which I don't have a problem with.
The other answer infers I have to have it done twice a year ($50x2=no thanks).

Is this something that has to be done at a dealer or can I initiate some kind of self learn sequence?
If you want the TPMS to work year around you will have to have them programmed 2x a year by the dealer or a tire dealer with a machine.

No self learn process..

A lot of the posters on forums post answers for questions that they no nothing about. In time you may be able to sort the BS from the facts.

21 - 40 of 484 Posts