Toyota Nation Forum banner

241 - 260 of 268 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,660 Posts
You mean like smack a rail and seeing if you could hear it at the other end? What do you do about the expansion joints that still have a gap? Or would you send a couple of guys out to check every 100ft of rail at a time?

It's those gaps as why there's a piece of cable bolted to the ends to keep the resistance readings low, so the RR company knows the track is safe. I only mention it, as we have both freight trains and Amtrak run the rails 3/4 of a mile from my house. You can actually see the wire on the ends of each rail visually.
Even though they're not connected, they're still loosely "connected" via the ties. When we were kids we used to hang out near railroad tracks, and we felt the vibration through the rails before we saw the approaching train. The tracks too would "sing" as the vibration of a train a couple miles off vibrated them. It's not like you could get away with a sound monitor every ten miles, but you wouldn't need them for every set of individual track. And in the age of remote solar-powered stations of all types, perhaps a listening station could be placed every three or four miles along the tracks, but of course in areas most susceptible to heat warping. In the end, I'm just spitballing. :dunno:

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Even though they're not connected, they're still loosely "connected" via the ties. When we were kids we used to hang out near railroad tracks, and we felt the vibration through the rails before we saw the approaching train. The tracks too would "sing" as the vibration of a train a couple miles off vibrated them. It's not like you could get away with a sound monitor every ten miles, but you wouldn't need them for every set of individual track. And in the age of remote solar-powered stations of all types, perhaps a listening station could be placed every three or four miles along the tracks, but of course in areas most susceptible to heat warping. In the end, I'm just spitballing. :dunno:

Yup, I used to set out coins on the rails as a kid too. However sending an electrical impulse would probably be safer and less intrusive in neighborhoods. The sound wouldn't really stop the rails from warping, and I don't think sound would let you know if you had rail warpage. But then neither would an electric signal. That's why they have guys riding trucks checking the rails. :D

·
Premium Member
34,660 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Yup, I used to set out coins on the rails as a kid too. However sending an electrical impulse would probably be safer and less intrusive in neighborhoods. The sound wouldn't really stop the rails from warping, and I don't think sound would let you know if you had rail warpage. But then neither would an electric signal. That's why they have guys riding trucks checking the rails. :D

If sound was used how would it be affected by the trains themselves? Trains create a sound through the rail and you would have different types of sounds depending on speed, tonnage ,grade etc.

However if you could design a working system you would end up extremely wealthy.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Big Boy slight schedule change,
https://www.up.com/heritage/steam/schedule/index.htm

Can't make it to Ogden for the big event May 9? That's OK, we've got you covered.
Union Pacific will be streaming the May 9 ceremonies live via the UP Facebook page, located at http://www.facebook.com/unionpacific . If you haven't already "liked" our Facebook page, do it today. You'll be notified as soon as the cameras start rolling.
May 10 events taking place at Promontory will not be streamed live on UP's Facebook page, but will be available via other online outlets.

·
Newbie One Kanobi
8,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #247
That's so awesome. I wish I can make it but that's not going to happen. I'll just have to watch videos later when it's uploaded. I'm not on failbook. But i'm excited and happy UP is serious about this. I hope more steam restoration for other roads happens but I know it's very expensive and UP is a multi million dollar company.

·
Super Moderator
12,688 Posts
Video of Big Boy 4014's whistle getting tuned up. It starts getting good around the 6:00 mark.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
That's so awesome. I wish I can make it but that's not going to happen. I'll just have to watch videos later when it's uploaded. I'm not on failbook. But i'm excited and happy UP is serious about this. I hope more steam restoration for other roads happens but I know it's very expensive and UP is a multi million dollar company.

Looks like it should be available on Livestream.

https://livestream.com/badermedia

·
Newbie One Kanobi
8,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #254
So I went to a train day at the depot where I live two weeks ago. It was great. Had some older passenger cars. Milwaukee Road Hiawatha cars where there, or a few. Had that one where it's a single level with the end bubble or rounded end where people can see out. I'm posting a video. I've seen so many pictures and it was cool to finally be in one! It wasn't hooked up so it was warm. But I guess they do dinners on there and what not. It was cool. And the super dome was cool as well. The guy said most of it was original but some was modified.

So go to about 1:13 and 2:53 that's the one I was in I believe. This is in MN. They just purchased a diesel and are going to paint it in Milwaukee Road colors

·
Premium Member
34,660 Posts
I so deeply wish U.S. rail hadn't been ruined by Amtrak. I took many train rides across America as a kid, and in recent years have taken many train rides throughout England and Europe, and I miss that method of travel. Just saying.

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
This is why Kev misses train rides. Benny Hill meats hottie in train hallway at part 2:08. "Don't you believe it." :lol:

[ame]https://youtu.be/EMId43b-fWA?t=128[/ame]

·
Newbie One Kanobi
8,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #259
I so deeply wish U.S. rail hadn't been ruined by Amtrak. I took many train rides across America as a kid, and in recent years have taken many train rides throughout England and Europe, and I miss that method of travel. Just saying.

I'm afraid it's more complicated than that. It's politics of course. Pretty much the government taxed the crap out of the railroads to pay for their competitors. i.e. Airplanes and cars/highways. Pretty crappy huh? But that's the running theme, tax the crap out of us to subsidize something. Sometimes it can be good but I don't know. Of course other factors of improved airplane technology, cultural shift and ridership going down. After WWII the railroads needed to invest big to recuperate with the used and old equipment that was overused during the war. Of course they hoped that golden era of train use would continue but it started to decline. So it was two fold if not three fold. Catch 22. Do I invest in a dying business in hopes to save it or do I close up shop and save my tail in costs I keep losing. Of course freight is more profitable anyway. Amtrak is an after thought and makes most of their money in the NE. Long distance, not so much. But I vouch for them even if they aren't really competitive. Some reason I go after the underdog. But I hear you. Looks like the new model is regional "high speed" rail. But that will be decades.

EDIT: So case in point of politics. The twin cities had some of the most elaborate street car system. Excelsior (west of the cities) to Stillwater (on the St. Croix with Wisconsin). But they ripped that up cause GM and the oil companies gave politicians money. Saying we can replace it with buses. Of course more and more roads being built and the automobile was a new and independent transportation. A luxury for sure. Fast forward to now and they want to put light rail in. Obviously very expensive as the cities have developed quite a bit. Sad indeed. I get there will be change and I feel you can have both buses and light rail etc. They should have kept some of the system but oh wells! Just ironic.

241 - 260 of 268 Posts