Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Below is my email discussion with Toyota about a trailer hitch for the 2019 Rav4 Adventure. They don't offer one and it voids your warranty if you install an aftermarket one (which I have not yet found one available either). What an engineering and marketing snafu. Apparently they may have one by the end of April. I sure hope so.

______________________________________________________________________________________
Thank you for contacting Toyota.

Below is a summary of your most recent email message received and our response.

We appreciate the continued opportunity to be of service to you.
Subject
Toyota Rav4 Trailer Hitch

Response By Email (Aaron J.) (04/13/2019 02:08 PM)
Dear Mr. …,

Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.

We understand your frustration regarding the availability of a towing hitch for your 2019 Rav4 Adventure and we sincerely apologize.

We appreciate your feedback, as genuine consumer insight serves as a primary and rich resource regarding our product quality and customer expectations.

Toyota researches the market in advance in effort to place the highest quality vehicles possible on the road. We do so through conducting interviews, issuing surveys, and maintaining focus groups, among other actions. However, there is no better source than a vehicle owner who takes time to share valid insight.

Toyota respects your opinions on the matter, and we have documented your comments at our National Headquarters, where they remain available for review from the appropriate departments. It is through feedback such as yours we are able to monitor and improve upon the quality of our products and services.

Your email has been documented at our National Headquarters. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Sincerely,

Aaron J.
Toyota Customer Experience Center
______________________________________________________________________________________
Customer By CSS Email … (04/13/2019 12:50 PM)
Toyota,
Using the towing capacity of the Rav4 Adventure as a major selling point and then not offering the equipment to access that feature is clearly false advertising along with being absolutely crappy customer relations. I needed access to the towing feature the minute I took ownership of the vehicle. I was told that a hitch would be available by the end of April when taking delivery on the vehicle which I could work around. Now it seems there never will be a hitch and wiring available from Toyota and no effort by Toyota to provide information to the aftermarket providers of that equipment. Wow, what a marketing screw up this is for you. You should be horribly embarrassed and ashamed by this. I am just simply pissed off and inconvenienced. I hope the aftermarket manufacturers get something going soon. Probably my last Toyota after this dust up.

Toyota Rav4 Trailer Hitch [Incident: …

Response By Email (Aaron J.) (04/13/2019 10:31 AM)
Dear Mr. …

Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.

Congratulations on your recent purchase of your 2019 Rav4 Adventure!

We are sorry; we do not offer a tow hitch for your vehicle. We do not have any recommendations to a supplier or source that may.

You may wish to inquire with your local Toyota dealer’s Parts department to determine if they offer such a product, as our dealers may carry items that extend beyond the Genuine Toyota Parts and Accessories line. Your local Toyota dealer may be able to provide you with a referral to a company who may offer the product.

Please be aware that Toyota recommends using only Genuine Toyota Parts and Accessories for your vehicle. Non-Genuine Toyota Parts, or any damage or failures resulting from their use, are not covered by any Toyota warranty.

Your email has been documented at our National Headquarters. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Sincerely,

Aaron J.
Toyota Customer Experience Center
Customer By CSS Web (...) (04/11/2019 05:34 PM)
I recently purchased a Rav4 Adventure with the 3500# towing capacity. You do not offer a hitch yet??? I am being told you may have one at some point. When is that exactly? Is Drawtite your supplier for the hitch? What will the part number be? What will the electrical connection part number be?
Question Reference # …
• Date Created: 04/11/2019 05:34 PM PST
• Date Last Updated: 04/13/2019 02:08 PM PST

·
Registered
10 Posts
Below is my email discussion with Toyota about a trailer hitch for the 2019 Rav4 Adventure. They don't offer one and it voids your warranty if you install an aftermarket one Accessories for your vehicle. Non-Genuine Toyota Parts, or any damage or failures resulting from their use, are not covered by any Toyota warranty.
I do not read their policy as "voids your warranty", merely reads as "not responsible for damage caused by" the particular accessory. Is there more to this than you've printed? Otherwise, this policy seems reasonable unless it's applied in an unfair manner. You know, like your entertainment system failed because of the hitch. My local dealer will add a trailer hitch, subcontracted out to a local shop, that they claim would be covered by warranty. Of course this costs three times more than DYI.

·
Registered
Rav4 Hybrid
83 Posts
If you read the owner's manual it shows a towing hitch, how to use it, and it provides the connections for one ? ? ? So Edmund's, Road and Track and any other professional manual should TRASH Toyota for making such a claim.

You should forward that letter to those magazines, give them something to laugh at. For a SUV that is suppose to be connected to "off road use" to no have a hitch. I just ordered one and will install and use as my user manual states.

·
2019 RAV4 Hybrid AWD XLE
RAV4 Hybrid AWD XLE
33 Posts
I also read that dealer email as saying if you install a U-Haul hitch and it doesn't fit well, resulting in damage to the underbody or bumper, you are responsible. But they can't void the warranty for unrelated parts of the vehicle if you install an aftermarket item that they don't provide an OEM version of.

·
Registered
2019 XLE Premium AWD
439 Posts
The local Toyota dealers install aftermarket hitches all the time, they install aftermarket stuff regularly, this XLE Premium with 245/65R17 AT tires, blacked out badges and Yakima rack, $36k+.was sitting there last couple times I was there. One of the Portland dealers had a black '19 Limited with a 1" lift and AT tires sitting on the showroom floor earlier this year. Anyone that says adding aftermarket parts will automatically void the OEM warranty needs to read up on the Magnuson-Moss act.

https://apb-law.com/understanding-magnuson-moss-act-relates-aftermarket-car-parts/

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree with "bpedit". I was pretty steamed when I had the email exchange with Toyota and it clouded my interpretation of the warranty. However, my dealer still offers no Toyota Hitch (they don't have one) and no after market hitch for this vehicle (they haven't found one that is proven on the vehicle). They have told me that Toyota may have some information on April 26th or whenever. See note below that was received by someone in my dealers parts department. The attachment was the rest of the note with no part numbers or pictures. And, of course, there is nothing on Toyota's website accessories pages.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Sent: Friday, April 12, 2019 1:53 PM
To: ************************

 PROTECTED 関係者外秘
Hey ******,

I literally got this email yesterday so I just copied and pasted it below for you to read.

The 2019 RAV4 tow hitch and wiring harness package will be available for purchase on April 26. Be on the lookout for it to be listed on the Toyota Accessories Guide website. https://www.toyotaasg.com

Please note the 2019 RAV4 (Gas/Hybrid models) do not have a towing “prewire” for MY19. The Dealer Installed Option accessory towing package is necessary to achieve wire harness support for towing.

Below is a high level snapshot of what will be included in the tow hitch kit. Unfortunately, there aren’t any images available of the tow hitch wire harness kit, sorry.

According to our Accessory Marketing team, marketing images of the entire tow hitch and wiring harness kit will be taken mid-April and available soon after they’re captured.

Chris Savoree
District Manager
Toyota Chicago Region

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rav4 5th Generation Hitch

Was told today by my Toyota Service people that Toyota may have something by June 6th. That is way to late for me. I found a hitch made by Torklift that they guarantee will fit the 2019 Rav4 Adventure so I ordered one along with a wiring kit. They are saying 15 working days until I get it. My dealer said they will install it when it comes. I still have equipment to tow before then. Oh well. Maybe they will give me a free loaner.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I ended up ordering the Torklift for my Adventure. Wondering if the dealer will install to compensate for the 6+ month delay in a Toyota version.

FWIW, I've been waiting a week for the Torklift to ship too.

·
Registered
2019 RAV4 Hybrid AWD
3 Posts
Thank you @Quickdtoo.
I just ordered that Tekonsha 118801. Hoping it works.
Today I blew my brake system fuse trying to test the wires for the Curt C59236 wiring kit that eTrailer sold me. After I find & replace the blown fuse I am going to let etrailer have an earful.

I am using the Curt C13416 hitch that Curt just started shipping.

-----------------------------
2019 RAV4 XLE Hybrid

·
Registered
2019 RAV4 Hybrid AWD
3 Posts
Yep - purchased it last night. Now I'm waiting for them to get stock. I'm 2 weeks from a road trip with this vehicle and I need the trailer.
Thanks again for x-posting that info in the Tekonsha wiring solution from R4W.

I thought I blew a fuse checking the wiring harness last night - looks like I did not. Checked every fuse in all 4 fuse boxes. Check Engine light is on. Hybrid system won't turn on. Something with the ABS system. Even did battery-disconnect process and the CE light is staying on and I can't start it. I bricked my car! I picked up an OBD scanner to diagnose it this morning.

I figure I'm going to screw something else up so I'll get good use from the scanner.

I'll post what problem I created by trying to probe the DS taillight plug with my multi-meter so maybe someone else will learn from my mistake.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts