Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey 4runner wizards, I'm seeking some sage advise on what to do with a quickly aging 2003 runner with 250,000 miles and zero modifications. Ive been chasing an issue the past two weeks which involved replacing a hub (twice) and the CV axle on the drivers front. I finally gave in and brought it to a real shop who said the issue was the transfer case. Basically it sounds like I'm dragging tin cans. The issue was fairly quiet and sounded more like a light grinding which is the reason for the hub replacement initially. I really like the car, but the quote from the shop ($3000) is pushing sorta close to the value of the car. On top of this I have the dreaded VSC TRAC ABS Etc. lights all glowing on my dash, and in my neck of the woods I hear I cant pass inspection with an ABS light on. Also, i'm due for inspection Feb 1

My big question is, it appears replacing a transfer case is reasonably easy. is this true? should i just do it myself? and while I'm tearing in to it is there other stuff that should be replaced with such high mileage?

Part two is more opinion. With this repair, and a pending transmission replacement (already slipping), whats the chance that I'm going down a long line of expensive repairs and should part ways? I don't have a clue what to due about the ABS light as I've got through several options with no luck. (zero point calibration, fuses, gas cap, brake lights)
Thanks in advance for any help,
Max

·
2015 4 Runner SR5
3,708 Posts
Hey dogg, welcome to TNation.

Seems no-one yet has any advice. You attached to your Runner? Have space and tools to get into Xfer and tranny pulls and fixes? Have the budget to move up to either a used newer Runner or other, or new vehicle?

You could look for a wrecker xfer case and such, save a ton of money and swap it out yourself. I haven't waded into that on my Tacoma or 4Runner yet, so can't really give you much DIY advice on that, sorry.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks FSC,
Ya, not many opinions on this. I'm attached to it, but only to a certain point $$. I got it towed back from the shop. The full list of issues is about $7000 worth of work. Now of course many of these things are not at all urgent (like front shocks NEED replaced) but still, It's a lot. Anyway, I've decided just to part with it for whatever I can get sadly. I'll move on to a newer 4 runner once I can afford it.

Thanks for the 2 cents

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I would think it is worthy of throwing much money at it. Just remember everything on the vehicle has 250,000 on it. You could put in a new transfer case today and spin a bearing tomorrow. If it is rusty-punt!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts