Toyota Nation Forum banner

141 - 160 of 484 Posts

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
unless you get several different gauges and compare their readings to each other and to the TPMS reading ;).
That would be a good start... I was poking at him a bit there. Most decent gauges are pretty accurate, but not always right on the money. The entire point was that one pound either way is not going to alter anything at all. Not sure I've ever run into anybody being quite so anal about tire pressure to the half pound.

·
Registered
2012 Camry Hybrid
1,442 Posts
I have an Accutire MS-4021B digital tire gauge which displays in 0.5 PSI increments and found the TPMS to be within +/- 0.5 PSI of the gauge.
I also set my tires with this same gauge. I misplaced the nice chrome digital gauge I used with the '07. The other day wife found the chrome gauge in her pickup. I'm looking forward to comparing them soon.

I had the same results as you did using the Accutire MS04021B vs the in car display.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Got a flat tire!

Drove to work yesterday's morning and saw a screw in one of my tires.
It wasn't completely flat. TPMS said 28.

So at lunch time I drove car to this shop that I had called before that said they'll put nitrogen in 4 tires for $20.

Took it there to have the tire fix and while at it have nitrogen put in 4 tires of my car.

Bill came to be $50!

$20 for Nitrogen, $15 for fixing nail in tire and $15 for balance of 4 wheels which I didn't ask for. If rebalancing was necessary, they should have told me that before and not surprise you with it.

Regardless, I paid the bill and tip the guy who worked on my car.

Also I had asked for the guy to put in 40 PSI, higher than tire's manufacturer recommendation because I like the gas savings you get from it. The guy expressed some concerns saying TPMS warning lights might come on. I said not to worry because I have been driving on 39 PSI since I got the new car off the Toyota's lot 2 months ago. They were no warning lights to worry about.

So the guy said okay, he'll do it.
After I got home, I checked the tire pressure, its all at 35 PSI and not 40 per my request.

I was watching as best I could from customer area when the guy was fixing the flat tire. It appeared that they did a good job to make sure the nail hole was fixed for good.

One last complaint, my car is brand new so I think they should have been a little careful. I found black smudges and dark fingerprints inside of my car at driver's door and at glove compartment (they had to get the wheel lock).

To help others, I will comment in Yelp and perhaps avoid this place.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Did the TPMS light come on or did you just notice the tire was low?

PM me if you don't mind sharing the name of the place. Since it was probably hot outside, I would have asked for 45 PSI, then told them I'll let it out in the AM when it's cold. For next time, you can use the TPMS readout while you're there to check.

For the reasons you mentioned, I hate taking my car anywhere to get it worked on. I fixed my flat with a $5 plug kit - not as good as your fix, but avoided the headaches and it's still holding fine after months - I check the TPMS readings daily not make sure it's not leaking.

So, are you going to take your car back to get the Nitrogen level up to 40? You should. Did you check your wheels to make sure they did not get scraped up?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Drove to work yesterday's morning and saw a screw in one of my tires.
It wasn't completely flat. TPMS said 28.

So at lunch time I drove car to this shop that I had called before that said they'll put nitrogen in 4 tires for $20.

Took it there to have the tire fix and while at it have nitrogen put in 4 tires of my car.

Bill came to be $50!

$20 for Nitrogen, $15 for fixing nail in tire and $15 for balance of 4 wheels which I didn't ask for. If rebalancing was necessary, they should have told me that before and not surprise you with it.

Regardless, I paid the bill and tip the guy who worked on my car.

Also I had asked for the guy to put in 40 PSI, higher than tire's manufacturer recommendation because I like the gas savings you get from it. The guy expressed some concerns saying TPMS warning lights might come on. I said not to worry because I have been driving on 39 PSI since I got the new car off the Toyota's lot 2 months ago. They were no warning lights to worry about.

So the guy said okay, he'll do it.
After I got home, I checked the tire pressure, its all at 35 PSI and not 40 per my request.

I was watching as best I could from customer area when the guy was fixing the flat tire. It appeared that they did a good job to make sure the nail hole was fixed for good.

One last complaint, my car is brand new so I think they should have been a little careful. I found black smudges and dark fingerprints inside of my car at driver's door and at glove compartment (they had to get the wheel lock).

To help others, I will comment in Yelp and perhaps avoid this place.
I would go back and get my 20PSI (4 tires x 5PSI)

·
Registered
2012 Camry Hybrid
1,442 Posts
It's a very good idea to always check your wheels and lug nuts before taking your car to have them rotated and balanced or even for a flat. I used walmart till I bought this last set of tires from Discount Tire. Early one morning a young man in a bad mood at walmart installed a set of michelin tires on my '07 TCH. I later picked up the car and noticed 7 lug nuts on 3 wheels all scratched up. A small short scratch was on one of the allow wheels. I went inside and ask for the tire shop manager. He said no problem he would order the 7 new lug nuts. It took about a week for the toyota dealer to get them in. Walmart installed them with no problem and the scratch on the alloy wheel was so small I let that go.

Actually i'm glad to deal with discount on rotation and balance. I have bought many sets of tires from them and their very good at working with the balance and all. Never had any complaints with them. Would you believe the new Discount Tire store opened here in town just a few months ago and is located right next to Walmart's main parking lot exit.

B

·
0 Posts
ahhh.... LesSchwab fixes flats for free
And they charge $12 a wheel for balancing. You got all that for $50? I'm envious.
I believe for a tire bought at Costco flat repair and wheel balancing are free, along with nitrogen filled.

·
Registered
2012 Camry Hybrid
1,442 Posts
I believe for a tire bought at Costco flat repair and wheel balancing are free, along with nitrogen filled.
Discount tire also included the free rot and bal when you buy a set tires. No nitrogen at discount that I know of. The rot and bal is probably hidden as a discount in the price of a set of tires. I have heard they fix flats for free and do free tire rotation. If so it's to lure in more customers for possible future tire sales.

B

·
0 Posts
Discount tire also included the free rot and bal when you buy a set tires. No nitrogen at discount that I know of. The rot and bal is probably hidden as a discount in the price of a set of tires. I have heard they fix flats for free and do free tire rotation. If so it's to lure in more customers for possible future tire sales.
Costco will rotate and balance every 7,500 miles free for life of tire, in addition to free repair.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Just had my 5,000 mile check-up on the new 2012 XLE hybrid.

I asked the service writer to make CERTAIN that I had tires inflated to 40 psi (cold).

And I also taped a note to the steering wheel that said - in big bold letters - I want tires inflated to 40 psi.

When I picked up the car (Checkered Flag, Virginia Beach), all four tires were at 35 PSI.

I went back to the service writer and said, "C'mon. Really?"

So I had to wait an additional 15 minutes (on top of my 1:15 minute wait) for this inane 5,000 mile service.

I'm already disappointed in Checkered Flag, and we're just getting started...

Rose

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I generally buy tires at Costco. They include nitrogen and free lifetime rotation and balancing. However, I seldom find it worth the hassle to use it, and just rotate them at home. Then I know it is done right.

On balancing it is gross overkill to rebalance every rotation. In fact it can cause more damage than good. The tire techs keep trying to use crimp on weights instead of stick on. I find on cast wheels the crimp on weights often cause a rim leak. So you end up with a balanced wheel and slow leak.

Simpler just to do it at home. No appointment required, and I know lug nut torque, air pressure, and tire rotation pattern is done right. It is also an opportunity to clean the wheels where they fit on the hub. They are frequently seized, and can be a real pain to remove if you get a flat out on the road in the middle of nowhere.

·
Registered
2012 Camry Hybrid
1,442 Posts
Stick on weights

I prefer having the tires balanced every 5000 miles in case a stick on weight fell off. That's rare anymore but I enjoy knowing my tires are riding as smooth as possible at any speed.

With the cars I have owned with alloy wheels I don't remember every seeing a visible weight once I started using the discount tire store. I think walmart finally switched over to using the stick on weights inside the wheel.

I did find out that the dealers free oil change for 2 years included free tire rotation, but no balance. With the new tires I bought recently from discount, now I won't have to mess with the dealers rotation.

·
Registered
399 Posts
$20 cheap flat tire fix

Oz: all I see is you got a flat tire fix for $50. You think you get other services out of this? Incl nitrogen? Hummm The regular air has mostly nitrogen (78%+) so that is what they got at barging prices. :rofl2:

You forgot what they say.. if its too good to be true its probably not :D

141 - 160 of 484 Posts