Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 toyota camry 4 cylinder, what is the part number for the transmission drain plug gasket? I was told that the size was an M18

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD
2,582 Posts
2000 toyota camry 4 cylinder, what is the part number for the transmission drain plug gasket? I was told that the size was an M18
Didn't have all the details on your car but I believe this is what your looking for?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any parts store, where you will be buying pack of those, will have that info. Get copper ones.
I went to an Autozone earlier and the dude at the counter was surprised that a transmission drain plug even existed, and they only had one which was not aluminum or copper and was a tad bigger, and so here I am after walking out the store 😃

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE Wagon
4,489 Posts
I went to an Autozone earlier and the dude at the counter was surprised that a transmission drain plug even existed, and they only had one which was not aluminum or copper and was a tad bigger, and so here I am after walking out the store
Your mistake was relying on the counter guy. At Advance or AZ I find the crush washers on a rake with drain plugs, washers etc. where the filters/oil are located.

·
'93 LE Wagon V6 '94 LE I4
'93 V6 wagon, '94 I4
849 Posts
Toyota P/N is 90430-18008. I got a 10 pack on Ebay for a few dollars. They fit drain and fill.

·
7,291 Posts
I went to an Autozone earlier and the dude at the counter was surprised that a transmission drain plug even existed, and they only had one which was not aluminum or copper and was a tad bigger, and so here I am after walking out the store 😃
I'd not set my foot at that store again. Dude didn't know what he's talking about. Even sealed transmissions have drain plugs and fill plugs. For this year, and I drained via drain plug all the way into 2012 Yotas, there is a drain plug. Then it's refilled either via dipstick or via fill plug, for sealed trannie with no DS.
Gaskets come in three types. fiberglass, ones I am staying away from, as they deteriorate and crack very fast. Aluminum, which is better, but still cracks eventually and is easy to overtorque. Copper. Favorite ones, they confirm to mating surfaces very well and last long.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd not set my foot at that store again. Dude didn't know what he's talking about. Even sealed transmissions have drain plugs and fill plugs. For this year, and I drained via drain plug all the way into 2012 Yotas, there is a drain plug. Then it's refilled either via dipstick or via fill plug, for sealed trannie with no DS.
Gaskets come in three types. fiberglass, ones I am staying away from, as they deteriorate and crack very fast. Aluminum, which is better, but still cracks eventually and is easy to overtorque. Copper. Favorite ones, they confirm to mating surfaces very well and last long.
Oh shoot I meant to say drain plug gasket, not the plug itself, but same idea though

·
Registered
462 Posts
If he would have taken the initiative to look them up they are most likely available from Dorman. When I wanted engine oil drain plug gaskets we didn't have any in my store but I ordered them from another store, no problem.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

·
イリジウム
12,012 Posts
Either the local dealer counter or as mentioned a pack online.

I usually reuse one several times. So in a pinch just flip it over and reuse.

Oh shoot I meant to say drain plug gasket, not the plug itself, but same idea though

·
Various Toyotas
4,602 Posts
Toyota P/N is 90430-18008. I got a 10 pack on Ebay for a few dollars. They fit drain and fill.
Yeah, that's it. The updated transmission drain plug gasket part number is 90430-A0003, but it should be the same part, or at least it functions the same.

Toyota retail price is $1.90

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If he would have taken the initiative to look them up they are most likely available from Dorman. When I wanted engine oil drain plug gaskets we didn't have any in my store but I ordered them from another store, no problem.

He pointed at the area where drain plugs were, and i saw 1 dorman one that was compatible but it was slighty bigger and made of fiberglass, so I wasn't risking it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Either the local dealer counter or as mentioned a pack online.

I usually reuse one several times. So in a pinch just flip it over and reuse.
Yeah I reused it twice but now its all crushed up and getting stuck on the drain plug

·
Registered
462 Posts
He pointed at the area where drain plugs were, and i saw 1 dorman one that was compatible but it was slighty bigger and made of fiberglass, so I wasn't risking it.
Yeah, we have an assortment in the store too. What I'm saying is if he had looked it up on the computer, just like any other part, he could have found the correct one. Sure some of those they had in stock may or could have worked but to get the correct one he may have had to order it. May or could work don't work for me, I want the correct one. Ordering the correct one is no big deal, hit a couple if buttons, done, its on the way.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
  1. in
  2. Yeah, we have an assortment in the store too. What I'm saying is if he had looked it up on the computer, just like any other part, he could have found the correct one. Sure some of those they had in stock may or could have worked but to get the correct one he may have had to order it. May or could work don't work for me, I want the correct one. Ordering the correct one is no big deal, hit a couple if buttons, done, its on the way.

Thats why I walked out, because he didn't seem to know what to do. I am glad a forum like this exists.

·
Registered
462 Posts
  1. in

2. Thats why I walked out, because he didn't seem to know what to do. I am glad a forum like this exists.
We've got a couple of those at our store too, quite frankly I don't know how they keep their job. Counter sales is a split between knowing car parts and customer service, some of them fail in both categories. I'm 70 years old, retired truck driver, worked on cars all my life, and my job title at advance is commercial parts driver, but yet on a daily basis I outsell and outserve our counter sales people and some days outsell our commercial sales guy. This younger generation just wants a place to hang out and draw a paycheck vs actually doing a job.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I bought a 10 pack of Toyota gaskets like this Oil Drain Gaskets in 2018 for wife's 2017 Camry hybrid, and use them for my 01 Imz-fe. Probably get a similar pack for the transmissions. Although they are pretty similar. Well, I did a quick check and looks like it's a different gasket for trans drain. Duh.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts