Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Newbbie
2004 Toyota Tacoma
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is that thing thats bolted to the left side of my transfer case? It almost looks like a weight. Whats this for?

·
Lemon Jelly Donut
many things
882 Posts
"Dynamic Dampener" per fsm. supposed to smooth out any vibrations.

·
Cressida nut
91 Pickup (Hilux)2wd
4,586 Posts
vibrations are a function of force and mass. if you change one, the vibrational frequency changes. manufacturers use the weights to change the harmonic frequencies of parts to not match. Chevy had a problem in the mid-80s suburbans that a harmonic happened in trucks with AC, I forget which trans, and 3.58 rear end. about 55 mph the AC compressor (harrison R4) and trans oil pump lined up harmonics and the whole truck resonated. the next year all the trucks had 3.73s (to move the vibration to 75+) and a redesigned trans oil pump

·
Newbbie
2004 Toyota Tacoma
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
vibrations are a function of force and mass. if you change one, the vibrational frequency changes. manufacturers use the weights to change the harmonic frequencies of parts to not match. Chevy had a problem in the mid-80s suburbans that a harmonic happened in trucks with AC, I forget which trans, and 3.58 rear end. about 55 mph the AC compressor (harrison R4) and trans oil pump lined up harmonics and the whole truck resonated. the next year all the trucks had 3.73s (to move the vibration to 75+) and a redesigned trans oil pump
So if i take this off then i will have noise issues?

·
Cressida nut
91 Pickup (Hilux)2wd
4,586 Posts
Maybe. Depends on what exactly was vibrating, when, and how bad. If it's just bolted on, you can always take it off and see if it bothers you. could be a hum, whine, vibration...anything. maybe it only happens at 5 mph, maybe only at 85, maybe every time the engine is at 2k rpm, maybe 6k. only way to find out is to ask the engineer that put it there or try taking it off.

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
It's there to counteract vibrations, not reduce noise.

Toyota put it there for a reason, why do you want to remove it?

·
Newbbie
2004 Toyota Tacoma
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Toyota put it there for a reason, why do you want to remove it?[/QUOTE]

Never said i did, just asked a question.

·
YOTA Master
'93 2wd P/U
2,434 Posts
It's there to counteract vibrations, not reduce noise.
Actually noises are vibrations that fall in the audible frequency range. Mass dampers like the one found on the transfer case are just as likely to be there to reduce audible vibrations as felt ones, Maybe more so.

Victor

1 - 8 of 8 Posts