Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm new to the board and looking for some thoughts. I'm thinking of trading in my 05 Taco for a new Frontier. I bought a Taco because it was supossed to be the most reliable truck out their. Unfortunately, I've had one problem after another (leaking, paper tailgate, and about 5 others). I have two buddies that own frontiers and quited frankly they drive better in my opinion. We go 4x4 once in a while. Last time we switched trucks and the Frontier was much more fun to drive than my Taco :sosad: . To top it off, I can trade my used Taco in for a new Frontier with essentially no loss. Thoughts?

·
Precision driver
2,105 Posts
TocomaTed said:
I'm new to the board and looking for some thoughts. I'm thinking of trading in my 05 Taco for a new Frontier. I bought a Taco because it was supossed to be the most reliable truck out their. Unfortunately, I've had one problem after another (leaking, paper tailgate, and about 5 others). I have two buddies that own frontiers and quited frankly they drive better in my opinion. We go 4x4 once in a while. Last time we switched trucks and the Frontier was much more fun to drive than my Taco :sosad: . To top it off, I can trade my used Taco in for a new Frontier with essentially no loss. Thoughts?
Oh no, you'll probably take a small loss. If you sell it yourself you'll make out better. I'd suggest holding on to it for another year for you to break even or start making money on it.

Just a word of advice for the future, never buy the first model year after a redesign. They are usually filled with problems.

·
Powder Seeker
2007 Tacoma Double
275 Posts
I just baught a new 2007 Tacoma but I came from a 95 pathfinder that I loved so it was a hard call not to buy a Frontier. While I liked the Frontier it was Nissan that I worried about. Nissan quality control is lacking in many regards, expecially on new models. I love Nissan, don't get me wrong, but there are a lot of people arguing with the dealers about little broken things.

Checkout www.carreview.com and read posts by people with Frontiers, there are a lot of common problems that people are experiencing.

I am not trying to discourage you, but rather give you insight from a nissan owner for the last 10 years. Either way they are both great trucks, but lemons happen, it's how the manufacture takes care of it that matters.

·
Registered
780 Posts
yeah, why would we tell you to get a frontier? personally, my roommate drives a 2004 Frontier, and i like my Tacoma much better. i also had an 2003 xterra before my tacoma, and i can say that it was cheap junk.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Though it was a long time ago I bought a new Nissan puck up. V6, king cab, 5 speed. What a huge piece of crap. Long story short, I would never, ever buy a nissan product again as long as I live.:thumbdown :thumbdown :thumbdown

·
And My Dog Remington
725 Posts
Its all about what you want... you dont want the Tacoma anymore... then get rid of it.

You arnt trolling are you... ? Most people who buy "TACOMAs" can spell "TACOMA" ???:wtf:

Anyways... welcome to the board. May the flaming begin! :lol:

·
Registered
06 TRD Sport 4x4
1,459 Posts
Stay away from Nissans...My 05 Armada LE has been in the shop over 20 times for problems. Most of them have been minor besides a full brake replacement. There is definetely some quality issues with their vehicles. I don't think I would ever buy another Nissan based on the experience I have had with my Armada.

·
Registered
'06 Prerunner TRD
1,093 Posts
yeah- although the Nissans are nice- my '06 is way better... you made a fundamental car buying mistake- you bought a first year of production vehicle... that's a no no.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
sorry for the typo(s). I was in a bit of a rush this morning. I think we have some english majors here. I'm fully aware that all new trucks will have their issues. I just thought Toyota would have less. It seems like Toyota is trying to live off their rep rather then continue to make the quality I have been used to with other toyotas (traded in my 01 Tacoma for the 05). My point is that I have never owned a vehicle with this many problems (also had tranny leak after 3 months, engine noise very loud over 2500 RPM). The dealership is becoming my second home. Most of the answers I see on this board are "it's a Toyota, Nissan sucks". Meanwhile, more times than not the Frontier get's better writeups from the various "experts". I think Toyota went cheap on this truck and only a few people on this board are able to admit it. Theirs a difference between being a lemon and overall poor quality.

·
Registered
2005 Toyota Tacoma
232 Posts
I think you guys with '06's and 07's are being awful high and mighty in this thread. My 2005 is just fine thanks. I don't think it's some "classic mistake" buying the first year of the re-design. I've not had ANY problems. Unless you count the little plastic lid that broke off my auxilary power port. Literally, that's been my only problem and I'm at 29K miles.

·
Registered
Gen 3 Camry
445 Posts
TocomaTed said:
I have two buddies that own frontiers and quited frankly they drive better in my opinion. We go 4x4 once in a while. Last time we switched trucks and the Frontier was much more fun to drive than my Taco :sosad:
why stick with something that makes you sad. why not go ahead and get what will bring more fun into your life? you said it yourself, you had more fun driving the Frontier.

a lot of the guys here love their Taco's, so i wouldn't expect a flood of support coming your way. besides, if you want to know more about Frontier problems, maybe you should check out their discussion boards? just trying to help here.

·
Love this Tacoma!
Toyota Tacoma
623 Posts
If you like the Frontier better and don't feel that you'll take a loss then get one. The fact that you are saying you can come out even or ahead trading the Toyota in should account for something at least, and that's that their resale is good. All though I too bought the 2005 and it being a first year model run of a vehicle I must be very lucky or just don't buy into the myth of first year model items. My Chevy was a first year model of a new design, my YFZ450 was a first yr model design, and then along came the Tacoma I bought another 1st year model design. I have had a few issues with the Tacoma although nothing serious and have been to the dealership more times to get oil filters than I have for service work so far. The most annoying problem I had with the Tacoma I remedied a couple weeks ago myself at home, and was caused by an add on accessory of my own doing. Maybe it's luck of the draw, you could get into a Frontier and wind up with just as many issues as you are having with the Tacoma. I hope the new Frontiers are a lil better than say the early 2000 model stuff, cause I agree that when I rode in my buddies it has an overall cheap feel to the interior and the ride.

·
Engine 80 is in service
'10 FJ Cruiser 4x4
1,040 Posts
After dealing with Nissan Service in the past, there's no way I'd go back to them.

I drove a 2001 Maxima, which I loved, but getting ANY kind of warranty work out of them is like pulling teeth. My buddy bought a 350Z, which had bent control arms from being strapped down too tight on the truck. He went through $800 worth of tires every six months for two years, with Nissan denying the problem the entire time. He got rid of it... obviously. Now, there's a TSB for this exact thing. Besides the Maxima, I also owned an Xterra back in the day. Again... loved the vehicle... but Nissan wouldn't stand behind it when it was fouling O2 sensors every other month.

My 05 Tacoma hasn't even been in for warranty work. To me... that's a big plus.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts