Toyota Nation Forum banner

Tranny Fluid (?)

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Justin727 
#1 ·
Okay, now I am really worried. I just read on a couple of sites that supposedly it is bad (and not recommended) that you replace your tranny fluid if you have a high mileage vehicle, which hasnt been regularly maintained and that if you do it might cause your tranny to burn up or slip.

Is this true??!? :ugh3: I have an 89 DLX, Auto, approx 120k miles. I got it several months ago and can tell it wasn't regularly maintained. Stupid people :bash:

Now my tranny hasn't been slipping or anything, the only thing I've noticed is a thump when it makes the first gear change. This is the only reason why I decided to change the fluid in the first place. The faster I take off from a red light the harder the thump.

So, yesterday I drained the fluid, dropped the pan, replaced the filter and gasket, etc. The fluid came out pretty dark, a bit gritty and worst of all it felt like water and was way over filled. I suspect that this is why the thump, since there was no real working lubricant in there after 20 yrs probably.... Low and behold I dont even feel the thump with the new fluid. I think it runs better now but is my tranny gonna burn up???? :sosad:

Here is an example of what I read, if any of you care to read it:
http://www.trustmymechanic.com/transslip.html

See less See more
#2 ·
Even after dropping the pan, you still did not replace more than half of the fluid inside the transmission. If you transmission is still happy in a few months, do another drain and refill (no need to drop the pan anymore) to clean it up some more. Unless the car was totally beaten up in its previous life, you should still be fine at 120k miles.

-Charlie

#3 ·
Yeah, I was actually planning on doing that in a couple of weeks time. Just cleaning the dipstick it already looks brown. The quicker I do it the better? Or, should I wait longer, like a couple of months vs a couple of weeks? (I drive approx. 250 mi a week.)

THANKS

#4 ·
My 88 did the same thing with the 1-2 shift.

When I got my Camry with 76K mi. I drained the fluid once and it came out black, so I filled it and drove it for a week until I did the filter and gasket change. Nothing really changed so I did a drain and refill a month later. With each change, it got a little better, but not smooth.

I finally went in and got a complete fluid exchange last month at 85K, but it still shifts rough from 1-2. It’s less pronounced now. There were no terminal effects for me.

#5 ·
It is very important that the fluid level is also correct. I hear the 4-cylinder automatic is very sensitive to fluid levels. My Alltrac automatic had a few shifting hiccups when it was overfilled by about 1/2 quart (it is based on the V6 automatic, so it is slightly different). After a drain and refill with the correct amount of fluid, it shifts great under all conditions (98k miles).

-Charlie

#6 ·
The 1990 3SFE transmission and torque converter held about 12 quarts total (if memory serves). When you dropped the pan you may have gotten 2.5 - 3 quarts. I suspect that you will be fine. Like white90dx said, keep doing it a little at a time until you feel that you have replaced it. When I had the 90 Camry I got in the habit of draining the transmission pan every time that I did an oil change. I figured that way I would change out all 12 quarts in less than 30,000 miles (the recommended interval). Seemed to work, I got 350,000+ miles.

Don't forget that there is a separate differential reservoir that holds about a half quart. Make sure that you can remove the fill plug before opening the drain plug.

Kep

#7 ·
When I refilled it, I noticed that I went a bit over the cold mark, that was just adding approx 2.4 quarts. I have since checked it and now I notice that the fluid level is higher than it was before, what is this due to??? The car was level and sitting cold and it's like it is rising little by little. I swear I aint seeing things, it is now like half way between the cold and hot marks after I've let it sit over night.

In fact, before I had even done the change, I'd get home from work (30 min drive), turn it off, let it sit for like 5 min and then I'd check the fluid level and it was way high, way over the hot mark. I was freaking out, I'm like who was dumb enough to add all this fluid!! I havent had the car too long but I saw it like that at least 2 or 3 times before I decided to drain it. Does this just start happening over time or? I dont get it. Any of you seen this?

#8 ·
Kep, thanks, I am planning on doing that axle fluid this weekend.

Anyway, the reason I am back is because I am actually still worried about this. Especially since I am now feeling some weird things going on that I didnt feel prior to this fluid change.

I went to get something to eat earlier and while I was stopped at a light I felt a slight shrug, sort of like when you put it in drive you feel that little thump. It has never done that.

Also, the other day when I was on a dirt parking lot and I was about to get on the main road... well, just as I was getting close to the stop sign I stepped on it a little too much and spinned the tires. So, I let go of the gas, thought no big deal right? Well, right when I felt my tires on the pavement I gave it gas and it started going but then I suddenly lost it, no go!! Im freakin out, im half way on the road, look down, yea still in Drive so I gave it gas again and then it started moving just fine. Was it just compensating for the spin out? Or, please don't tell me it is now slipping? :(

#9 ·
Get it back to the correct level of fluid. Read the owners manual for the correct method of checking fluid levels (it is slightly different for each different type of auto transmission, I4, V6, and Alltrac).

That is likely to solve most/all of your shifting problems.

-Charlie

#11 ·
Did you drop the pan and do the filter cleaning and gasket change?

Spray it out real well with Brake clean. I did a write up on how to do this but with the V6 model. It should be almost the same for the 4 cylinder.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.