Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 1985 corolla will not go n to 1 or 2nd. the only time that it will go into 1 or 2 is when it is just started. what can it be??

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
Couple of possibilities.
Either the synchroring for those gears is gone or you need to swap the trannyoils.

·
Guitars and Cars
2001 Corolla S
3,350 Posts
Is it Auto or MT? Either way you should flush out the ATF/Gear Oil and see if there is any metal in there or if it looks burnt.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks. im moving and i have to see if my dad is going to be a :eek:: :eek:: and not let me keep it just b/c its in his name. but i will do it b4 i drive it over here. thanks.

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
I'd swap the tranny oils first, a lot cheaper than swapping the synchros, if that helps great.. if it doesnt..well... too bad.

·
Registered
0 Posts
my buddy and i both have the same problem! EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEM. from a stanstill it will shift perfectly but downshifts to either 2nd or 1st are impossible. let me know if you find the problem and i'll do the same as well

·
Registered
0 Posts
*UPDATE* 1 of the techs at my dealer used to work for toyata and remembers something about those trannys. he mentioned some of them used an atf fluid instead of gear oil. look into that first. a second thing he mentioned was gm has a sycromesh fluid for 10 bucks a bottle that helped immensely in a mr2 prototype they had that also had that type of problem.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
my auto tech teacher said that it my be my clutch that when it gets hot it gets hared and will not go into some of the gears. im trying to save money but putting up tents when people die is not a good way to make money its only 30 bucks a tent and only about 10,000 a year so i will see what i can do with that. is 10 k a year bad for a 16 year old?? o well im taking my ae86 to a friend of mine so we can put it up on a lift and just drop the tranny and see.:lol: maybe it was all the drifting and burnouts i did o well they were fun.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I would say the fluid is the most important. You'd be amazed at how important the type of fluid that is used is. You put the wrong fluid in, you will have shifting problems. Each fluid has its own lubrication properties made for that transmission. Take out the tranny dipstick and smell it. If it smells burnt, replace the fluid. Make sure to replace with the fluid designed to be in there. That and the syncros, like everyone else said.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts