Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine at work has a 1982 Celica GT with an automatic transmission. It's in great condition, but he's having one problem with it. It's a big one that is driving him crazy.

The car drives normally in all gears, but will NOT shift into fourth gear. With the Overdirve button depressed or not, the car will accelerate up to 3rd gear, and no further. I told him that there is most likely a problem with the O/D switch. Either the switch isn't working, a fuse blown, or the solenoid in the transmission that the switch activates is faulty.

He's trying to avoid a tranny tear down because of the cost, but he's at his wits end trying to fix it.

Any ideas???

Thanks in Advance,
Sly

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts
well he can unplug the O/D switch and see if it has an open and closed state.

·
The Greatest
3,830 Posts
Ahahah. I must be a pervert cause that title cracks me up. Tranny question. :lol:

I am not sure about this. But there may be something w/ the o/d because o/d off limits you to 3 gears. I dunno whether you kno that or not.

And i suggest you get it fixed or do not do hard driving w/ it cause it could blow your tranny. If your going at like 80 in 3rd.

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
There is a temp sensor for the tranny. If that's broken, it won't shift OD. Its to make sure engine is warm enough before it shift to OD.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts