Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have an 06 tacoma with the towing package and all but when i plug the lights up from the trailer they never light up at all when my headlights are on.
I use to think it was the trailer but last week i got a new one and it does the same thing. they light up for the brakes or turn signal but not for nighttime running lights. any ideas on what and where the problem is?? I know its my truck because i tested the trailer on a firends truck and his worked!!:kookoo:

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Have you checked all the fuses? There are fuses under the hood for trailer towing lights. Test them with a meter, not eyeball. If they are good, take your meter and check the plug in back. There is a diagram on the cover that tells you what pin is for what.

·
Registered
Toyota Tacoma
182 Posts
Chalkie is right, always check fuses first!
my trailer harness prongs were badly corroded after this winter.... i had the same problem until i cleaned them up

·
Premium Member
2,630 Posts
If the truck tail lights work, but the trailer lights don't check fuse 30A TOWING TAIL. Right side top of fuse panel down by your left knee.

·
Registered
45 Posts
you may also need to ground the white wire on the harness(on the trailer) to the trailer itself. my old chevy had the same problem but when i hooked up the trailer to my friends ford the lights worked, something about the grounding. once i grounded the white wire on the trailer harness all was good.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all the info guys i figured it might be a fuse but havent had a chance to check it. I know the ground on the trailer is good though its something in my truck so it must be a fuse. But i figured if a fuse was blown that the trailer would not work at all because the brakes and turn signal work on the trailer just not the tail lights(night time running lights)?

·
Premium Member
2,630 Posts
i figured if a fuse was blown that the trailer would not work at all because the brakes and turn signal work on the trailer just not the tail lights(night time running lights)?
1 fuse for running lights (tail lights)
1 fuse for turn signals
1 for stop lights
1 for lights on truck

Plus
1 for brakes
1 for reverse lights
1 for bat charge

Plus maybe others I've missed. Pretty simple actually (not)

·
Registered
109 Posts
because the brakes and turn signal work on the trailer just not the tail lights(night time running lights)?
Everybody's right. . .check the fuses. I had the exact same thing on my truck in the fall and it was just a fuse. The one specific to running lights.

·
J.O.A.T, Master of none
'14 Tacoma DC/LB
2,691 Posts
After checking the fuses, turn your running lights on with the trailer connected, grab the trailer plug and wiggle it to see if they come on. I had that problem with my lights and it was the connection between the plugs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts