Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, I turned into my work parking lot and slid into the curb hitting the right tire which went flat. :surprise:. This tire had a plug in it from a previous slow leak caused by a bolt.

The spare tire is now on the right front. The TPMS light came on and figure the spare was low. It was at 25 so I put in 32 and tried to reset the TPMS and it does not reset. I then notices the door label say 29. I was going to remove some air and try to reset it again after I read a note in the forum that the new Tacoma’s spare do not have a TPMS?

In any case, the tread is low on all 4 and I am looking at get the Michelin LTX/M/S2 tires at Costco – on sale for $645.96 for a set of four plus a $60 disposal fee or the Michelin Latitude Tour for $549. I checked around and price is the best I can see. Mr. Tire is $839

Once I get the new tires, will the TPMS need to be rest again by the Costco service tech?

·
Premium Member
08' Tacoma Dbl Cab
5,604 Posts
The light is on due to the flat tire from hitting the curb....has nothing to do with the spare. The system continuously reads all sensors, if it get an over/under inflated reading, the light comes on. If it can't read all programmed sensors, the light comes on. Just because you changed the tire and put on the spare, does not mean the system stops reading the flat tire.

As long as the tech sets the pressure at the correct level after the tire replacement, the light should shut off on its own. Although given you have fiddled with trying to reset the system. It is probably a good idea to get all tires to the correct pressure and reset the system for good measure to make sure it is set to read all pressures correct;y.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok,,

Where are the sensors located?

I can set the pressure correctly now and try a reset ..
After I press the reset and hold for the light to blink 3, how long do I wait after I start the engine ?

I noticed the flat tire has a blue stem cover and the others are black.

Is it normal to have only one blue or did the last time I had tires rotated, the technician did not put the blue caps back on?

·
Registered
1986 Toyota Pickup
1,671 Posts
The valve stem is part of the sensor itself inside the wheel. The blue caps have nothing to do with the TPMS. If anything, the caps were just for looks.

Let Costo deal with resetting the light. It's part of their job anyways when installing new tires.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just checked with Costco,

They said that when they replace tires, they replace they recommend replacing TPMS Service Packs for $12.

Is this recommend ?

·
Registered
Tacoma
40 Posts
That would be some replacement mounting parts for the TPMS sensors. That is normal unless your TPMS units are not very old. Some shops request this service no matter what.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Does the spare have the tpms. My 2007 did but my 2010 and 2015 did and do not.
Not that it changes anything from the above posts but just curious.

·
Registered
1986 Toyota Pickup
1,671 Posts
Does the spare have the tpms. My 2007 did but my 2010 and 2015 did and do not.
Not that it changes anything from the above posts but just curious.
Only one way the original poster knows for sure is to look at the spare if it has a metal or rubber valve stem.

Metal = Yes, tpms
Rubber = No, tpms

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That then seems to be the reason the TPMS light will not go out even after I tried a reset of the TPMS with the spare tire on the truck.

At COSCO, they offer the TPMS service packs for $4 per tire.

Total for Michelin LTX M/S2 is $710.. including tax, TPMS Service Packs, Lifetime Rotation, Disposal Fees, valve stems,

·
Registered
1986 Toyota Pickup
1,671 Posts
That then seems to be the reason the TPMS light will not go out even after I tried a reset of the TPMS with the spare tire on the truck.

At COSCO, they offer the TPMS service packs for $4 per tire.

Total for Michelin LTX M/S2 is $710.. including tax, TPMS Service Packs, Lifetime Rotation, Disposal Fees, valve stems,
Make sure they don't over charge you. The TPMS Service Packs will take place of the valve stems. So, you shouldn't be charge for valve stem replacements when there isn't a valve stem to replace in the first place. Only thing you should be charge for is the new seals for the tpms sensors (TPMS Service Packs).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts