Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While recently having new tires installed on my 2017 RAV4, a TPMS sensor was damaged. My local Toyota dealership charges over $250 to install a new sensor. Is that reasonable? Are there better options?

·
Registered
468 Posts
I would go somewhere else. I have never had to replace a TPMS sensor (my Tacoma TPMS hasn't worked for about 3 years, but I don't care). According to posters in threads on other forums, many places will replace the sensors for much less.

·
Registered
2000 Toyota Camry LE 5S-FE engine; A140E transmission
47 Posts
I know this thread has been here for a while but I am going to share what I know in the hopes that it helps someone.

First and foremost TMPS is a crock. it is for lazy and stupid people who refuse to find the time or care enough to take care of their cars. TPMS uses a low power, low energy radio signal (actually I think it is Bluetooth) to send information from each tire to the ECU in the car and there are so many things that go wrong with TPMS systems is it sad. Case in point, one of the trucks where I work was showing the passenger side rear tire to be at 14 lbs as per the TPMS system. Normal pressure for those tires is 40 lbs. Feeling suspicious I checked all the tires on that truck with my personal tire guage and the passenger side rear tire was at 38 lbs but the driver side rear was the one at 14 lbs, it had picked up a nail which we fixed and is now living happily ever after. From that point on I now ignore anything TPMS related and check the pressures with a guage.

Second example, I was in a local repair shop having some work done to my Camry and the customer in front of my looked like he was going to lose his mind. He had a newer car with TPMS and he kept telling the service advisor that the TPMS light kept coming on and the service advisor kept trying to explain TPMS to him and he was not having a lot of success at all. and I felt sorry for both of them. The customer kept asking why can't he check his tires with a guage and the poor service advisor just didn't know how to handle that question.

We need to move away from this crap that only increases the price tag of cars and does not add any value at all. I check and adjust when needed my tires once a month with a known accurate guage and when needed I fill them with a bicycle tire pump. This allows me to actually look at my tires for signs of uneven wear, nails, etc. and deal with it before it becomes an issue. Let's stop being so lazy and letting things do our thinking for us and actually do it ourselves. Nuff said!

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
7,236 Posts
I know this thread has been here for a while but I am going to share what I know in the hopes that it helps someone.

First and foremost TMPS is a crock. it is for lazy and stupid people who refuse to find the time or care enough to take care of their cars. TPMS uses a low power, low energy radio signal (actually I think it is Bluetooth) to send information from each tire to the ECU in the car and there are so many things that go wrong with TPMS systems is it sad. Case in point, one of the trucks where I work was showing the passenger side rear tire to be at 14 lbs as per the TPMS system. Normal pressure for those tires is 40 lbs. Feeling suspicious I checked all the tires on that truck with my personal tire guage and the passenger side rear tire was at 38 lbs but the driver side rear was the one at 14 lbs, it had picked up a nail which we fixed and is now living happily ever after. From that point on I now ignore anything TPMS related and check the pressures with a guage.

Second example, I was in a local repair shop having some work done to my Camry and the customer in front of my looked like he was going to lose his mind. He had a newer car with TPMS and he kept telling the service advisor that the TPMS light kept coming on and the service advisor kept trying to explain TPMS to him and he was not having a lot of success at all. and I felt sorry for both of them. The customer kept asking why can't he check his tires with a guage and the poor service advisor just didn't know how to handle that question.

We need to move away from this crap that only increases the price tag of cars and does not add any value at all. I check and adjust when needed my tires once a month with a known accurate guage and when needed I fill them with a bicycle tire pump. This allows me to actually look at my tires for signs of uneven wear, nails, etc. and deal with it before it becomes an issue. Let's stop being so lazy and letting things do our thinking for us and actually do it ourselves. Nuff said!
That is an issue with the vehicle itself as depending on the TPMS system you will either be able to read each specific wheels tire pressure or you have a light. As seen in a previous thread for the Highlander, IF your vehicle has the ability to tell you the tire pressure of each wheel THEN when you get new tires you may have to re calibrate the wheel positions to match what you see on the vehicle display. That was the likely issue for the truck. Otherwise, the TPMS did its job. It told you you had a tire was low and you found it. "Dumb" TPMS is just a light that is either on or off. If there is a leak the light turns on then you go search for that leak.

Realistically, there is little to "dumb" TPMS. You have your TPMS, the TPMS receiver, and the TPMS ECU. If there is something wrong, you start at the TPMS then to the receiver then to the ECU. Honestly, there has been little instances of TPMS systems going bad that is not related the TPMS in the wheel finally dying. The only numerous instance of TPMS is when people get annoyed at the light. I have seen more threads like that than I see TPMS components going bad.
  1. I'm angry the TPMS light is on, F*** TPMS
  2. My TPMS died
  3. My TPMS are all working but there seems to be an issue somewhere else
I don't check my wheels as much as I should, at most I may check it if I bring my car to the shop or typically before winter because I am bored and figured I might as well. Each and every time my TPMS light has come on, it is because I had a puncture. It is like that each and every time. My TPMS assuming they have been with my car since the factory has been working since 2007. I know the battery is gonna die soon, I can feel it but it has yet to happen.

Someone had said before that TPMS readings get skewed over time. I have yet to see that happen because if they did, we would see a whole lot more threads about TPMS.

TPMS is what it is. It ain't that scary. If you don't like it, ignore it. If you don't like it, ignore the light. If you don't like it, do something stupid with the wiring. There's nothing else to it. The problem with thinking for ourselves is that not a lot of people have the knowledge or are willing to learn the knowledge so they need the assists that they don't use because by that point the manufacturer have done everything they could to prevent a potential accident from occurring.

Capture.PNG

1 - 7 of 7 Posts