Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Toyota Matrix Lovah
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im so tired of looking at my base baby. A matrix without a a body kit is not a matrix...
Unichip was a sweet mod though... Now im just wondering what am i going to do when i lose all that torque and horsepower?

I guess i will have to stare at the body kit long enough to make me forget about the chip....

Does anyone here has a performace unichip? a supercharger maybe?

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
never heard of a unichip....got a website that we can get some info from?

and for real, the thing about chipping a car is that generally, it's a placebo effect....unless you have a heavily modified car or a stock turbo or blower, there isn't much that the stock ecu can't adapt to for optimum performance....

I don't know much about the matrix, but I'm sure that there actually isn't much power that can be squeezed out of it by just chipping it.....now if you had a 1.8t or something, then that's a different story altogether....just a chip can turn those into beasts....

so longstory short, I guess if you're just trading a chip for a kit, you can't lose

·
Toyota Matrix Lovah
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eye8Pussies said:
never heard of a unichip....got a website that we can get some info from?

and for real, the thing about chipping a car is that generally, it's a placebo effect....unless you have a heavily modified car or a stock turbo or blower, there isn't much that the stock ecu can't adapt to for optimum performance....

I don't know much about the matrix, but I'm sure that there actually isn't much power that can be squeezed out of it by just chipping it.....now if you had a 1.8t or something, then that's a different story altogether....just a chip can turn those into beasts....

so longstory short, I guess if you're just trading a chip for a kit, you can't lose
iguess that as a ricer, a kit will do me better than a chip... the unichip made by jack friedman boosts up your horsepower and your torque although it doesnt do much to matrices, a llot to higher end cars...
show me a pic of your ride!

ps ill get the link for the chip

·
GT-i Crew
632 Posts
Unichip is manufactured by Dastek, a South African company. Its mostly a piggy back computer that will intercept and alter the signal imput from different engine sensors so the original car ECU will react in a more aggresive way by means of more aggresive timing a fueling and thats where you will get the extra power.

NOt half as good as a standalone EMS but its fine if you are not a die hard car performance ethusiast.

If you are walking the RICER path then make the change. Me on the other side, on the performance path, would keep it.

http://www.dastek.co.za/

·
Toyota Matrix Lovah
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lcarocha said:
Unichip is manufactured by Dastek, a South African company. Its mostly a piggy back computer that will intercept and alter the signal imput from different engine sensors so the original car ECU will react in a more aggresive way by means of more aggresive timing a fueling and thats where you will get the extra power.

NOt half as good as a standalone EMS but its fine if you are not a die hard car performance ethusiast.

If you are walking the RICER path then make the change. Me on the other side, on the performance path, would keep it.

http://www.dastek.co.za/
hola!
yo no soy una ricer diehard, yo soy una chica normal con un coche lindo que le gustan ambos performance and appearance. I like both new shoes and a healthy living... I guess it's just us spanish women that want it all. But by no means am i one of those without a life that sticks TRD decals on a 10 year old rolla LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLl

Which toyota do you have?

·
Toyota Matrix Lovah
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TrixGirl said:
hola!
yo no soy una ricer diehard, yo soy una chica normal con un coche lindo que le gustan ambos performance and appearance. I like both new shoes and a healthy living... I guess it's just us spanish women that want it all. But by no means am i one of those without a life that sticks TRD decals on a 10 year old rolla LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLl

Which toyota do you have?
oh i guess the chip is distributed by
Jack friedman who tunes it for your car then...

·
GT-i Crew
632 Posts
Yeap, he may be an authorized dealer/instaler of the Unichip. BTW, how much power did the car yield on the dyno after you got the chip installed ?

Like my sig says... I have a 1992 Celica (ST182) Euro/Jap version.... and nooooo I dont even have a single TRD sticker on my car, as a matter of fact the only sticker I have on my car is a custom made Celica dragon :D

To answer your question: NO, it wouldn't be a wise decision if you like a little more performance out of your car ... and nothing like a sleeper better yet when it's a girl thats driving :lol:

Saludos y un beso.

·
Zoom-Zoom
2008 Mazdaspeed 3
7,128 Posts
hhmm, do you have an XR or an XRS..?

probably an XR if you dont have the body kit..

TRD has a supercharger for your engine (1zz-fe)...

is it an OEM kit?

or an aftermarket kit.?

·
Toyota Matrix Lovah
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lcarocha said:
Yeap, he may be an authorized dealer/instaler of the Unichip. BTW, how much power did the car yield on the dyno after you got the chip installed ?

Like my sig says... I have a 1992 Celica (ST182) Euro/Jap version.... and nooooo I dont even have a single TRD sticker on my car, as a matter of fact the only sticker I have on my car is a custom made Celica dragon :D

To answer your question: NO, it wouldn't be a wise decision if you like a little more performance out of your car ... and nothing like a sleeper better yet when it's a girl thats driving :lol:

Saludos y un beso.
WHATS do you mean by WHEN ITS A GIRL driving!!!!!!!!!!! nah, i think like they say in spain, conduzco como el culo, esas marchas no se me acaban de grabar en la cabeza.... but i try hard! and its been years olf stick shift already but.... uffffffffff
i dont have any stickers yet. im getting ricer flames though.
and i have a tail of the dragon sticker from us129 that highway with 318 turns in 11 miles....
where are you at
send me some arepas by pm

·
Registered
248 Posts
the unichip was a HUGE deal in the matrix community... a few weeks after it hit everyone was selling them... for the amount of money you pay (around 1000$ canadian) it doesnt add enough. it's more of a final mod after cai/exhaust/anything else you've done

on a stock car the gains are negligable, however its currently the ONLY reliable air/fuel management available for the matrix, power fc and s-afc 2's just get reset within a month by toyota's "smart" ecu

·
Toyota Matrix Lovah
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1337trix said:
the unichip was a HUGE deal in the matrix community... a few weeks after it hit everyone was selling them... for the amount of money you pay (around 1000$ canadian) it doesnt add enough. it's more of a final mod after cai/exhaust/anything else you've done

on a stock car the gains are negligable, however its currently the ONLY reliable air/fuel management available for the matrix, power fc and s-afc 2's just get reset within a month by toyota's "smart" ecu
i had all those mods done and my experience waas not so good. i wonder if it was the mechanic s fault, or the tuning was bad, or what....

·
Toyota Matrix Lovah
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1337trix said:
the unichip is not a plug and play piece, you need to take it to a shop and have it custom tuned.. they say its plug in play but it's really not
see, i dont know the first thing about mechanics
i had the unichip put in my car for a tv show so i8 let them do it. so i trusted the producer, the mechanic and the unichip distributor and they didnt do sh*t....

so now i have no extras hp, no one to ask and no where to go in knoxville to have it tuned.

any suggestions?

ps i have a base model and perhaps unichp wont do nothing for me

·
Toyota Matrix Lovah
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1337trix said:
just call a local dyno shop and find out if they can tune unichips...
take it in and they can do it
already went
there very basic.
ill take it to atlanta...
HELP MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE somebody

·
GT-i Crew
632 Posts
Try giving these guys a call for the neares tuner.
When calling the tuner ask if they have a dyno in their shop and tell them you want your car properly tuned, that you wont accept previously used chip programming ie. "We used this program on another Matrix and it worked fine, yours should be ok"
This is because your driving style and the wear on your engine is very different to what they might have found on other previously tuned cars and you can ask the tuner what is it that you specifically want from the chip... more torque, power and at what RPMs etc.

Unichip of North America (Distributor)
Toll Free 866.643.7400
[email protected]

P.S. I tried PM the arepas but didn't go thru, you'll have to pick em up :lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts