Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I'm new to this forum and was hoping to get some help. I have only worked on domestic and German cars so this is a little new to me. My gf has a 96 Corolla and had the transmission flushed at 109,000 miles. She drives 50 min to work 6 days a week (almost all highway miles). Her car now has 125,000est miles on it. I checked the transmission fluid and it did look like fruit punch :) , but it was a qrt low. Since it has excessive driving, when should her transmission be serviced again? I purchased a filter\gasket, 8qrts of transmission fluid and I just found out it has been done 16k miles ago. Do I need to go through the headache of flushing it? The reason why I am asking this already; I found some tranny fluid collecting on the transmission to the left of the tranny pan. There wasn't too much just a couple drops. I am gonna place a piece of cardboard under the car tonight to see how much it leaks. It doesn't look like the pan is leaking but I am thinking about changing the gasket any ways. Are the transmission lines known to go bad? I am hoping that the service techs didn't tighten the pan down too much.

One more question, I read somewhere in the archives that the dif oil takes 1\2 tran fluid, 1\2 motor oil. Is this true or does it just take III fluid?

A list of common problems would be great so I can prevent some problems in the future. I will be leaving to Cali and my gf won't have anyone she can trust to fix her car.

Thanks so much for the help and patience!
-Gideon

·
Registered
14 Posts
gweedo said:
I checked the transmission fluid and it did look like fruit punch :) , but it was a qrt low. Since it has excessive driving, when should her transmission be serviced again? I. It doesn't look like the pan is leaking but I am thinking about changing the gasket any ways. Are the transmission lines known to go bad? I am hoping that the service techs didn't tighten the pan down too much.

One more question, I read somewhere in the archives that the dif oil takes 1\2 tran fluid, 1\2 motor oil. Is this true or does it just take III fluid?

A list of common problems would be great so I can prevent some problems in the future. I will be leaving to Cali and my gf won't have anyone she can trust to fix her car.

Thanks so much for the help and patience!
-Gideon
Check your alxe seals, where the axles go into the trans, in case they are leaking too.

If you want to do a home run, flush it every 30k. if you wanna do bare maint, drain and fill every 30k

The trans lines are rubber, so.... they do wear out. Just check them out to see if they are seeping, not uncommon.

Ummm, only use dexron! no motor oil! yeesh

If you wanna be spotless with your car, change the timing belt, water pump and thermostat... then drive!

-corey

1 - 3 of 3 Posts