Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
JTLinna3vze
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have a noise thats always there from the trans.. but i push the clutch in and it goes away.. any idea what this is all about.. i dont think it could be what i think it is cuz from what i remeber from my NATEF class it would make noise when i engauge the clutch..

·
Loose Nut
94 Toyota 2WD Pickup
257 Posts
JTLinna3vze said:
so i have a noise thats always there from the trans.. but i push the clutch in and it goes away.. any idea what this is all about.. i dont think it could be what i think it is cuz from what i remeber from my NATEF class it would make noise when i engauge the clutch..
How many miles on the truck? 2wd or 4x4?

My first thought is it stops making noise because when you push the clutch in, there's nothing turning anymore in the transmission. You've isolated things to a problem with the transmission, rather than a problem with clutch.

First eliminate the obvious - is the tranny full with oil? When was the last time it was changed? Any other symptoms like hard to get into gear?

Is the noise present when you're in neutral, or only when driving? i.e. you're sure it's not the differential?

If it's making noise while in neutral and the clutch pedal released, it's one of the bearings on the transmission input shaft. Hopefully it's just low oil, and you've caught it before serious damage has resulted.

If you've got a 4x4, IIRC, you can put the transfer case in neutral, and then run the transmission through the gears while stationary. This will let you listen to the transmission a bit better.

·
JTLinna3vze
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its a 4x4 with 120k.. just rolled there today.. the only time i notice it is when im sitting at a light in N.. reverse is the only gear i have probs with.. i have no idea how old the trans fluid is. but im going to change it out regardless. check for metal flakes and stuff.. hope'n not to see copper.. but thats my only gripe.. bought the thing for $1 from my bro from Texas.. so if i have to find a new trans soon it wont be to big a deal.. but id like to avoid it..

·
Loose Nut
94 Toyota 2WD Pickup
257 Posts
Well, I hope it's just low oil, but even if it's not that, the transmission can go a long time like that before it finally craps out.

Friend of mine had a BMW 320i with a gazzillion miles on it. Differential howled uncomfortably loud. I mean, you couldn't hold a conversation while the car was rolling. Ear plug kind of loud.

We car pooled for 2 years like that. Well, one week his 320i, the next my Ford Taurus. So 50% duty cycle.

What finally killed it? Loaned it to her teenage daughter, who ran a red light, got T-boned, and totalled the car.

Good luck!

·
JTLinna3vze
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so i go to change out my trans fluid.. problem being my chiltion's and my factory manuals dont have my trans in it.. so i found what i think is the drain plug and when i saw the trans fluid. man i tell ya it looked red like ATF to me... and both my manuals tell me to use 80-90 multi gear oil.. the trans is a R150F.. any clue where the filler and drain plugs are.. and what fluid im putting in???

·
Loose Nut
94 Toyota 2WD Pickup
257 Posts
Yeaow! :disappoin

FSM page MA-17 has a diagram showing the location of the fill and drain plugs, and gives the specification for API GL-4 or GL-5, SAE viscosity 75W90. Oil capacity is listed on page MA-19 as 3.0 Liters (3.2 US qts, 2.6 Imp. qts).

Good luck!

·
Lemon Jelly Donut
many things
882 Posts
if you have not looked at the manuals yet, drain plug is bottom side of trans, and fill hole is passenger side. It sucks that someone apparantly filled it with ATF. was there any metal flakes in the fluid??

riv

1 - 7 of 7 Posts