Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2018 Tundra
4.6 engine.
Toyota no longer supports a Tekonsha brake controller. They removed the standard 4-pin connection.
The 5.7 engine has an controller built in, the 4.6 does not.
The dealer says that Toyota sells an add on controller that will work.
My question?
Does the add on controller use the trucks computer, or is it a stand alone system, like the Tekonsha.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2018 Sequoia Brake Controller

Hi,
I was wondering how you found out about Toyota no longer supporting the Tekonsha controller? I've been in contact with Tekonsha tech support and my Toyota service center and no one has managed to provide that information. I've been scratching my head trying to figure out what connector I need. There is an unused connector in the wiring harness behind the driver's side scuff panel but it doesn't mate with the Tekonsha Toyota connector that previously fit the 2017 Sequoia. The owner's manual says there should be a brake controller connector in that location so I'm assuming that is what the connector I see is.
Any suggestion you can offer would be great.
Also, I've got the 5.7L V8 w/ factory tow hitch, but as far as I can tell there is no built in controller.
thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Toyota Brake Contoller

Here's what I think I've learned:
2018 Tundra with a 5.8 engine and a tow package will have a Toyota brake controller just to the right of the steering column.
2018 Tundra with a 5.8 engine without a tow package does not have a connector for ANY brake controller.
2018 Tundra with a 4.6 engine does not have a tow package option, meaning there is no brake controller connection.

If you do not have a tow package you can have one installed.
or
In my case, the truck came with a Class III hitch and a 7/4 way trailer socket from the factory.
I'm installing the Tekonsha controller by wiring it directly to the battery/brake switch/7 way trailer socket and the trucks ground.

I am very disappointed with Toyota. Eliminating an easy way to install a brake controller is really a stupid stunt. I suspect they did it force folks to buy their tow package. My dealer was completely unaware of this when I told them I was planning on towing a lightweight travel trailer. If I had been aware of this, I would have most likely ramped up to the 5.8 engine.

I'm guessing your Sequoia may be similar.

·
wjc
2019 Tundra
3 Posts
2019 Tundra Trailer brake blue wire inside the cab...

I just bought a 2019 4.6L Tundra. The blue wire power feed to the 7-blade is available inside the cab, passenger side, under the plastic side panel in front of the front passenger door. It's in a white unused connector. The black wire next to it is 12 volts (voltage always present). The beige wire on the brake pedal switch provides 12 volt signal when the brake pedal is depressed. Running wires for the black 12v and the blue feed to the 7-blade, from the passenger side to the driver side, is not difficult. If you are mounting a 3rd party (I am installing a Tekonsha Voyager), be careful not to mount where it can be propelled by the air bag below the steering column. Check out the link where I found this information - it was for 2018, but is same for the 2019.

https://www.tundras.com/threads/2018-tundra-with-4-6-engine-trailer-brake-install.25884/

My thanks to the author of the information found there - pictures there were very helpful.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Installing a brake controller on the 4.6L is very easy. I've accomplished this on mine as well. This is the harness that you need to get. It has a ground eyelet.

Tekonsha 3031-P Trailer Brake Control Harness 2-plug Wiring Adapter - Toyota

Take the white connector apart to get the wires out and you can plug them into the factory wiring that's under the passenger side dash panel right where the kick panel is. I used a scotch lock to run red wire to the tan wire in the brake switch. You can easily verify everything working with a multimeter and having someone step on the brake and checking the connector in the rear of the truck of the 7boin connector.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Factory brake controler

I'd like to keep the factor look - Anyone know what it would require to wire the factory controller in a 2018 4.6L?

·
wjc
2019 Tundra
3 Posts

I know I am not quite answering the question asked about keeping the factory look, but hope this helps. As an aside, there are some posts on a couple forums that report problems with the Toyota factory controller. It seems to be the case that the factory controller has feeds into the vehicle's computer (this may or may not be true). My install of the Tekonsha avoids this possible problem by avoiding all possible connections to the computer. I visually verified, by tracing all wires, that there are no "taps" for computer monitoring of the brake control circuit of my installed Tekonsha. Said differently, in the 2019 Tundra, the factory-installed wiring that I connected to when installing the Tekonsha is the exact equivalent of an independent, "from scratch" install of a third party controller.

I was hoping to keep the factory look as well, but my dealer quoted something like $1400 to install the factory controller in my 2019 Tundra. $500 or so for the controller, and the rest for installation. I might have bought the factory controller and done the install myself, but I already owned a perfectly good Tekonsha controller. Besides, at that point I had no idea what the wiring situation would be, and Tekonsha did not provide a wiring adapter kit.

With some wire tracing and some info from this forum and others, I figured out where to hook up to the installed wiring to the 7-blade connector, and to the 12 volt supply and brake signals - at the locations where the factory wiring harness would connect. Hence there was no need to run wires thru the cab body and back to the rear bumper. I mounted the Tekonsha under the dash just below the factory install location.

I imagine you could install a third-party controller in the location for the factory one by making an adapter panel that fits in the dashboard opening, assuming that your dash has the space allocated with nothing else mounted there. (My 2019 has an accessory control mounted in that location.)

I'd need to do the research again, but I think that the factory wire harness for the factory controller was NOT installed in the smaller engine 2018 Tundra. I believe the Tekonsha adapter harness goes from the factory harness to the connector on the Tekonsha controller, which is to say that it DOES NOT go to the locations I wired to (12 volt, ground, brake signal, and blue wire to brakes).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Having recently bought an '19 4.6L Tundra, I was considering having installed a brake controller just in case someone I know needed an emergency tow of their RV or other larger trailer. Imagine my surprise when I learned that Toyota does not have a provision to install a brake controller in the 4.6L Tundra! After reading this and other forums (and my background in electronic maintenance) I see that it is possible, and easy, to install an aftermarket controller, but I won't go into that here. The minor issue in the install is connecting the brake controller to the plug located behind the passenger-side kick panel. Here's my thought for a possible solution:

The 5.7L trucks have a brake controller installed. I'm assuming the base wiring harness of the 4.6L and 5.7L are the same. Therefore, there is available somewhere a wire harness add-on to connect the OEM brake controller to the connector at the passenger-side kick panel. If Toyota won't provide one that can be modified to connect to an aftermarket controller, perhaps a salvage yard near you has a wrecked 5.7L truck where one could salvage this add-on harness (assuming my assumption is correct). :smile:

·
Registered
4 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts