Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI Guys NEED HELP

I have a 91 MR2 automatic when im driving and it shifts from low to 2nd the tach bounces from 1000 to 2000 and most of the times the car will then quit does anyone know my problem or have you seen it before.

400exrocks

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts
check your kick down cable. it runs from your tb to the tranny make sure that nice and tight. it should be right next to the throtal cable

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Thanks
But i already checked that and i think its more in a sesor or electrical. I already changed the ecu but it didn't help.
Thanks again Rob

·
Registered
93 MR2
11 Posts
zup
looking at the repair manual, in trouble shooting one problem is "drag, binding or tie up on 1-2, 2-3,3-o/d up shift, unfortunatly if the shift cable has beenadjusted your headed inside the magic slush box. Further in trouble shooting it sugests to unplug the solenoid plug on the side of the trans and oporate manual, If theproblem is same it is mech and not elec. It does mention the shift cable alot for many different symptoms you may double check that.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Howdy
Already unplugged the solenoid plug and transmission works perfect when manually shifted, actually thats how im driving it as of now. The car will actually when the solenoid plug is plugged in stall when you drop it in to second. Low is fine with the car not moving then second it stall and drive is fine also when the car is not moving. I took the solinoids out of the tranny and tested them and they also function properly. thats why i think it is electrical or a sensor. Thanks for your help it is much appreciated. Let me know if you come up with anything else.
Rob

·
Registered
93 MR2
11 Posts
Dont know if this will help but there appears to be a number 1 & a #2 speed pulse generator the SPD (#1) goesto the ect and thats it in the diagram. SP2 (#2) goes into the ect and is marked in the diagram control of shift timing, it then goes from the ect to both solenoid vavles. the #1 generator is actually the speedo head in the dash the #2 is the one in the trans. Sounds like its trying two gears at the same time and/ or locking the torque converter. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
93 MR2
11 Posts
Zup again, Sorry I'm in and out, Yes I was meaning the speed sensors, also Did you check the torque converter clutch valve, It is close to the 2 solenoids. Both solenoids and the torque converter valve share the same ground. You may be getting plenty of voltage but have an interupted ground on that circuit.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can you explain that a little further. Where is the ground located (inside the tranny) when i took the solenoids out they were grounded on the mounting bracket for each soleniod. Maybe i am way off track. I m not sure i understand where you mean. I seen the solenoid for the tourqe converter. but it looks the same as the others. Groung by the mounting bracket for the solenoid. Maybe you mean the ground to the ecu. Please explain as i am very frustrated over this problem. The dealer here charges 72.50 per hour and they can probably spend hours just diagnosing the problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts