Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Call me DR. DIY or SHGUN
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys i wanna do a Tranny flush on my gen4.

1. what kinda fluid should i get. ie mobile1?
2. What does a full tranny flush entail?
3. what should i look for as precautions for bad signs.

let me know.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I used to rent cars from my local AAmco for business. I had a good relationship with the owner and he advised me NOT to power flush the tranny, just drop the pan and change the fluid. He said it loosens too much stuff and clogs the screen down the road.

·
Prepare tortilla chips.
380 Posts
DO NOT DO A FLUSH. Like the previous guys said, it clogs up the filter once you do it, and kills the transmission in worst cases.

Those high school dumbasses working in Uncle Eds and stuff like that just do what they are told. They tell you that it is recommended, but it is recommended if you want to risk getting a new transmission.

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
The only time you don't want to do a flush is if you have gone a long time before having a flush(70-90k miles or more) It is very important to flush your transmission as long as you have been doing it regularly, at least every 30k. I flush my trans fluid every 15k. It still shifts like new, doesn't shift hard at all. My trans fluid has never even been dirty. Toyota used to reccomend every 15k. Then changed it to every 30k. The main reason for transmission failure is due to lack of periodic fluid changes. The old transmission fluid heats up faster than newer fluid. If you are driving your car harder than normal or have forced induction I'd rec. installing a trans cooler and doing your flush every 15k.

·
Call me DR. DIY or SHGUN
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my 98 i4 camry is @ 72k. no this would be the first tranny flush.

and by flush i was only going to change the fluid. not Power Purge wash it.

so should i go ahead and do it? or am i gonna fuck up the tranny?

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
How bad does the trans fluid look? Do you see any metal shavings in the fluid. make sure to drop it on white paper to get a good visual on the color. If it's very dark I would just do a drain and fill and change the filter. Then do the same thing every 30k. Do not flush it if it is very dark and has metal peices in it.

·
On The Street
268 Posts
trdcamry2003 said:
How bad does the trans fluid look? Do you see any metal shavings in the fluid. make sure to drop it on white paper to get a good visual on the color. If it's very dark I would just do a drain and fill and change the filter. Then do the same thing every 30k. Do not flush it if it is very dark and has metal peices in it.
seeing as you know alot about tansmission fluids and such mine has had it done before my my parents. and i dont know when it was last done. i have driven it for the past 15k. now yesterday i went to a shop to do an expirement and they checked my trans fluid and it was dark not with metal pieces tho. so will it be ok to do a flush?

thanks

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
Check the shops records that your parents brought the car to usually. They should have the records in their computer system. I'm guessing if your parents did it every 30k then worst case scenairio you went 45k on the fluid. You should be ok to flush it. Especially if you don't see any metal pieces in it. It would also be a good idea to have the pan gasket and the filter changed this time around.

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
OK... You guys are really into your myths! There is nothing wrong with flushing a transmission. If you flush a dieing transmission, it will die. If you don't flush a dieing transmission it will still die. The point is that you've waited too late and the transmissino is about to fail either way. Also, niether means of flushing a transmission "power flushing" forces fluid through your transmission at some super rate to clean it. Pump inlet flushing machines use the transmissions own pump to flush the fluid while cooler line fleshing takes the fluid comming from the torque converter.
Pump inlet flushing is better.

You can only change about 1/4-1/3 of the transmission fluid in toyota AT's by draining the pan. It normally takes 12-15 quarts to fill a Toyota AT.

trdcamry2003 is right on. If the fluid has metal flakes in it, the transmission is dead, it's only a matter of time b/c you've already ground it up. Otherwise, change it every 30,000m.

·
Triple A Whore
Z06, Camry, Tucson
7,653 Posts
I bought my Camry with 70K on the clock and changed it when it hit 155K on the clock. I didn't have any problems and the fluid still looked pretty damn good. Changed to a Purolator tranny filter and I think it will last; not saying that I'm going to wait that long for the next change.

But at least I change the oil every 3000 miles.:)

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
Toysrme said:
OK. It normally takes 12-15 quarts to fill a Toyota AT.

wow, whens the last time you filled a dry transmission?

7-8 quarts max in mine, including the torque converter.

who told you 12-15 quarts? expecially in a camry. you realize that almost 4 GALLONS of fluid you're talking about here. we're talking about a tranny, not a radiator.

·
Wannabe Noob
77 Posts
I've never done a tranny flush with the machine before. But I do change the fluid and filter once in a while. The transmission is still running good tho' on m 92 camry.

I heard if you have any leaks the power flush would make it worse because of the pressure increase. And that all the crud coming out might clog the transmission filter.

I was thinking.....I really want to clean/flush my transmission because Im also rebuilding my motor at the same time.

I wanna get that power flush. Then once I get it back I plan to drop the pan and change the filter myself and and then add a B&M cooler.

What do you guys think? Is this ok? Or will it cause other problems besides the filter being clogged?

Also....are there other transmission fluids you guys recommend for high mileage cars?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
damn i would love to do the pump line flush, assuming the fluid in my tranny is all good (checking today0, but 20 quarts of RedLine ATF is expensive $$$, all i have right now is 8 i believe.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
sry for the double post...trdcam what do you use after you've dropped the pan? I was thikning about using a cork gasket sandwiched between the red rtv

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am thinking of doing the same thing that Rasco said. Because the last time I drained atf it was almost the same color as my oil change. I think it needs a good flush and then I will replace the filter again. I don't mind spending the extra money to get it done right instead of buying a whole new car over a transmission problem.

·
Call me DR. DIY or SHGUN
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
damn.. all u guys bring up a good point and counter point.

lol..

My tranny fluid has not been changed since i bought the car from the Dealer with 1mile on the car.

and for part of it's 6 yrs. for 3yrs or so for about 40k miles outta the 70kmiles the car has been drivin hard. bc my dumb ass has a lead foot.

so let me check the condition of my fluid.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts