Toyota Nation Forum banner

TragicMagic's Fuel Economy - running data log

3K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  sldfghtrike 
#1 ·
May 20, 2022 - 1st fill up.
550.1km travelled.
40.424L to fill tank. (I had it in my mind that it had a 50L tank)
Equates to 7.348L/100km.
Vehicles stated fuel economy: 7.7L/100km.

Definitely anticipate I can reach 600km/tank without making too many adjustments.
There were several times during this first week of ownership that I left the car idling while fiddling with options and menus as I tried to learn those features.

My previous vehicle, a 2018 Colorado had a 70L tank and I'd be lucky to hit 500kms with similar driving habits I employed this week.

For no particular reason I decided to fill up with 93 Premium.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I only sort of tempted fate once with this car so far for the purpose of gathering this information and seeing it with my own eyes. The range until empty was 0 and the warning to fill in gas was on for a few minutes... so warning, flashing warning and then no range until empty and warning to fill in gas. I filled in and I tried slowing the pumping speed a little before it would click and I put in just over 41 litres. So if the 50 L spec is accurate and if it stops at 50 L in the tank, I still had 8 litres in the tank.

I think this is good info to know from my roadtrip post, which you may find interesting:

*It seems you have enough gas left to get about 80-100km's more after the fuel warning light comes on, if you're driving in very light traffic with few stops or on the highway.

That's what they always say, but for some reason this hasn't been my experience. I'm used to getting better than rated FE on prior vehicles right off that bat and maintaining it for the rest ownership (around a decade or sometimes a lot more), but on this car I'm getting around what it's rated. Could be because the ratings system has changed or it could be that this will be my first vehicle which runs better after break in, but I'm at over 15,000 kms now and haven't seen any difference in FE yet. Planning to go on another and probably my last massive 10,000km+ road trip this year, so that should be an interesting data point.

#4 ·
I confirmed that the fuel tank capacity is indeed 50 liters. And the stated highway/city combined fuel economy is 7.4L/100kms with the manual transmission. Pretty much nailed it.

As you stated, I would expect improved fuel economy after the engine is broken in.

*** Interesting that the car is calculating 19kms to empty if the car still has almost 10 liters of fuel remaining. Definitely going to keep close attention to this.

#5 ·
*** Interesting that the car is calculating 19kms to empty if the car still has almost 10 liters of fuel remaining. Definitely going to keep close attention to this.
I'll be interested to see you findings, because like I said I had likely over 8L left in the tank and I didn't fill in at the first warning light, it was DEFCON 5 you have no range and FILL in GAS warning, lol. I can't remember how far I drove after the first warning before it escalated the alerts.

#9 ·
My record was 1308 km... on a Jetta TDI station wagon; 55L tank, but I filled the headspace in the tank by "venting" (a little button in the filler neck that opens up the head space). At refuelling, I put 63L into a 55L tank, LOL! You could get away with filling the headspace as diesel is less volatile than gas, provided you drive for a while after filling.

On the Corolla, on my last tank, the display said 5.7 L/100 km average, and I calculated 5.8 the old fashioned way. That's better than rated, but my driving mix contains virtually no urban driving. It's all rural highways and autoroutes, with a smattering of small towns/villages. I also don't speed, at least not by more than 5 km/h. Our speed limit on the autoroute is 100. I set the cruise at 105 as that's what trucks are governed to. That way I'm not being overtaken by an 18-wheeler doing just a couple of km/h more than I. When I had to commute 200 km every day (100 each way), I drove TDIs and got pretty good at hypermiling. Not only to keep fuel costs down, but to avoid having to fill up more than once a week. I would routinely get 1200 km per tank at least in non-winter months, enough for a week of commuting and some putzing around on weekends. So those habits have stayed with me. Being retired, I'm also no longer in much of a hurry...

#12 ·
I'll head back to the pump later today and see if it'll take the remaining fuel.

Note that the analog fuel gauge is reading above full.

I've never had a vehicle trigger the nozzle to stop that early, if this is what actually happened.

#14 ·
That’s actually a thing. It happened to me once in a rental. I was topping off a day before returning it. When it stopped, I assumed it was full. Looked at the pump and it only used like 2 gallons. Jumped in and it was a 1/8 shy to full.

This didn’t happen on a corolla, but a Hyundai. Was kinda surprised, as this never happened before.

Reactions: voodoo22
#16 ·
I had a completely backwards experience. Many many moons ago, I had a Chevrolet Vega loaner (remember those?). It died on me in the middle of the freeway. By the time I found the owner (no cell phones in those days), then he told me 1/4 tank on the fuel gauge means empty, Really? WTF? It died because I ran out of gas.
Having a reserve after hitting 0 is a good thing.

#18 ·
I was curious what alerts would show as I approached an empty tank.

The Colorado would display remaining distance down to 50kms. Anything below 50kms would be replaced with a "Low Fuel Alert". Which leaves a bit of a game of chance...

Yesterday, as I approached 50kms remaining, I kept an eye on how this new car with communicate to me. At 34kms remaining, it threw the "low fuel alert". I hit the "return" button to clear the alert, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that the Corolla continues to display the diminishing remaining distance.

#24 ·
I want to share my cars stats with you guys since were talking about fuel efficiency. This is for a 2012 Toyota Camry XLE Hybrid that I bought used with 108,000 miles. I've been keep tracking to the best that I could since 2018. Near the end there's a lot of missing data because I let my family borrow my car for months. The green is the price of fuel, the red is the MPG i calculated by taking the number of miles I drove by how many gallons it took for my car to fill up, and the light blue is what the car would say was the total MPG. I just wanted to compare how well the 2 agreed. I always resetted my trip B and total MPG right before filling up. The dark blue dots are just whenever I did any work on my car such as oil changes, tire rotations, added fuel cleaners, etc.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.