Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When replacing OEM rims with custom rims for a Gen6, is it necessary to purchase and re-install a TPMS onto the new rims? I was thinking of keeping my OEM rims and rubber for winter tires and buying new 18's and rubber for the summer - but don't feel like forking out for a new set of TPMS's if it's not necessary and a light won't be blinking on my dash or something all the time. I can live without a tire pressure sensor on my summer rubber if it doesn't cause problems....

Anyone have any info/thoughts?

Cheers.

·
I Miss my I4VVTI
08 Camry SE
1,294 Posts
When replacing OEM rims with custom rims for a Gen6, is it necessary to purchase and re-install a TPMS onto the new rims? I was thinking of keeping my OEM rims and rubber for winter tires and buying new 18's and rubber for the summer - but don't feel like forking out for a new set of TPMS's if it's not necessary and a light won't be blinking on my dash or something all the time. I can live without a tire pressure sensor on my summer rubber if it doesn't cause problems....

Anyone have any info/thoughts?

Cheers.
if u dont want the light blinking u have to get set of TPMS and that is very Usefull that light indicate ur air is low.. if u need a set of TPMS PM me i got a Set of 4 for sale.. thx

·
Registered
'07 XLE 4 cyl.
6,123 Posts
Forget a 2nd set of TPMS sensors.

If you go that way, every time you change your wheels you will have to go to the dealer and have them reprogram your TPMS ECM to recognize them. That can cost you $150-200 per year alone.

With my winter wheels (w/o tpms sensors), my tpms light may come on for one day per week MAX. The rest of the time it is off.

The TPMS law is aimed for the lazy general public who need the government to look after yet another aspect of their lives and cost everyone to look after a few.

·
Sedan Life
2003 Lexus ES300
5,115 Posts
you do not need to have the TMPS sensors in your wheels...
that is, of course if you dont mind seeing that annoying little TPMS light come on now and again
id put the TMPS in your good wheels you use most often, and keep regular valve stems in your winter wheels.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru WRX STI
4,407 Posts
As long as you have the wheels with the TPMS in your garage or near the car when you park, the light will reset overnight.

·
Registered
341 Posts
a trick the tacoma guys did was to build a small air tight box,(usually bolted or welded), and mounted the tps in there, and fill it wit 32 psi of air and toss it under the rear seats. keeps the truck thinking that it is ok. or pop the odo off and pop the led out.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru WRX STI
4,407 Posts
a trick the tacoma guys did was to build a small air tight box,(usually bolted or welded), and mounted the tps in there, and fill it wit 32 psi of air and toss it under the rear seats. keeps the truck thinking that it is ok. or pop the odo off and pop the led out.
I was thinking exactly that, but I was thinking of using a small tire, from a wagon or something and then find a way to mount all the TPS sensors in there.

Thanks for the tip though!

·
Registered
937 Posts
Any tire shop should have the tool to reset the TPMS system, so its not like you have to go to the dealer everytime. Its always a shame when manufacturers are forced to put these types of systems in their cars just because people are too lazy to take a look at their tires once in a while.....but thats just my opinion.

·
Here and there...
Camry 07
5,838 Posts
On my 2nd, 3rd and 4th set of rims I did not install TPMS and just deal with the light stay on my dash. I did use a black tape to cover it up so it doesn't bother me.
Once my found my dream GS rims (5th set) I bought a set of TPMS of ebay for $110 then paid $50 for the dealer to re-programed the new TPMS.

·
Registered
'07 XLE 4 cyl.
6,123 Posts
Any tire shop should have the tool to reset the TPMS system, so its not like you have to go to the dealer everytime.
Wake up and come out into the real world.

·
Registered
'07 XLE 4 cyl.
6,123 Posts
In the real world, if you want to stay in the automotive buisness you have to keep up with the technology.
So every tire shop should buy a tester w/software from every auto manufacturer on every one of their models, subscribe to their software updates, subscribe to the service manuals for instructions, train all their wrench turners to use every tester for every model and give continuing training on its use???

Dream on and don't wake up then............

·
Registered
937 Posts
You obviously dont know how the software or tools work. For example OCT sells a TPMS tool that works on all models and systems. It retails for about $800 and can be updated online with the newest info. Considering the average tire machine costs about $4,000, spending $800 on a nessesary tool is not that far fetched. Oh and by the way, if you can work a cell phone you can use this tool. Consider yourself educated! And whats with the personal attack?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts