Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Afternoon: I was wondering if anyone has tried to take off the front Hub nuts on a 2003 Highlander. The nut size is 30mm, 12 point, can't seem to find a socket to fit. Not sure if it si just a cover over the nut...help please.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

·
AvConsult
3,657 Posts
You can't find a 30mm socket or a 30mm doesn't fit?

I'd use a 6 point, as the nut may be on very tight.

The hub axle nut is staked, but don't recall a cover. If it has a cover there would be a cotter through it.

Anyway, why are you removing the nut?

·
Registered
'06 Seinna XLE AWD, '04 Highlander V6 4WD
1,308 Posts
Our Axle nuts are 12 point!!!

Good Afternoon: I was wondering if anyone has tried to take off the front Hub nuts on a 2003 Highlander. The nut size is 30mm, 12 point, can't seem to find a socket to fit. Not sure if it si just a cover over the nut...help please.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

I have two long threads on the VERY difficult job of replacing the rear hub assemblies in these SUV's. What you are looking for to remove the axle nut on a Highlander. You need a special DEEP "12-pt" 30 mm impact socket. Only place I found one is on Matco and Snap-On trucks. Tried 7 local autoparts stores, no luck. Cheapest option if you can wait is ebay. Good luck!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks...just making sure I wasn't losing my mind. I found a 30MM 12PT at my local Advance Auto parts.

I was replacing the front rotors and disc brake pads.

Thanks again,

1Rebel

·
AvConsult
3,657 Posts
OK, my error on the hub nut--I was working off of memory. I have four vehicles in my fleet....

Did you ask AutoZone if they had this socket in their rental stuff?

So why *did* you remove the hub nut to get the rotors and pads off?

·
Registered
'06 Seinna XLE AWD, '04 Highlander V6 4WD
1,308 Posts
Glad YOUR Advanced had it mine did not!! By the way you DO NOT have to take the axle nut off to get the rotor disk off?? Only need to remove axle nut to replace the wheel bearings or CV axles???

1 - 6 of 6 Posts