Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
97 Camry LE
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok. so I will never go back to american cars. I have put almost 20k on my gen4 since i got it in feb, and it has spoiled me. had to put brakes, a radiator and struts on it. none of which was in imminent danger of leaving me stranded.

I have also changed the trans filter 1x and the fluid 4x. And of course the oil every 3k... i have noticed... after a 1.5 hr trip on the highway at 70mph, the auto trans seems to shift pretty smoothly, not as firm as usual. its more mushy than it is if i stay in town driving all day. Does the in town driving heat the tranny up? And maybe the highway driving keep it cooler, and thats why im noticing the difference? I am planning to add an external trans cooler next year. Wondering what you guys think about this....

When i changed my radiator (due to the infamous crack on the top plastic tank) i noticed what looked like another hole, like the one for the temp sensor, in the bottom. now, my question is, has anyone attempted to rig up some sort of sensor that will make an audible noise if it overheats? My mom had a chrysler that had an overheating problem for a while, and it would chime when it was too hot. i think more cars should come with this feature. my girlfriend rarely drives my cam, but when she does, she never looks at the gauges, and i dont anticipate the car overheating, but anyone could blow a hose. and with no audible warning, im sure if that happens it will mean a new engine... thoughts here?

and i have noticed my heater gets cooler sitting at a stoplight, and gets warmer when i get going again. when i filled up the new radiator, it held one gallon of pre-dilluted antifreeze. maybe it needs some drained and water added?

one more... my abs light came on the other day. ten minutes later, it went out... any common problems with the abs on these cars?

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Yes, highway driving is easier on the transmission. Plus the air cools it more. But it's doing less shifting and is in final drive, so less work..I think.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts