ECU (EFI computer) for manual tranny
Radiator for manual tranny unless you seal off the auto tranny cooler hole
Lots of time & money

Sidney® ™
Repairs tv's,vcr's,home/car audio out of my home
E-mail:[email protected]
Dartmouth,Nova Scotia
Canada
1985 Toyota 4-Runner,solid front straight axle,factory cruise control,sunroof,22R-E,W56,RN60LV-MSEK,rusted rear step/towing chrome bumper with 246 000 KM

·
Cumberland Reprezent'
46 Posts
Sidney said:
5 speed manual tranny
2 speed transfer case
Clutch master cylinder
Clutch release cylinder
Clutch fluid line
ECU (EFI computer) for manual tranny
Radiator for manual tranny unless you seal off the auto tranny cooler hole
Lots of time & money

Sidney® ™
Repairs tv's,vcr's,home/car audio out of my home
E-mail:[email protected]
Dartmouth,Nova Scotia
Canada
1985 Toyota 4-Runner,solid front straight axle,factory cruise control,sunroof,22R-E,W56,RN60LV-MSEK,rusted rear step/towing chrome bumper with 246 000 KM
Correction: He will also need a flywheel, clutch, pressure plate and release bearing. a Pilot bearing, maybe the cross member for the manual tranny is different, He will need to fit a 3rd pedal, He will not need the computer. its going to work anyways. He will only have a check engine light on. He can also get the computer out of the truck that came with the 5 speed tranny. And he will need to cut a hole in the floor.

·
Toyota Fixer
TOYOTA
64 Posts
I did mine for under 300 dollars. But it is a lot of work. I was lucky to have another truck to look at and measure while I was doing it. I have a long bed so I had to get a longer center section for the driveshaft, clutch fluid line, slave cylinder 5 speed transmission, as far as the pedals you can use your current brackets, the only thing that you have to change is the brake pedal and add the clutch pedal. They are both the same mounting brackets. If you have the shifter on the floor the hole is already there, if its on the column then you need to cut the hole out on the floorboard. Upon completing mine you would never be able to tell it was an automatic. There are a lot of things you have to work with including a neutral safety swith that makes the vehicle start with theclutch being pressed, you can get around it by wiring in a loop at the transmission. its a normally open circuit that closes upon pressing the clutch. Good luck and if there is any other info you need let me know. P.S. 5 Speeds out of the Celicas work really well, better gear ratios that put you at lower RPM's while traveling at higher speeds.

·
Registered
86 pickup 1 ton
135 Posts
when i changed my 86 pickup to a five speed i bought an old wreck and did the swap. if you go that route take lots of pics for referance. i did and i did not regret it after afew days of ripping out stuff.

·
Toyota Fixer
TOYOTA
64 Posts
I used the 85 Celica transmission. It works really well. The internal components are pretty strong they are the same as the internals on the Turbo 5 Speeds its just the gears that are different. The shifter is however a little different you have to switch some of the parts over from your old one so that your shifter will work. If you have any other questions email me at [email protected]

·
Banned
2,353 Posts
im actuall doing the oposite to an auto from a 5 speed i inherited an auto tranny for free from a guy who just wanted rid of it. my main concern is figuring out how im going to get the speedo to work properly as the tranny has a cable input and my cluster is electronic, can i switch the speed sensor from another tranny to this one from ajunkyard tranny or is it easier to just swap clusters. i dont know which tranny it is exactly but it did come from an old 81-84 block and my truck is a 94 2wd. im not sure if its electronic controlled but it has a shift detent cable and a few wires that go in to the side of the tranny where the shift linkage is. anybody know what type of tranny it is and if its even possible to swap it in. i can get an ecu from an auto tranny and i can figure out the driveshaft and that stuff i think ill need a few parts for the throttle shift detent cable and it will need the tranny cooler and the shifter but i figure thats about it less maby a different rearend ratio after i get it together.

·
Registered
87 2WD,86 2 WD
20 Posts
I Did This Swap Last Summer On My 86 Xtra Cab Hiluxthe Easiest Thing To Do Is Get A Donor Truck As The Front Half Of The Drive Shaft Is Different The Yokes The Same If You Have The A43d Auto. I Did The Swap In Stages To Reduce Down Time.first You Have To Cut The Hole For The Clutch Master Cylinder In The Firewall. I Used The Whole Pedal Bracket From The Donor Truck Because The Auto Bracket Doesnt Have The Studs For The Master Cylinder And The Brake Pedal Needs To Be Changed Anyway I Did All This First And Drove The Truck Around For A Couple Days Before I Did The Trans Swap There Was No Need To Swap Rearends Because The Gears Were The Same In Both Trucks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.