Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During the first 30 minutes of driving (especially in cold weather) my transmission will disengage upon stopping at an intersection or the like. This will usually happen if I have to be a little aggressive on the brakes to stop. I can feel the transmission disengage and it will usually reengage after about 10 seconds. During that time, if I try to accellerate from the stop (if I don't realize the disconnect has occurred) the rpms will come up and the transmission will pop back into gear usually chirping the rear wheels or at least lurching the truck forward.

Is this a common happening with 2004 Tundra SR5's or is my transmission telling me something?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just bought an 03 yesterday and on the test drive it did the same thing on two occassions. Didn't think it was a problem, only a quirk with the tundras. I hope it doesn't become an issue. Did it feel like a slight bumping sensation just before you came to stop? Thats how i would describe mine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same Problem

I just took mine to the dealer for the exact same problem. I actually printed out your comment and took it with me because it described it so well. They said it is the slip U-joint (???) that is a problem. $400 bucks later it is not doing it anymore. But the work was done yesterday. Well see how it goes.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Its not disengaging. Its slow to downshift.

When you come to a 'quick stop', you're still in 2nd, 3rd or 4th gear depending on how fast your were going.
Pulling away for a quick stop in 3rd or 4th is slow then it'll bang into 1st. Pretty normal. Drive less aggressively.

Exchange the ATF complete. ATF shears thin with use. Thin ATF=low pressure. And, if you're over 100k, drop the pan and change the filter to remove any flow resistance to the pump. Pump resistance creates blowby(pump slip) and reduces fluid volume/flow.

And, if you're ATF is low, you could pump air into the transmission when your quick stop sloshes the ATF away from the pump pickup. So, check the ATF level regularly and top off as needed.

U-joints have zerk fittings. Grease 'em.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
deadrx7conv
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing