Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Traitor
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night...I floored it with the ECT button on...and the car was going fine but the the rev's started to get weird around 35-40 mph and the car was bumping kinda like a stick shift when the driver sucks at driving it...i let off the gas a little and it shifted into 2nd....has this ever happened to anybody....is there something wrong with my tranny or do i have a loose hose or something...please help!!

·
Registered
750 Posts
As with any suspected tranny problem check the fluid first for level and condition.

It does sound like a bad speed sensor though. You can check the ECM for fault codes to help narrow it down.

·
engineer in training
1,586 Posts
my 92 v6 does this when it shift into first when accelerating, it bumps hard a couple times until about 43 mph then shifts into second, only happens when it downshifts into first to accelerate

·
Traitor
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Luckynumber5 said:
my 92 v6 does this when it shift into first when accelerating, it bumps hard a couple times until about 43 mph then shifts into second, only happens when it downshifts into first to accelerate
do you know what the problem is...or does it just happen to you?

·
engineer in training
1,586 Posts
its gotten worse little by little, when i first started driving hard it downshifted just fine, but then one day i noticed it, then it started getting worse, and its where it is now

·
Registered
49 Posts
karazy said:
As with any suspected tranny problem check the fluid first for level and condition.

It does sound like a bad speed sensor though. You can check the ECM for fault codes to help narrow it down.

EXACTLY what I was gonna say:) :)

Sly

·
Registered
49 Posts
In my experience with ECMs, the way to check the fault codes is fairly simple. Most of the time, there is a sequence of flashes to the "Check Engine" light. I had a repair manual that deciphered the sequences for me.
The car was a 1988 Pontiac Fiero GTV6. There was a dealer diagnostic plug underneath the cover of the center console. Using a paper clip to short out two of the 6 terminals, the check engine light would first flash a code stating the the system was intact and operating properly, then any and all stored codes would flash in the order they were recorded.
My Haynes repair manual would list what the flashes meant. If I would disconnect the battery for at least a minute, these codes would be deleted. After reconnecting, I would start the motor, which would be in a 'limp home' mode until the ECM would receive enough information to start adjusting the mixture, timing, total advance, etc.
Any new codes would be stored, so after a few days, I would check them, and see where I needed to start with repairs.

Hope this helps,
Sly

·
Registered
40 Posts
how many rpm's were u at when it happened? kinda sounds like ur rev limiter may have kicked in to me... i dunno tho, i've never experienced a prob like that... *knock on wood*

·
Traitor
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
emerald_gen3 said:
how many rpm's were u at when it happened? kinda sounds like ur rev limiter may have kicked in to me... i dunno tho, i've never experienced a prob like that... *knock on wood*
it was revving like 5000 then went to 3000 then back to 5000...it was like jumping back and fourth

·
Registered
162 Posts
ya i have that problem

i have auto. i hope it not a trani. i dont want to change mine

·
Sleeper-still sleeping
474 Posts
I know this sounds ugly, but it sounds like your gears are slipping :eek:

When was the last time you checked your tranny fluid and filter? Have a look at your tranny pan. If there are a LOT of metal filings stuck to the 3 magnets on the pan, then you've got gear wear. Does it happen all the time, or only on ECT? Your fluctuations in RPM are similar to driving in gear (3000rpm), then shifting into neutral (rev up to 5000rpm), then getting back into gear again (back down to 3000rpm). If this happens ricght before shifting, then it's prolly slippage.

Better hope it's not slippage...good luck finding the problem

1 - 14 of 14 Posts