Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
TN Track day addict
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Track Day Proposal (can someone pls sticky this)

This is basically my thread to list some ideas on rules and regulations about how TN track days should be ran.

Do NOT post whore on this thread (ahem shaun and minesh) unless you want me to throw rocks at your cars.

Basically tihs is an expansion of another thread i made a couple of months ago.

Safety is a critical consideration at all club events, with the rules and regulations set up specifically to ensure the safety of participants and spectators.

The event shall be open to all vehicles that can pass the safety inspection and can meet the rules set out herein:

1 Driver Restraint Seat lap belts are the minimum acceptable driver restraint.

2.Closed footwear (no sandals) shall be worn

3.Roll bars and helmet are recommended, but not necessary.

4.All loose items inside and outside the car shall be removed or secured.

5.Wheels shall be safely attached. All lugs and studs shall be present and functional. There shall be no missing or broken spokes on wire wheels. There shall be no cracks in disc or cast wheels. Tires shall have no cord showing at any time. Cars with cord showing will not be permitted to continue.

6.Anyone NOT following instructions by club officials in regard to safety will be disqualified and/or evicted from the site. If for some reason, disciplinary action must be taken, all club officers present at the time of the incident will decide upon the correct action. While club officials may ask a driver to leave the present event, they may ban them from a number of events, or may request that they never participate again.

7.Any DOT approved tire must be used.

8. Only course workers will be allowed out in the course area. Exceptions may be made by event chairs or club officials.

9.A car that is black flagged must return to the pit stop immediately. The black flag may indicate a detectable defect with a vehicle which could endanger the safety of others, or may be due to driving behavior which pose a threat to other track users.

10. Flag signals shall be explained to drivers on site.

11. Drivers must be registered for the event and sign the waiver. Club officials have the right to refuse any unwelcome driver to participate under any circumstances.

12 A 5-10 second gap will be placed between each car during the start.

13. No passing at anytime. The only exception is on the front straight and only when the slower driver has given the correct signal and/or yield their way. This shall be explained on site.

14. This is a a non-competing event, which means this is a fun lapping session. No aggressive driving style or danger actions will be permitted on the running.

15, No alcohol or drugs are allowed prior or during the track event. (duh)

16. No cell phones or any communication devices will be allowed when driving.

Herein are rules that you must follow and remember when you are driving on the track.

RULE 1 - Passing Zone:
· Passing is allowed on the Front Straight only. No exceptions.
· All passing must be completed before turn 1.
· All passing must be made on the right side of the vehicle you intend to overtake.
· All passing is executed only after given proper signal (see RULE 2 below) from the vehicle in front.
· All passing should be quick and prompt.
. Faster car cannot initiate a pass to the slower traffic. Only slower car can initiate a pass for the faster car.

RULE 2 - Slower Car:
· Stay on the line that you are driving.
· RIGHT TURN SIGNAL will be used to initiate a pass on the Front Straight.
· Slow down and ease off the throttle to help the faster car behind to pass.
· Relax and drive at you own pace. Respect faster cars.

RULE 3 - Faster Car:
· Let the slow car complete the turn (prior to Passing Zone) safely.
· NO SIGNAL, NO PASSING!
· Stay directly behind the slower car. Do no drive in its blind spot.
· Patiently wait for your signal to execute the pass.
· Pass with care.
· Respect slower cars/drivers. Be patient and keep a safe distance.

RULE 4 - Pit-in:
· Drive on the left side of the track after exiting the corner prior to the front straight.
· RAISE YOUR LEFT HAND (to the outside of your vehicle) to indicate your intention to pit.
. No emergency signal will be used on the track.
· Drive slowly in the pit area.

Advice:
· If you break any of the rules above, you will be black-flagged to come in for a talk.
· If you break the rule again, we shall send you home directly.(Of course, we don`t want this to happen.)
· If you put any wheels out of the circuit intentionally, we will not ask you to come back.
. There will be three warm-up laps for people to get use of the track. A common problem when you`re starting out is trying to take the tight sections too fast, and not staying in control. So please slow down on the first two warm up section, if further help or driving instruction is needed, most experienced drivers are more than glad to help you out.
. There will not be any police, insurance or ambulances on duty. You are expected to use common sense when lapping.
. We will be limiting the amount of cars going out at any given time to give lots of room to all the drivers, and stay as safe as possible.
. Please be considerate to other fellow drivers,and take caution. Please don`t tailgate other driver if they are slower than you, and take a reansonable distance behind the others.

In addition to the above, after yesterday's fiasco, I'm going to suggest that people who want to go to the track, have to pay by the wednesday of the week the track day is on.

so for example, let's say for the Aug 16th date, those who wants to go have to pay by the 13th. Limit our event to 30 cars MAX and it'll be much more organized and safer. No more paying at the track bullshit.

Everyone who wants to drive at the track MUST all be there 60 minutes BEFORE the scheduled time that the track opens up for us. so if the day starts at 6, we get there by 5. Drivers will be handed out pit passes before the briefing commences. If you miss the meeting, thus causing you to not get a pit pass, then the person doesn't get on, it's as simple as that.

There will be three people marshalling at all times. 1 person to wave the car out, and 2 to watch the track and flag if necessary.

that's all i can think of for now...if deep and spence has anything to add, pls lemme know.

edit: after yesterday's events, ALL marshals must know what each and every flag's functions were.

i can't believe they started waving a yellow after that prelude went off like that.

·
since 1996
1,772 Posts
"7.Any DOT approved tire must be used."

Do you mean only DOT approved tires may be used?

The wording is messed up so its some what confusing.

·
TN Track day addict
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
to quote Ratko:

Everyone needs to remember one important fact: this track meet was organized by a couple of ToyotaNation members. Neither Dickson or I, or any of the TN staff for that matter had anything to do with the organization (or lack thereof) of this past event. Labelling it a ToyotaNation Track Day is false and misleading.

well, now that the man has spoken, i think what we should do is this:

the track days organized by ken and spence SHOULD be viewed as OPEN track days w/ invitation for TN members, instead of TN track days.

if that's the case, i'll still help out on the TN track days....so when you big boys wanna organize one, let me know.

·
In Ur MOM's Pants
2,882 Posts
1 question
if we are regular track day attendees must we still arrive 60minutes prior to the events opening and go through the rules process over and over again or can we be given a break and allow all the newbies to get a better chance of meeting the big guys and understanding the rules on a more one on one basis?

·
TN Track day addict
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i don't care if u'r jacques villeneuve

no meeting = no track time

period.

that's how i'd like to see OFFICIAL TN track days ran.

otherwise it'd be setting a double standard.

if you wanna run, you attend the meeting.

·
not actual size
1,899 Posts
It makes sense. I mean, from a legal point of view not only having a signed waiver but the fact that everyone had to be present at a meeting where ground rules were laid down is safer for the organizers if something bad happens.

Also I'd add that "loose items in the driving compartment" should be enumerated, such as "change, things hanging from the mirror, bottles of water/pop, floormats, clothing, etc" You'd really be surprised what can roll under a brake pedal at the wrong moment.

·
TN Track day addict
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i like having the vets at the meeting as well as a bakcup

if the organizers have a brain fart and miss a point, the experienced guys can be there to back up and bring up the missed points.

·
TN Track day addict
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i'll help brief the guys there as they come in.

it won't work out like how it SHOULD work out seeing it's an OPEN track day

but it should help

·
There is no substitute.
7,353 Posts
No need to make this a sticky.

At the date of the track day, the organizers should have at least 1 copy of this "rule sheet" for each driver. And the rules need to be explained verbally.

·
TN Track day addict
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you tell me how is it possible to have a sheet per driver when they don't even know how many ppl are going to show up

it could range from 20-40 ;)

·
Druken Postwhore
2,490 Posts
Print one copy out, print a whole bunch at the local convinient store, than give them out and what ever is left over, keep them for the next track day:)

·
aka doublezero...
622 Posts
You forgot battery-tie down must be in place. A roll over could be disastorus if a battery hit both terminals on the hood... could = big fire!

·
Guitars and Cars
3,350 Posts
Lafora said:
you tell me how is it possible to have a sheet per driver when they don't even know how many ppl are going to show up

it could range from 20-40 ;)
You just said that people have to pay three days before track day or they can't participate... so just make enough copies for those who have paid..(what am i missing?)

·
TN Track day addict
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Chris Corolla S said:

You just said that people have to pay three days before track day or they can't participate... so just make enough copies for those who have paid..(what am i missing?)
what u'r missing is i'm not running these track days :)

the whole idea of a rule sheets handout is redundant if there's a driver's meeting.

·
aka doublezero...
622 Posts
well not to be an ass here Cyril... but IMO it would be a decent Idea to have them at the meeting... I mean you dont go to a meeting and not get an agenda. And its nice to have it on paper for some of us... I mean some of those who smoke too much weed and dont absorb shit without hearing, reading, and reading again.
...I dont know, it may help solve some issues.

·
There is no substitute.
7,353 Posts
wunderboy said:
I mean you dont go to a meeting and not get an agenda. And its nice to have it on paper for some of us... I mean some of those who smoke too much weed and dont absorb shit without hearing, reading, and reading again.
That's right. :D

·
TN Track day addict
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
wunderboy said:
well not to be an ass here Cyril... but IMO it would be a decent Idea to have them at the meeting... I mean you dont go to a meeting and not get an agenda. And its nice to have it on paper for some of us... I mean some of those who smoke too much weed and dont absorb shit without hearing, reading, and reading again.
good point ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts