Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

Quick question on my transmission drain plug. It's on there snugged and I can't twist it anymore by hand, but if I use my ratchet then it doesn't feel tight at all. Just keeps going and going and doesn't stop to where I can just torque it to tighten it securely. This has caused slow drop leaks from plug when I check it each morning on my garage floor. Should I just replace it with a new drain plug from the wrecking yard and try it or is it the thread in the transmission pan itself where I might need to replace it all together? Thanks!

·
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
5,687 Posts
Plug is like $3 bucks out the door, auto parts store or dealer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Plug is like $3 bucks out the door, auto parts store or dealer.
I went to 4 different auto parts store, they don't have it in stock and told me to go to the dealer. So I will try wrecking yard or Napa Auto Parts or another place I know of.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Advance and NAPA by me have their equivalent in stock.
I got an equivalent plug in stock at CarQuest, came back and took out the bolt and saw that the previous had re-threaded the bolt. The bolt he had on is taller than the one I picked up. I put the new one in no bueno, same issue. i can screw on snugged with my hand, but with the ratchet or wrench, it just keeps turning and turning and doesn't tight so i can torque it. Still cause the small and slow drop of leaks from the bolt. I think the threading in the pan itself is warped and probably will need a new transmission pan. I'll have my buddy come by tomorrow and check out before i order a new pan.

·
I wrench, therefore I am!
763 Posts
Less worse case is finding a repair plug (oversized, with smaller inner plug), or oversized plug (and retap pan to oversize).

Something like this is an example of the former, though it's actually marketed for installing on pans without a drain plug. Current 12mm hole would need to be drilled to 1/2 in.

B&M 80250 Automatic Transmission Universal Drain Plug Kit

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,242 Posts
I would consider having a machine shop repair the pan first.

·
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
5,687 Posts
I would consider having a machine shop repair the pan first.
Depending on the hourly rate and if they have a minimum a new one or salvage yard might be the way to go. If I could go new for $25 or so more than a repair I think I'd go new. Plus if you order one there's no extra trips to and from shops etc.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Depending on the hourly rate and if they have a minimum a new one or salvage yard might be the way to go. If I could go new for $25 or so more than a repair I think I'd go new. Plus if you order one there's no extra trips to and from shops etc.
Thank you, I called a few local wrecking yards just and some told me they can't sell the pan by itself, it has to be the entire transmission. I saw this online that I an order separately for $170 bucks plus tax if indeed I need to go this route outside of the other suggestions in this post. Think it's a good deal?

·
I wrench, therefore I am!
763 Posts
Having an automotive machine shop drill and tap for the next larger size would be the value play here if you're not comfortable running the drill yourself. But it's your $$$$$.

·
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
5,687 Posts
With the pan off you could tell weather there is enough material around the original hole to see if stepping up one size and tapping would make sense. I'm guessing there is :)
Pretty straight forward when it's on a bench vs. on the trans.
Pan has to come off regardless.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
If its a 12mm x 1.5
Plenty of oversized drain plugs that can be used

Reactions: Cvang0697

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Having an automotive machine shop drill and tap for the next larger size would be the value play here if you're not comfortable running the drill yourself. But it's your $$$$$.
Ty for the advice and suggestion. I will consider all suggestions and take the one that best works for me and my budget.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts